www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > 1/8th RallyCross
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering & front suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisdemod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering & front suspension
    Posted: 22 February 2009 at 11:11pm

Hi guys, ive got an old swift and am having really bad understreer, especially under power. I know some of the front suspension components are a bit worn but does anyone know if any of the more modern buggy front set ups will fit or have any other ideas on make it turn in. 

Cheers

Chris 

Blue2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 10:53am

What oil are you running in the diffs? Oil does wear thin.I seem to recall that Swifts come with 5k front, 7k centre and 1k rear. a couple of quid in replacing the oil in the diffs (carefull when removing the seal) might be cheaper than replacing the suspension. Reaplcing them is good maintenance and if you then knwo what they are you can tune the handling by moving from that baseline.

Generally lighter oil in the diff will give you more steering into a corner, at the expense of acceleration...if the oil has been replaced at some stage for heavier oil then this could be the cause. I run 7k front and 10k centre and do get less steering into the corner, especially on grass, but much better drive out. So the stock oils should be fine.

You could also check the camber, about 1 degree negative works on mine with a slight toe out.

Blue

chrisdemod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisdemod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 10:50pm
Hi Blue, your right , stock diff oils are 1k rear 7k middle  5k front, i changed them just before xmas. Im not sure if its because the rear shocks are a bit dodgy, when you nail the throtle while turning, it seems to lift the front inner wheel. People say run the rear softer than the front but im thinking about firming it up. Ive borrowed a spare pair of rear shocks from a mate and will be testing it this weekend. If anyone else has any ideas, they will be greatfully received.Il check the camber though Blue ,cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic