www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Electric Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

will this kill me..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmcgeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: will this kill me..
    Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:42am

I need to get a larger capacity stick. Im currently using a 1500mAh, but ive just bought a 13t motor, so that stick wont last now.

I dont want to buy a new charger and i dont want to spend a lot. My current charger is a Mtroniks APC 200 which says it will charge upto 2300mAh, but also says it charges at 2 to 4A rates.

Does the 4A rate mean i can charge upto 4000mAh sticks? or will this explode and kill me? How do i work out charge rates and times etc...

rcmadd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcmadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 11:17am

no it means your charger will only charge batts up to 2300mah at 4amp.

if you want a 3000mah battery(example)  you will need a charger to charge it.

LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 5:09pm
If your charger is that old it may only be suitable for charging NiCd batts. Anything you buy now will be NiMh and should really be charged with a NiMh-compatible charger (they need to be more sensitive when it comes to peak detection).
It's easy to work out how long it will take to charge whatever batts you have. For example, a 2300mAh pack will take 1 hour at 2.3 amps. As the charging process isn't 100% efficient, you have to allow a factor for that so say 1 hour at 2.5 amps. So at 4 amps it will take roughly 2.3Ah/4A = 0.58 hours = 34.5 minutes.

Your charger may say it will only charge up to 2300mAh, but that is likely to be a thermal limit based on 4A as rcmadd has said. It would almost certainly charge a bigger pack at less than 4A. My advice: if you are going to spend good money on new batts, get a reasonable NiMh charger at least! You want to at least see the amount of performance gain with the new batts, and keeping going with an old out of date charger won't do you any favours. Decent peak detection NiMh chargers can be had for very little cash.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic