www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Motors Batteries and Chargers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

charging 2400 NiCads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: charging 2400 NiCads
    Posted: 23 July 2004 at 6:39pm

Just bought an Mi2 and 3 sets of 2400 NiCads. What's the best charging discharging and maintenance routine? Using a pulsar competition charger.

Anyone know?

PS only running stock

ricklee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricklee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 7:46pm

charge them at 5 amps more for more punch less for more duration. discharge to 5.4 volts through the week equalise 1s a month. a rough quide there.

there are alternatives to gain punch/runtime

glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 9:23pm
Being nicads I'd say discharge them fully, it's a safer option.
ricklee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricklee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 11:42pm

i used to leave mine at 5.4 volts and as frequently as possible take them to zero before charge 

this can be a pain to do though, as most equalisers take hours, unless you buy spiders for each pack and dead short them,

you could use a bulb but this will nearly always reverse charge 1 or more of the cells, thats y i did not say to zero volts, but glypo is right its better to take them to zero if done in the correct manner

Anand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2004 at 3:08pm

Just finished up my Mi2 running foams for carpet running and tested on a polished wooden floor at home. No grip, great for donuts though.

Which do you guys think is the best discharge/equalise tray for about 20-30 so that i can properly discharge and equalise each cell?

vectra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2004 at 3:29pm

I have this charger and normally I use the discharge button b4 I re-charge them first.

Do you think this is sufficiant for getting the best out of my batteries ?

I also use Sanyo 2400 Nicads

acs47.jpg

Name: Ansmann ACS 47 Multi Charger
Manufacturer: Ansmann
Other Info: Multi-function charger with microprocessor control. Charges and discharges 4.8 - 8.4v packs. Adjustable charging current (1amp, 2amp, 4amp). Also charges transmitter and receiver packs.

neveo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 9:13pm

Not the best out of the cells. But its ok. To get the best out of them then i would discharge on a bulb - Like i do.

I have 2400s & i charge at only 3.5A & they will last me 7mins plus while they guys with 3300's charge at silly rates & dont last !

vectra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 12:49am
how do you discharge with Bulbs ?
Ashdown604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashdown604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 12:34pm

Wire some bulbs together and add plugs to put it simply.

http://www.balakracing.com/bulbdischarger.htm

You dont have to use as many bulbs though

luke hobson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke hobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 4:49pm

i use the trinity real time discharger this takes your cells down to zero and worked well when i used to run 2400's

luke

vectra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 7:19pm

I was reading the above post by ashdown 604,

and noted the piece about watching for the bulbs to go dull ,and thought, well, that would be a bit dodgy in case i missed out non that particular stage  my batteries might end up

soooooooooooo,

I spotted this gadget on Modelsport for 16.99 ,, Questions, would it be any better than my charger ??

ori31100.jpg
Name: Active Discharge Device
Manufacturer: Orion
Contents: 1
Other Info: Equalizing your battery packs is mandatory if you want to achieve maximum performance for extended periods of time. Side-by-side packs are placed in the tray so that each cell can be discharged individually to .5 volts at which time the discharge automatically stops. When all the cells reach this level a built in light shuts off indicating equalization. This is a must have product for the serious racer!

neveo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2004 at 2:03am

I just use what was the reverse light of a metro i think it was. my dad soldered it up & it has the corally plugs same as the batteries.

Isnt 20A. Once the bulb goes dull, the cells then get put on the charger... dicharged & then fast charged

Ashdown604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashdown604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2004 at 5:14pm
I have added plugs on the wires between the bulbs ansd batteries (on on the + side, one on the - side) so I can plug in a multimeter in permanently while they are discharging (until 5.4 volts) :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic