www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Havoc 17mm Wheel Adapters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Havoc 17mm Wheel Adapters
    Posted: 20 December 2008 at 11:51pm
OK as promised here is a step by step guide. Its pretty straight forward and I'm assuming that you know how to take the hub carriers etc off before I start.

Firstly you will need all of the items pictured below. You may also need vice grips, a vice or some other way of holding the rear drive cups so that you can take the original ones apart. Other tools will come in handy but these are the bare minimum.

A. 2.5mm hex driver
B. Complete hub carrier assemblys
C. U3216 1/8 Riot wheel conversion kit
D. Threadlock

In the pic above I have all new carriers, bearings and drives. This is not necessary and you can use your existing components

Firstly remove the Hi-Tensile axle from the rear drive cups. You will need to clamp the cup as the bolts (should!!) have been threadlocked at assembly. You will need these later.

It is easier to start with the front.

This is a pic of the components before assembly.

NB The axle bolts used are those that you have removed from the rear drives

1. Remove the standard axle bolts. These are no longer needed.
2. Insert a M4 nyloc nut into the hex shaped hole that the std axle came out of

3. Put one of the adapters onto the hub and locate in the lugs.
4. Screw the 35mm axle bolt taken from the rear in as shown below and tighten fully

That is all there is to the front. Do the same for the other side and you should have a pair like this

The rear follows a similar route but has a major difference. In the pic below the drive cup is already installed into the bearings. I had intended to use a nyloc nut too, but I found during assembly that this was hard to get threaded in using the tools at my disposal. It is probably not needed, but I thought it best to be safe rather than sorry. It was substituted with a standard nut and a drop of thread lock.

5. Use another adapter and start to attach this to the rear drive cups as shown below, using a 25mm Hi-Tensile axle bolt supplied with the set. As the drive cup is threaded you will need to apply some threadlock before it is assembled any further and fully tightened.

6. Lastly put the nut on inside the drive cup from where the dog bones would be. Again this is probably not necessary but it is added insurance.

You should end up with this

Lastly install the hub carriers onto the truck as normal and it will look something like this

This is what the finished article looks like (with my yellow show shell rather that my blue bashing shell)

I hope this helps anyone interested in getting a better range of wheels for their Havoc without having to go to the 23mm conversion.

Edited by Martydoc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic