www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Electric Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ask the team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grainger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ask the team
    Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:52am

Hi all

Me and Lee thought it was a good idea if we started a question and answer thread, feel free to ask anything! car related that is ! We may not reply always fast but we will try to check in as often as possible

Chris Grainger

Edited by Chris Grainger
Kirby Masterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Masterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 6:59am
will you go to titc next year?

that track is weird with setups..

i found a competitive setup during the last few qualifiers, but i didn't have the balls to change it for the race
Chris Grainger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grainger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 11:11am

Originally posted by Kirby Masterman Kirby Masterman wrote:

will you go to titc next year?

Hi

I wanted to go this year, its a great race and the best track in the world! But I did not think we where ready as I only got my car in January, I Plan to try and go next year

All I can say is when I drove Yokomo my std set ups where not great there, we had to change quite a bit, But until I run my Schumacher there I cant really help much

Chris

Edited by Chris Grainger
Jamie Vassallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Vassallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 2:13pm
Hi Chris,

Just thought i'd ask a few questions to get the ball rolling!

What benefit do you get from the new rear shock tower?
Do you run a servo saver?
If you don't run washers on the front hexes (as your carpet set up) don't they rub on the wheels?
I know there has been debate about whether the roll bars actually work that well on the car in there current mounting positions. Have you been testing new positions or is using stiffer bars the answer ?

Thanks
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grainger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 3:16pm

Originally posted by Jamie Vassallo Jamie Vassallo wrote:

Hi Chris,

Just thought i'd ask a few questions to get the ball rolling!

What benefit do you get from the new rear shock tower?
Do you run a servo saver?
If you don't run washers on the front hexes (as your carpet set up) don't they rub on the wheels?
I know there has been debate about whether the roll bars actually work that well on the car in there current mounting positions. Have you been testing new positions or is using stiffer bars the answer ?

Thanks

Hi Jamie

The rear tower was the first change I asked for. its much better, more traction as the body does not roll around through the corners.

No I dont like servo savers, I like my steering direct, but it will strip servo gears in a big crash..

at the moment I have a 1mm spacer on the rear and nothing on the front, the rear rubs with no spacer but the front is fine. There will be some new wider hex,s coming soon

I am testing roll bar positions, they work fine as they are but they are a little soft due to the pick up points and hard to tweek with no adjustment, at the moment I think just harder bars will be fine, and bend the bar a little to get any tweek out, but I need to test more. We are looking at making new mounts with a grub screw to remove play..

Chris

Edited by Chris Grainger
BagofSkill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BagofSkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 7:09pm
I fitted HPI's new TC roll bal links so I could tweek out the bars in the standard position. It works really well.

Chris and Lee, awesome to have your brains on board! I'm glad you asked for the rear body mounts because that's the first thing I thought of when I took mine out of the box last month!

When you're developing your setups what makes you settle on lower wishbone shim hight? Is it just a matter of trying to keep the arms level at a given ride hight or are you using it in conjunction with the top link to set static roll centre, adjust roll centre migration and camber gain.

Cheers, Chris.
Chip84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chip84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 7:22pm
Daft question but the rear screw block spacers all the set ups say eg 2 front 0.5 rear which block is classed as the front on the rear blocks?
timmay langdell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmay langdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 7:34pm
one furthest forward :)
Chip84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chip84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 7:44pm
Cheers for that 
BagofSkill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BagofSkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 7:44pm
Will the new wheel hexes be clamping style?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grainger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 7:46pm

Originally posted by Chip84 Chip84 wrote:

Daft question but the rear screw block spacers all the set ups say eg 2 front 0.5 rear which block is classed as the front on the rear blocks?

four blocks on the car, front front, front rear, rear front. rear rear

Front of the car is the bit with the bumper

Chip84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chip84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 7:49pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grainger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 7:53pm

Originally posted by BagofSkill BagofSkill wrote:

I fitted HPI's new TC roll bal links so I could tweek out the bars in the standard position. It works really well.

Chris and Lee, awesome to have your brains on board! I'm glad you asked for the rear body mounts because that's the first thing I thought of when I took mine out of the box last month!

When you're developing your setups what makes you settle on lower wishbone shim hight? Is it just a matter of trying to keep the arms level at a given ride hight or are you using it in conjunction with the top link to set static roll centre, adjust roll centre migration and camber gain.

Cheers, Chris.

Thanks for that.

Nothing to do with arm angle really, its been found by everyone that the pins 5mm from the top of the chassis gives the best all round traction with the std rubber tyre size. so 3mm rear 2mm front on a 2.5mm chassis gives that, I would expect lower it and you will loose traction with to much roll. raise it you will lose traction with not enough roll. all other teams run between 5 and 5.75. then just adjust upper link to suit..

No new clamps will be o ring still

TeamAllmuddly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamAllmuddly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 8:31pm

Hi on, an outdoor surface, or in general. What are the simpliest ways of increasing turn in. decrease camber toe in?

Do you have an outdoor you do in order to increase it, its something i have issues with what to do and when?

thanks

Chris

lee woodhams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee woodhams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by TeamAllmuddly TeamAllmuddly wrote:

Hi on, an outdoor surface, or in general. What are the simpliest ways of increasing turn in. decrease camber toe in?

Do you have an outdoor you do in order to increase it, its something i have issues with what to do and when?

thanks

Chris

Hello all,

For more front bite, you could go up a few ibs on the front spring.

That won't give you more steering but the car will turn in harder.

Thanks timmy.

Cheers

Lee

walden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 8:21am

Shock rebound

Hi Chris & Lee

Cheers Chris for the guide but still having trouble setting my shocks up, i looked back through the Mi3.5 manual to see if there was any diagrams that i could refer to but there is only instructions of how to fill the shocks up,

Would it be possible to have some diagrams drawn up or pics put up the website here please? this would be a fantastic help for everyone

Cheers guys

Paul

deejay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 9:07am
Hi Chris when you talk about roll center you say the pin shuld be 5mm of the chassis, is this to the middle of the pin? Thanks
Sylar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 1:55pm

Hi Chris and Lee.

What motor will you be running at the WLRC National this year?

How does changing the diff heights affect the car?

Thanks for your help.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grainger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by walden walden wrote:

Shock rebound

Hi Chris & Lee

Cheers Chris for the guide but still having trouble setting my shocks up, i looked back through the Mi3.5 manual to see if there was any diagrams that i could refer to but there is only instructions of how to fill the shocks up,

Would it be possible to have some diagrams drawn up or pics put up the website here please? this would be a fantastic help for everyone

Cheers guys

Paul

Hi Paul

Not sure how I could do a diagram really, but I will try and explain

pull piston fully out.

fill with oil to level with top.

move piston up and down a few times and let stand to get all the air out, of use a air remover pump.

then put shaft in the correct position, fully out for 100 percent rebound, half in for 50% etc

While holding it that position place the bladder on top, gently push it into place with your finger or hex driver

Then without moving anything screw the lid on, being carful not to move the bladder.

Dont over tighten the lid, just finger tight.

Then when you push the piston in it should come out to where it was set..

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grainger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 4:50pm

Originally posted by deejay deejay wrote:

Hi Chris when you talk about roll center you say the pin shuld be 5mm of the chassis, is this to the middle of the pin? Thanks

Center of pin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
  Share Topic