www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xtr3e / CEN MG10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: xtr3e / CEN MG10
    Posted: 13 December 2008 at 9:45am

i recentley broke my xtr3e. i ported the engine and the extra power borke the driveshaft. the entire thing is abit battered and im looking to get a new chassis and putting the 21 and 3 speed gearbox in

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300 278692224&cguid=21662f0211e0a0e203f7b5c7ffefbbba

it looks pretty well designed(something schumacher really really struggle with)

seems pretty strong, its 4wd, pretty light, good ground clearence, seems like a very good bashing truck

with the standard single speed 15 its bound to be ****e. but with a 3 speed 21 its gona be pretty good

i would just like to know your opinions on this, please reply, any opinions valid

NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2008 at 12:31pm

Well I like the design of the rear diff, with the unique output, seems interesting!! However, you have to wonder why it hasnt been done more before though, with no output cups to wear out, there is zero slop, which although annoying is usually necessary---will that wear the gears inside the tranny/case quicker?

I have never had a Cen so cant comment on that, one thing - is there enough physical space on there to shove the bigger engine/cb on? Remember it will prob have to be side exhaust not out the back unless you can make some room! Let us know how ya get on, could be a fun car anyway if the idea isnt gonna work..  Its nice and wide isnt it?!!

buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2008 at 12:59pm

thanks for your input

i just had a look at its top speed with the standard 15. The advertised speed is 40+

aparentley it was clocked at about 30 :(

well im gona have over twice the power and much better gear ratios

in which way do you think the 21 engine might be abit big?

also i read a review which said it is really strong(something the xtr really lacked) and handles pretty well(something the xtr really really lacked :P )

buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2008 at 1:00pm

by the way if anyone is selling a cen mg10 rolling chassis please tell me

thanks!

NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 5:45pm

I think go for it, if it hasnt been done before....it might be a good combination.

I just thought it might be tough getting a .21 and a pipe onto it with the tranny-set up how it is, a few questions just need to be answered for you to be sure its worthwhile:-- Is there enough space to turn the 1/10 scale clutch bell into a 1/8th etc. to go with the bigger engine? A 21. with a pull starter for example will be a lot bigger in all dimensions, if you have the e-start from the tt.21 then could be a bit easier but you need to make sure there is access to that. Also the weight distribution will be vastly different, will it need new shocks? Can you position the exisiting ones in better positions for the increased weight? There will need to be a new engine mounting plate drilled or an existing one adapted.....just some of the probs you need to think about...apart from that it is just some hole tapping, and careful measuring.  Some of the existing XTR parts might solve some of those probs; so go for it mate..  

NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 5:50pm
I would have thought it would be easier to transport the XTR tranny onto the chassis as you suggested than mod it to use their idea with the driveshafts....which is a shame as its a nice design, or at least different! For me the mg 10 is still too light for the power of a .21, just like the xtr, but then thats whats fun; so you wont lose that factor...would be interested to see how ya get on mate.  
buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 9:03pm

a big lol

a moderator from a cen forum i asked this quesition on said that there is no way that the mg10 will withstand that sort of power

lol they obviously have alot of faith in thir cars, the guy reccomended the "matrix" not sure what this is like but im gona av a look

buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 9:19pm

another big lol

the bloke reccomended the matrix which is a 1/8th buggy. clearly not what im looking for, i think he was just putting the mg10 down to get me to buy his gay little car

anyway , ur questions

im gona run the pipe along the back of the car like on the menace4x4

the fusion clutch bellis actually very very small(small diameter anyway)

im using the e start, and as for the engine mounts? well i have acess to a machine shop so im sure that wont be a problem :)

and regarding the tranny in basically going to swap the spur gear with the 3 speed box, sorry i didnt explain that

lol and yes its going to be very powerful and very light. but 4wd so its gona be a good experiment. i just think its gona be hard getting ahold of a mg10 chassis

buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 9:24pm

lol it just occoured that im basically making a menace

but ive herd so many bad things about the menace

this will be stronger, lighter, shaft drive so mabye like 5 mph faster and basically much much more durable (and it will annihialate my m8s rex x)

nigel 63 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nigel 63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 9:42pm
why not buy another xtr,i will sell you a complete car less engine...
buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 7:24pm

well i just dont think the xtr is a very well designed car

(im gona get alot of stick for this) i also dont think the manace is a well designed car, its very weak and the belt system creates alot of friction taking a good 10 mph off the top speed

i just want a tough 4wd stadium truck that is stupidly powerful

is that too much to ask

nigel 63 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nigel 63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 10:49pm
if you want something strong and fast then get a savage,put a 30 engine in it and it will be stupidly quick and will take alot of punishment,mine never breaks and that gets some abuse,my mates is seriously fast and that gets more abuse than a 30 quid whore and it never lets him down...
Kangawallafox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kangawallafox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 10:22am

too true buddy ya wont get any stick from me.

the xtr 3e is a fast car yes but very bad design ,well great for them ,in parts that is. just think how good it could of been,and now for some unknown reason they want to make slow shelf queens

the tt tranny is one of the best things schumacher have ever built ,but only after you fix its problems, i just think there happy doing things half cocked

what .......a fast savage, um when did that happen !!!!!!!!

i'd like to see that ,just to watch it fall over as soon as it changes direction ! yeh there fun  

buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 6:46pm

well i think ur right about the savage that can take

Originally posted by nigel 63 nigel 63 wrote:

more abuse than a 30 quid whore
lol

but fast? i really doubt it ive only ever seen about 2 or 3 quick savages on the internet let alone a quick one in real life

im afraid the xtr has spoiled me, i expect so much speed from cars now

if i was gona get a savage i would probably buy the 3 speed gearbox and put a 91 2st plane engine in it or a 120 4st

that would be pretty powerful

ive seen the one on youtube with a 40 4st. they say a 4 stroke is about 3/4 the power of a 2 stroke plane engine. but that a 2 st plane engine has about half the power of a 2 st car engine

so its like a 15 lol its pretty slow. the 120 supercharged four stroke? prob be a real good project but im trying to cut back on rc spendings :P

MaxD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by buddy buddy wrote:

lol it just occoured that im basically making a menace

but ive herd so many bad things about the menace

this will be stronger, lighter, shaft drive so mabye like 5 mph faster and basically much much more durable (and it will annihialate my m8s rex x)

I'm very happy with my Menace - no breakages since everything is now alloy and the .28 gives it the power it needs to be silly.  I've never really had any serious problems.  Only one thing really afflicts the Menace and that's the shoddy diffs. Isn't that a Schumacher problem across their entire range?  Same as the shoddy wheel bearings... I use VXB's hybrid ceramic range.
NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 4:17pm

I reckon if you got a good condition menace you would love it; sounds exactly what you want. Compared to the XTR it is a step beyond, and with some new servos and lower shocks/wheels can handle almost like a touring car (i.e fusion) aswell. I think the menace drive system is actually quite good if everything is working properly; which you need to really check as there are so many areas to go wrong, the belt tension, the diffs, and the actual layshaft and tranny.

The ball diffs are in theory a good design (when used with ahem good bearings and diff balls) but come from the factory set wrong most of the time -i.e I got one far too tight, and one far too loose, how they managed this and then put them in the same pack I dont know. They need attention from new, but after i moaned and then moaned again Schumacher sent me a set of two new diffs, these seem a lot better than the old menace ones except they tried to remedy my moaning about the diff plates coming off by ca glueing them onto the diffs before sending me them, would have been good except it looked like a 5 yr old had glued them! There was so much glue in the main diff gear it took me an hour to get them to run on the belt smoothly, umm nice one !

I have found with new bearings (not Schumachers) the menace drive belt is a great system, albeit a bit fiddly to maintain if you bugger it up; if you search google for brushless menace project you will see someone who used the menace chassis and gearing to create a brushless beast. They had great results with the menace. Decent non Schumacher bearings, and a new non stretched belt are essential. 

If what you want is speed/handling, have a look at the menace, if you want lots of dirty mudding etc then im afraid its not for you either....too much is too exposed to dirt etc (nothing that cant be sealed but hassle) but if you do your Cen project let us know how it develops!   

buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 5:10pm

well if i see a cen mg10 chassis i will definatley buy it and give this project a go

please if anyone is selling, knows someone who is selling or sees someone who is selling a cen mg10 rolling chassis please let me know

infact even if anyone sees 2nd hand cen mg10 for sale please let me know

Edited by buddy
buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 5:12pm

also yer im put off by the menace partly due to schumachers shoddy workmanship and because i have herd that the menace(like the xtr) WILL break over even the slightest jumps

i have found that the cheaper makes generally tend to be much stronger than the more performance oriented cars

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic