www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Rascal Exhaust Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Rascal Exhaust Mod
    Posted: 14 April 2009 at 12:49am
I'm sure all of us Rascal owners are pretty frustrated with the stock exhaust setup.  After looking at a few examples of pipes running along side the chassis or even up and over the top I have found a pretty cool alternative to the stock setup.  It does involve a little work to get it all fitting together but the difference is outstanding.

Here's two pics,

As you can see I have done away with all the stock parts.  I used a manifold from a Nitro Stampede with its silicone joining tube and stock plastic exhaust.  Ideally I would have liked a metal pipe but this has certainly made a difference in performance and its only about 20 to setup unless you need to buy a Dremmel or similar.

Although I didn't try to mount the pipe any other way I am sure it can be attached to the back end of the Rascal somehow if you don't have a wing mount.

The biggest issue is getting the manifold to fit.  You can't see it in the pic but the side where the carb is has to be cut right down and a nut and bolt used to secure it, you then need to shave a little off the nut so the engine will pass the screw on the gearbox and not foul.  My first attempt was mm's out and the engine sat slightly angled which resulted in me stripping my spurs.  I found you can use the stock black rubber pipe to link the header to the pipe but I have gone with the Traxxas blue silicone pipe as it is a wider diameter and designed to work with the set.  As you can see it runs out through the shock tower where the stock pipe is situated.  In order to get it through I had to cut an area off the moulding set http://www.racing-cars.com/products.asp?recnumber=840 so the pipe would bend round without kinking.  I then had to file out the hole in the shock tower to accomodate the slightly wider diameter of the blue pipe.  This was easily done with a conical grinding stone in a cordless drill.

Link it all together, secure with zip ties and you have a nice clean setup with no more leaking over the chassis.

It does seem to have improved performance and as a bonus it sounds a lot more aggressive;).

Edited by stormdrum
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 10:59pm

Smart looking mod mate. 

God that stock exhaust is comical; it's one of the reasons I chose NOT to buy a Rascal...

stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 11:36pm
Thanks, at the risk of sounding like I am blowing my own trumpet this is a brilliant setup.  The biggest issue is getting the mounting point on the far side right.  It is a case of mm's and I have found if you take too much off the manifold the heat seems to cause the screw mount hole to fall to bits.  I need to figure out a way of keeping the manifold tight against the crank case and it will be spot on.  I am trying JB Weld at the moment with the aim of fixing the manifold to the crank case permanently. 

The pic below shows in red what needs to be cut off, as you can see it leaves very little margin for error!

Edited by stormdrum
trilegs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trilegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 12:35pm

Hey Stormdrum that looks cool.  You have done it and kept the Rascal look!  Schumacher should have a look, bite the bullet and make a manifold that fits YOUR exhaust!  I'll get some pics of my half finished pipe a bit later, out with the kids for a while. 

I think you'll be a bit disappointed though, I've basically followed the new era design.  Don't like the rough tube I've used for the pipe and I've got to hack the body yet!  Oh well, as long as it gets rid of that stock pot I'll be pleased. 

trilegs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trilegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 2:00am

Hi, as stormdrum says we are pretty frustrated with the stock exhaust setup.  Here is my effort to try and get a bit more power out of the Rascal while getting rid of the bucket behind the engine.  It's not as well thought out as above and I admit that all I've really done is copy the system from new era but when it's finished and the body is cut to match it should work better Thumbs Up, I hope. 

Anyway I'll try to load some pictures....

">Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />

Tell me what you think and more importantly where I can improve. 

topbuzz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 7:31am
ive been watchingthis thread and want to know is there any  exhaust mods  from anyone  that bolt straight on
trilegs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trilegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 8:47am

But that would be too easy! 

We need to suffer for our Schumacher art!!! 

And I can't find a simple bolt on exhaust that looks cool, provides more power and gets rid of a bucket behind the engine! 

On a slightly different note, I've installed the CRT.5 supports for the rear wing and the wing itself is coming hopefully tomorrow, it's going to look cool at the back (cheers stormdrum, great mod and top advice too!) 

If you want to see pics when the pipe is mounted and the body has been trimmed to fit (just the offside front wing then, eh?) just let me know. 

Thanks,

Sean.

stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 12:04am
Sean, the top pic you have uploaded shows exactly where I encountered the biggest problem with my mod.  The nut/bolt on the right of the manifold as we look at the pic has to be cut or fitted just right as the slightest catch on the screw visible in the gear housing knocks everything off centre.

I see what you mean about it looking like the New Era setup and from the look of it you should not suffer any loss in performance if it is the same.

It will be interesting to hear how it performs and if there is more power once finished.  With mine I wasn't going for power increase, the two speed gives it the extra oompf I need.  I was just sick of all the unburnt fuel leaking all over the chassis from the stock pipe.  The small increase in power was just an added bonus.  The manifold plate looks quite thin?  This was an issue with my mod.  In order to make it fit I had to trim down my manifold so it was very thin, the heat seemed to crack the fitting as it was so thin which caused a problem.  Three manifolds later I got it sorted with a file and it fits very tightly with no heat destruction issues.

I can't take credit for the wing idea, I saw it in the Rascal thread and a few other examples around the net and copied, its definately a nice mod to give the Rascal a slightly different look.

topbuzz, I think these are the closest you are going to get to a solution.  The way I have done mine is probably the easiest way to at least preserve the looks of the Rascal.  I have improved it since my initial post so will upload some updated pics to show what you need, how it is done and hopefully a small video so you can see it all working. 

Edited by stormdrum
trilegs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trilegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 3:36am

Hi Stormdrum. 

The bolt on the ride hand side of the manifold is extremely tight for space!  What I've done is put 4 small washers on the other side of the bolt, the head end to take up some of the length.  Since the pic at the top I've added another washer for more room as I was not getting the nut really tight. 

The manifold is very thin as I had to make it out of a stainless steel washer.  I could not find a way of joining the stainless flexi pipe to an alloy manifold, so I had to make my own.  I then silver-soldered the flexi-pipe to the washer. 

I've done a bit more work on it tonight, not far off now.  Need a longer silicone joiner and the wing should be here in a few days.

Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />

As you can see on the 4th pic there is enough clearance (just!) when on full lock with the suspension compressed, I was a bit concerned about that.  Just got to trim the back of the shell for the wing.  And road test!!!  Hope it doesn't fall to bits....Embarrassed

stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 9:14am
That looks really good, nice and neat.  
trilegs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trilegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 10:37pm

Thanks. 

Got it close to finished now.  The tank lid is broken, just need to get that fixed and I can take the Rascal on an extended road test.  Got loads of fuel! Bit frustrating, stopped by another bit that fell off!!!Angry

Oh well......

TexasRacer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 1:02am

LOL

that looks like the baby brother to my Menace

trilegs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trilegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 9:08am

Well look at that, great minds think alike!!Thumbs Up

Some cool bits on your Menace, looks strong. 

trilegs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trilegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2009 at 5:51pm

It's finished!

Even got the crt.5 wing on the back, looks cool. 

The Rascal might not have been tuned well before I changed the exhaust because the Rascal is much quicker than before.  I used to get wheelies on full throttle only on a rise or when I was just lucky.  Now it wants to wheelie all the time, on 3/4 throttle!  The car sounds much crisper too, a real two stroke crackle compared with before.  This is with the Riot pipe. 

Just put a tank through, no jumps but wheelies, dough nuts etc. I even rolled it twice.  Nothing fell off!!  Yet.

Anyone want pictures? 

stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2009 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by trilegs trilegs wrote:

Anyone want pictures? 

Yes
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2009 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by TexasRacer TexasRacer wrote:

LOL

that looks like the baby brother to my Menace

Those are some nice rims mate, what make are they?  I shredded a rear tyre last month and I'm looking for a new rim/tyre combo.

Oh yeah, do you need different hexes/drive shafts?

Edited by Paul M
FrostByteUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrostByteUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Paul M Paul M wrote:

Smart looking mod mate. 

God that stock exhaust is comical; it's one of the reasons I chose NOT to buy a Rascal...

Comical is the havoq's exhaust

TexasRacer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Paul M Paul M wrote:

Those are some nice rims mate, what make are they?  I shredded a rear tyre last month and I'm looking for a new rim/tyre combo.

Oh yeah, do you need different hexes/drive shafts?

They are

Pro-Line Dirt Works tires

HPI Split 5 wheels

The wheels come with plastic adapters to run them but I went ahead and got these

HPI aluminum hex hubs

aqib2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aqib2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 11:00pm

i think i have done a better mod to my rascal!

i got the schumacher riot exhaust header/manifold, which clears wishbones and wheels easily and able to fit tuned pipe with ease (smaller one). will upload pic shortly.

although you have to use a smaller exhaust slike the one fomr the schumacher havoc.

this adds at least 60-70% more power. mine wheelies like mad from 1/8 throttle. and i will upload my custom wheelie bar.

trilegs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trilegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 7:03pm

Hi. 

Finally got some pictures of the finished Rascal. 

My daughter kindly took the shots while I crashed and ran over everything in our garden!  Emily stood on a garden chair.....

So, it flys!  A lot more punch than before with the old exhaust.  I crash it a lot, not broken yet.  That is, my work has not broken yet, I'm still getting through fuel tanks and repairing the clutch every other run it seems...

Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />Photobucket" border="0" />

Look forward to hearing your views, good or bad. 

BTW, the wing looks cool (I think)

Cheers and thanks for your help Stormdrum!!

What next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic