www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Electric Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ask the team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamSchumiSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Benzaah Benzaah wrote:

For someone so new to the Team Martin your input thus far has been greatly appreciated.

+1 TX Martin
Jamie Vassallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Vassallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2011 at 10:20am
2 questions for the team :-

When you set rebound what makes you choose less or more. ie high grip track 100% low grip 0% - or is it to do with bumps ?

If my roll bars don't work both ways. ie lifting one arm without the shocks connected and other arm does not lift I assume it is pointless having a roll bar ?
(They are free and untweaked ?)

Thanks

mk2kompressor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2kompressor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2011 at 7:11am
What roll bars are you using?
the wishbones and roll bar mounts by the diffs should be as free as
possible allowing the roll bars to work effectively .
Sometimes if you are using quick clips on the pivot pins, they can
have molding lines on them that make the arms bind slightly, worth
checking and sanding a little if needed.
always check your wishbone hangers after every run to make sure
they have not twisted around slightly, use a feeler blade between the
clips when tightening to get just the right amount of play in the arm to
allow it to be as free as possible.
This is assuming you have used a reamer on the arm holes.

TeamSchumiSA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamSchumiSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 8:03pm
My view on rebound is this:

I prefer more rebound on bumpier tracks, mostly run at 100%, as it feels like it helps the shocks recover quicker from bumps, ruts and un even areas on the track,

For smooth track i prefer much less rebound 20% or less and run with a vented/drilled (1-1.5mm) shock cap and found this works very nicely

just my 2 cents, will be nice to get others views and ideas on this
timmay langdell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmay langdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 10:20pm
high traction tracks less rebound like carpet and more rebound on low traction tracks.
with the roll bars you will need to twist them so they both work equal, even if they are flat on the table will not mean they work equal on the car,it takes ages to get right but well worth doing as the car will react different from left to right.
Jamie Vassallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Vassallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 11:57am
Timmay,

The wishbones are totally free so it would appear some bending needs to take place !!

If when looking at the front of the car I can lift the left wishbone up and the right side does not move - What side of the roll bar do I bend and in what direction ?

Beale View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 9:14pm
Lift both sides individually you are trying to make the opposing side move by an equal ammount i.e lift the left side up as high as it will go measure how high the right side lifts, then do the reverse (sounds like you need to bend the right side up to make an equal measurement)
Martin Hofer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Hofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 10:35pm

Hi there.

I use HPI rollbar links to connect the rollbars with the wishbones. the vertical ballstud in this system allows for very easy leveling of the rollbar. The car reacts greatly to wether or not the swaybar is working properly.

As for rebound:

On tarmac tracks I run 0 rebound 99% of times. I have actually drilled an extra hole into the topcap so the air inside the bladder can get out.

However when I have been to the UK a few years ago, Mr. Grainger convinced me that on UK tracks 100% rebound seems to work very well. The German tracks are a bit less bumpy I guess, that's why over here everybody runs no rebound.

On carpet I run abount 20% rebound. No hole drilled there as it makes the car a bit too lazy for indoor racing.

Less rebound generally makes the car smoother to drives and gives you more traction. You loose a bit of responsiveness but as mentioned above you can get that back with perfect swaybars.

lethallee69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lethallee69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 12:30pm

Hi all,

ran the softweave chassis yesterday for the first time, very cold day and grip was low, asphalt track, was running the same setup as with the kit version and was having trouble with the rear stepping out on corner entry, another racer who has just converted as well was having the same problem. Is this an issue specifically caused by the new chassis, as with a previous race day under the same conditions, the car was fine

mcdoogle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdoogle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 3:54pm
i had exactly the same thing, but i just put a softer roll bar on the back (from gold to silver) and all ok now
gazza.motorsport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazza.motorsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 9:29am
Hi Team

Looking for a starting setup using Sweep OG-Spec 40 tires, running Mod, we run all the time using Sorex tires and that setup is a long way from good.

Regards
Gary
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Hofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 6:51am
you might want to post your setup and the specific problems you encounter running those tires.

Very important is: tire preperation, if any Setup problems occure early, during or towards the end of your run, and so on
John Pape View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Pape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 5:11pm
Have a look at Chris G TITC setup sheet for the Mi4LP, perhaps drop the oil down to 45/50wt and go from there.
gazza.motorsport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazza.motorsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Martin Hofer Martin Hofer wrote:

you might want to post your setup and the specific problems you encounter running those tires.

Very important is: tire preperation, if any Setup problems occure early, during or towards the end of your run, and so on

Hi Martin
The problem is lack of grip all over, have tried softer springs and it makes it worse, my son races, I am just the pit bitch LOL, I tried a 1.4 front bar and moved the rear shocks all the way in, from our Sorex set up  and it looked a little better but when he tries to push it ,like he drives with the Sorex tires the car is loose in the rear and has under steer as well.
We have used Muchmore 32 and 36 tires and they have more grip than these Sweep tires, they seem to have a stiff side wall.

Her is a link to a Video of the track, it has medium grip and is bumpy in places.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ICEstrike100?blend=13&ob=5#p/u/3/MM_LcNZUOWA

Not sure how to post my setup here, do you have a email address I can sent it to.

Regards
Gary
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Hofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2011 at 9:18am

Hey guys,

I have updated my blog again :-)

Here's the link: http://hofaaa.wordpress.com/

Have fun reading!

Martin

YZFAndy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YZFAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2011 at 6:47pm
Interesting chassis you got there Martin. Are you allowed to share any details?

http://hofaaa.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/4.jpeg?w=640&h=478

Edited by YZFAndy - 12 September 2011 at 6:49pm
timmay langdell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmay langdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2011 at 8:51pm
should be availabe very soon :)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamSchumiSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 11:18am

Hi Martin/Chris

Would either of you guys be attending the worlds next year ? hopefully if all goes well i should be attending my first worlds Smile and would be nice to have fellow schumacher drivers to bounce ideas off of Smile and what setup advice would you recommend for heemstede ? soft weave? and which top deck? long ?

tx in advance 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Hofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 11:39am
Both Chris and me will be attending along with some other teammembers. There should be enough support.

It's hard to give any advice so early before the worlds but I would never start with anything but long topdeck and 2.0 softweave chassi. That's just fixed. And I'm pretty sure, unless we have to use something unusual in terms of tires, it will be the same setup we use pretty much everywhere with the same standard slight modifications like testing springs and gear diff oil.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamSchumiSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 11:49am

Tx for the info, I thought it was a bit early LOL but hey I am just so eager

Thats great news that Schumacher will have there top drivers at the worlds, and will ge good to finally meet you guys !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
  Share Topic