www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIOT cutting out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIOT cutting out
    Posted: 06 October 2008 at 4:51pm

Hi everyone

I have a Riot and am fairly new to Nitro cars and stuff and seem to have a problem after trying to tune my car after run in.

At the moment when blipping the throttle from idle the car literally just cuts out.  Im pretty sure its not bogging first just cuts out, problem is it happens quite quickly and its hard to tell.

I have my LSN set at around 0.7 mm just inside the casing and it doesnt matter what way I turn it still keeps cutting out when blipping the throttle.

My HSN is set at 3 turns from fully closed

Any help would be much apreciated.

Mofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 5:52pm
Is the pressure pipe connected properly to the exhaust?
buder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 6:03pm

Hi Mofi

Thanks for the reply yes the pipe seems to be ok.

Could It be that my HSN is set to rich and its flooding the engine cant combust all the fuel when moving quickly away ?

My LSN cant be too lean ive tried turning it out

Im at a loss

buder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 8:17pm

Hi just double checked the fuel pipe and when I looked at the tank I could see a half moon shaped it of metal in there from a previous post I looked at looks like some kind of washer on the inside if the top of the fuel tank has broken off.

Could this cause an air leak ?? it seems pretty tight cant see how.

robo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 8:41pm
have you tried putting in a new glow plug??? if not try a new one even if the one you take out glows and seems ok
Mofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by buder buder wrote:

Hi just double checked the fuel pipe and when I looked at the tank I could see a half moon shaped it of metal in there from a previous post I looked at looks like some kind of washer on the inside if the top of the fuel tank has broken off.

Could this cause an air leak ?? it seems pretty tight cant see how.

Take the fuel line off of the carb and the pressure pipe off of exhaust, bend the pressure pipe in half (so that it's blocked off), blow into the fuel line that goes to the carb and see if the tank lid lifts up.

It could be the HSN is too rich - that can only be eliminated is if you lean it off and see if that solves the problem.

La La View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote La La Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 4:15pm
Lol i had the same problem with ma riot! i fix mine by agusting the high speen needil, turn it anti clockwise 1/8th at a time try that!
La La View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote La La Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 4:19pm
Also the washer broke of mine and i found it in the fuel tank. i havnt done anthing about it and it has not caused a leak so realy the washer doesnt matter so dont worry about that!
buder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 7:31pm

Thanks Guys for all our help I was debating whether to get a new fuel tank but wont bother now.

To be honest the riot is doing my head in if im lucky enough to get it started it does like to cut off everynow and again at idle and think it might be because I haave leaned my LSN off to much in trying to solve the stalling on full throttle. its not the idle screw as its about 1.5mm open

does anyones see fuel residue under the pinion gear and flywheel after use I have noticed a wet patch on the chassis could it be im running to rich ?.

Mofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 7:58pm
That sounds like the crankcase front bearing has failed and letting air in - that'll totally screw up anything you do to the needle settings.
buder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 9:23pm

That does not sound good at all !?.

Can I ask what this is and where it is on the car.  Also is it easily fixable for someone like me ?.

Mofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 10:20pm
You need to remove the engine, remove the head, take off the pullstart, take out the piston & liner, remove the flywheel and clutch, take out the crank, push out the bearing, fit a new bearing and 'assembly is reverse of dismantling'.
buder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:22am

Ok Thanks Mofi, to be honest I know you might say this is part of owning a nitro car but I have not really got the time to be spending doing that and ill probably mess it up, so will just take it down my local shop for fixing.

Im a bit p**sed off to say the least ive only had the car 3 weeks how can it have gone so soon not even run it properly yet, come to think of ever since ive had it there has always been a very small patch of oil under the pinion gear i just thought it was because i was running it rich ?

Mofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 12:12pm

Did you buy it new?

The crankcase front bearing is notoriously weak on most nitro engines, with possibly the exception of Novarossi and once you've replaced a few of them it's quite simple.

The running in process, by definition, generates swarf in the engine and that can get into the crank/crankcase/bearing etc.  The swarf also causes plugs to blow regularly when running in.

Edited by Mofi
CHICKEN FEET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHICKEN FEET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 12:27pm
what is swarf
buder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 1:27pm

Hi Mofi

Yes I bought it new had about 5 tanks through it now.

Not sure what swarf means ?.

I just rang schumacher and he said as you said it could be an issue with pressure in my fuel tank apparantly the beaded fuel filter in the tank by design is not that good and when the fuel drops to half tank can suck in air which could be why Im seeing bubbles.

He did say that for a car so new the front crankcase bearing although possible is not likely to be the problem, but did say nitro can leak anyhow from the engine in places.

Does this sound right to you ?

buder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 6:53pm

something might be worth mentioning I have just found out that the model technics fuel I am using has 2% caster oil in it when I rang the shop he said it was to help prevent damage to the engine when running to lean but I have also noticed that my pull start is slipping every now and again and the rope sometimes does not detract have to pull it slightly further out and it recoils !?.

Mofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 7:26pm

If you have bubbling in the tank then that's a pressure issue and needs looking into.  It could be the poxy filter in the tank - I've taken it out of my Fusion and use an in-line filter

If the engine is sealed correctly and the front bearing is in good nick then no fuel should leak from the engine.

Swarf is the metal debris that wears away as the piston/sleeve beds in and what you see if you have ever seen a piece of metal being turned on a lathe.

I would remove the filter from the tank, buy and fit an in-line filter, check the O-ring on the tank lid is sealing by doing the test I described above BUT the most important thing you can do is use the Model Technics fuel you have to start a BBQ or just chuck it in the bin.  It's nasty, horrible, smelly, oily crap that covers the whole model in spent oil and I wouldn't even run my lawnmower on it!

buder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:15pm

Thanks Mofi I really apreciate all your help on this.

I will chuck that crap in the bin (too late for bbq weather) and buy some good stuff.

Judging by your last comment on spent fuel that might be what im looking at as its just a shine on the chassis and on parts of the engine as opposed to actual unburnt fuel im seeing ?.

I take your point on the sealing of the engine if correct not seeing an leakage but for now I will try the new fuel swap the plug and fuel line and see how that goes. Ive tried your tank pressure test and the soapy water blowing down the fuel line attached to the carb engine air leak test and cant find nothing, so will take it out tomorrow after work and let you know how it goes

Thanks again

Mofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:15pm

Swarf:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic