www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Vintage > Vintage Schumacher Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nitro 10 Mk1 Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nitro 10 Mk1 Rebuild
    Posted: 30 August 2009 at 7:29pm

Hi,

I am rebuilding my Nitro 10 Mk1 after about 10 years. It runs and i have managed to set everything up so it almost does what i want. However, i need some parts and am really struggling to find them. I cannot find a manual for the MK1 and as i am not fully clued up on the terms and part names it is even harder to find the bits i want.

I have made a new exhaust and some other bits but am now stuck. Is there a current model that has the same parts?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

bryn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:03pm

hi mark, manuals for the mk2 are on the schumacher site, how similar are these to the mk1 you have? is the mk1 based on the original cougar? what are you after specifically?

cheers,

bryn

Ingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:42pm

Hi Bryn,

I cannot find the manual for the mk2 on the schumacher site. I am after servo mounts, front arms and pull start. Will go have a look at the cougar.

Thanks for your help

Mark

bryn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2009 at 8:12pm

hi mark, here is the parts listings for the mk2

http://www.racing-cars.com/products.asp?category=Old+Cars+%2 6+Parts&subcategory=Nitro10+Mk2

i may have the arms and servo mounts if they are the same as a cougar. could you put some photo's of the car up on here, and maybe we could se from there. i'm sure we could sort it out. failing that, schumacher do have a helpful parts dept, they may be able to help phone number 01604 790580

cougar manual here: http://rc-racing.110mb.com/Schumacher%20Cougar%20Manual.pdf

cheers,

bryn

Edited by bryn
IamSerious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSerious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Ingers Ingers wrote:

Hi,

I am rebuilding my Nitro 10 Mk1 after about 10 years. It runs and i have managed to set everything up so it almost does what i want. However, i need some parts and am really struggling to find them. I cannot find a manual for the MK1 and as i am not fully clued up on the terms and part names it is even harder to find the bits i want.

I have made a new exhaust and some other bits but am now stuck. Is there a current model that has the same parts?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

I have converted both the mk1 and mk2 manuals to .pdf format, so if you pm me an e-mail address, I'll get those sent through ASAP.

I have quite a few Nitro 10s, mk1, 2 and 3... as well as Nitro21s and 4x4s, and a LARGE amount of parts.... so once you've perused the manuals, we can work out part numbers and get you back on your way...

Regards,

Alex

Ingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 8:58pm

Alex PM sent, thanks mate.

I am struggling to add photos but will keep trying.

I have had the car for 17 years and still starts quite easy, but as you will see when i finally get pictures up, the chasis is a little twisted, the steering sticks (Possibly poor servo's, have ordered some futaba's, no idea ithey are any good but they rop up a lot so thought would give them a try) and i think i need shocks. Plus cant spend loads of money or wife will notice. :o)

Fun fun fun

thanks for all your help

Ingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:23pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSerious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 2:59am

Matey, I have cleaned out my inbox, thanks for letting me know it was full...

What you have there is not a Mk1 Nitro 10.... it is in fact the second generation Nitro 10 Mk3. Interesting exhaust!

The chassis pan is part number U1690W..... don't think they're still available from Schumacher, but your friendly neighbourhood Nitro 10 guy has one .... and they're a lovely shade of blue!!!

Alex

Ingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 8:22am

Thanks Alex, I have sent another PM.

The Interesting Exhaust came about due to the original exhaust getting damaged. (Well, ripped into 4 pieces). When i ran the car without it i realised why i needed it. I had the copper pipe so made one using that. Its not pretty but it works.

I have some parts on order and 2 new servos that arrive on Monday. I am currently struggling with the steering. The servo has a spring on it. I assume to aid the return to straight. The spring is fouling the fuel tank and i cat set any further away. In addition the turn to the left is smooth to half lock and then it almost jumps to full lock. I have checked the main arms and they are both ok and dont seem to be snagging on anything. The turn to right is smooth all the way. Any ideas?

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSerious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Ingers Ingers wrote:

Thanks Alex, I have sent another PM.

The Interesting Exhaust came about due to the original exhaust getting damaged. (Well, ripped into 4 pieces). When i ran the car without it i realised why i needed it. I had the copper pipe so made one using that. Its not pretty but it works.

I have some parts on order and 2 new servos that arrive on Monday. I am currently struggling with the steering. The servo has a spring on it. I assume to aid the return to straight. The spring is fouling the fuel tank and i cat set any further away. In addition the turn to the left is smooth to half lock and then it almost jumps to full lock. I have checked the main arms and they are both ok and dont seem to be snagging on anything. The turn to right is smooth all the way. Any ideas?

Mark

Mark,

For starters, you can try flipping your steering servo over 180 degrees, so the servo horn mounts forward of the truck, rather than rearward. You'll need to shorten the steering output rod (via the grub screw collar), as it's set up for rear mount.... the spring is part of the Schumacher servo saver mechanism, a lot of people replace it as it's a little basic..... but it can work okay.

As for not being smooth turning left, that sounds like servo gears.... see how you go with the new servos...

Alex

Ingers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2009 at 10:49am

Alex,

New servos on and mounted forward as suggested, servos are defo better than the old ones i had but still, when turning to the left it gets half way the almost clicks before going again. It is like it is trying to dislocate. I will try and record it and post it up. There is nothing blocking the path.

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSerious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2009 at 1:05am

Mark,

I finally found my Mk3 manual, and have scanned it in.... it and a two page manual addendum are on their way to your e-mail address.

Still sounds like something is binding somewhere.... I would try the following:

1. Remove the steering linkages from the ends of the  centre track rod, and see if there's still a problem; if not, then the problem is one of the wheel hubs, add each one in turn to identify.
  2. If the problem is still there with the steering links removed, take a look at the link from the steering servo to the steering yokes... in the old days that used to stick out below the top yoke where it anchors to, and could sometimes hit the bottom steering yoke as they cross over (part U852V in the manual). I know I had some clearance issues with my original Nitro 10 at this point.
  3. You could also check that the U850X Ball Studs on the centre track rod are not fouling on anything as they sweep through their full movement.
  4. Last option would be to disassempbe the Schumacher steering servo saver and ensure it is working smoothly (spring not binding anywhere), and maybe consider replacing it with a more high spec item (Kimbrough Products are the usual suspects here).

Let us know how you go!

Alex

Sx3Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sx3Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 11:52am
Hey guys I have three nitro tens which I am building up, my main one which I have had for decades has developed a problem ! It seems to be losing drive ? I have tightened the diff and checked the clutch in the bell of the engine but still no joy.... Anyone any ideas ? I am running an Irvine 15R with the EFRA 60 pipe what a rocket it is...was....erm.... I don't have any manuals for it so I am at a loss..... Sorry if I have hijacked the thread btw

Cheers

Richie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSerious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Sx3Richie Sx3Richie wrote:

Hey guys I have three nitro tens which I am building up, my main one which I have had for decades has developed a problem ! It seems to be losing drive ? I have tightened the diff and checked the clutch in the bell of the engine but still no joy.... Anyone any ideas ? I am running an Irvine 15R with the EFRA 60 pipe what a rocket it is...was....erm.... I don't have any manuals for it so I am at a loss..... Sorry if I have hijacked the thread btw

Cheers

Richie

Richie,

Sounds like your diff is slipping.... if you need them, PM me an e-mail address, and I will send through the Nitro 10 manuals.

Alex
Sx3Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sx3Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 1:22pm
Hey Alex, I pulled the diff, rebuilt it and re tensioned it and its sorted now thanks... Did you manage to email me the instructions as nothing revived at my end ?

Cheers

Richie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic