www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Electric Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Schumacher Mi3 Setups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cs8sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2008 at 5:27pm
Hi thanks for the tips.

When I tired standing the shocks up more on the front, I found it really was agressive on the front, that is way I used to run the shocks fully imboard on the front.  I will try the track rod sugestion I have the pack and will play with that.  It does seem that this car does have an insane amount of front grip, maybe it is just me, or the tracks that I run at are very high grip indeed.

Chris

cs8sz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cs8sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2008 at 1:16pm
Chris,

Thanks Kirby, I have discovered that widening the track on the front, will also soften the suspension on the front due to the shock poistions on the wihbones effectivley moving.  What track width would you sugest I am currently running 1mm each side.

Thanks Chris
Kirby Masterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Masterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 1:47pm
Chris

Set the track width to 1.5mm front and back, It should make the car feel more stable. and if you thought it helped, try 2mm front and back.

Normally when i'm struggling for steering I would set the car so it would be 1.5 at the front and 2mm at the rear, but this isn't your scenario..

If that doesnt help or you still have the problem of your car feeling loose at the rear, try switching your shocks around so its 35wt front & 40wt rear, keep the springs same front and back just swapp the absorber from front to back.
Helps, dont know how.. just stumbled across it one day and went wow.
Andrew Low View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Low Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 5:27pm

As i found out at the weekend if you run 2mm on the front, just taping a corner will cause the driveshaft to pop out, snap or bend the pin and chew up the outdrive. Now i personaly wouldnt go over 1.5mm.

cheers Andy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Masterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 4:28pm
The Key to the Mi3

The Mi3 is no doubt the most advanced 1/10th touring car on the market and could easily be a world champion in the right hands, with quick tuning and option parts like:

Lower and rise the diffs
Move back and forward the front arms
Move back and forward the rear arms
changing the roll centers from different parts in the rear of the car
changing the roll centers from different parts in the front of the car
changing the sway bar to three options
changing the rear shock positions
changing the front shock positions
changing springs
changing oil weight
changing piston holes
changing the top deck to five different options
changing the droop front and rear
changing the kickup
changing to an overdrive pulley
changing width of the car
changing the arms from standard to flex to ultra flex, to mi2 arms
changing the steering akermon
changing the castor blocks

the list goes on,

and with the Mi3 it is so easy to change everything on the car, so simple.
And thats were people get lost.
Changing too many things can get very confusing and make the hobby frustrating.
That's why I believe the people that own Schumachers push the car too hard by making the car physics cancel each other out.

For example:

You set your Mi3 to book settings for a fresh start,
You drive the car and it needs more steering, you can get this by stiffening the car up at the front, but on the mi3 you can do this by:

2008 top deck with the Y facing the front of the car,
lower front diffs and raise rear,
extend the length of the car by placing 4mm spacer at the front of the arm on the rear,
Harder spring on the front,
Harder sway bar at the front,
softer sway bar at the rear,
and more ways.

so you decide to change the diff heights, and the car is a rocket.

next week your car needs even more steering so you change the top deck to the 2008 top deck, and the car is a rocket.

the next week you have way too much steering so you decide to put hard springs on the rear.

Now you have just cancelled out one of the settings with another setting, the car will still be fast but you will soon find its hard to find a sweet spot and dial the car to perfection because you will end up with canceling alot of settings out.

-

I reccomend that when ever you beleive you have reached the limits and its not enough you should start over to book set-up again

But this time, Don't Touch to many setting's at once.

• At first see how the car goes book set-up
  • Then Play with different springs
  • Try laying down the shocks or puting them up.
You should be able to get the car handeling really nicely by just doing this. I also reccomend not to touch the spacers to lengthen and shoten the track on the front and rear arms, and to leave them at 2mm both sides front and back to give maximum grip because the drive train is then at a 90degree angle.
  • Now try all of the top decks and see which one worked best for you and stick to it.
The car should be compeditive now but don't get to excited and change a couple of things that you think might do the trick to get your car dialed, stick to the plan.
  • Reduce or increase droop depening on where you want the car to have more grip
  • Try 'Kickup'
Your car should be a bullet, a few more things to go
  • Change the stifness of your sway bar
  • Lower or raise your diffs.

After experimenting with changing all of this in that order you should have a good idea of what everything in the car does, but remember to try not to cancel out tuning aspects of the car.

I personally have made my own base set-up that I always return to when things go wrong, It helps when you have reached the limits of one set-up and need to try another path.

(P.S I am currently working on a set-up at the moment for low/medium grip tracks that all you need to change from track to track is the top deck and I will hopefully be able to release it later on this year )

Edited by Kirby Masterman
jimmy maddison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy maddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 7:06pm
are you bored Kirby hahaha

jimmy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Masterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 12:44am
lmao.

I've just been noticing people at my club constintly stuff up there setups

(and also I discovered that drinking coffee sucks when your about to got bed)
TKohler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKohler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 9:19am

quick question, am i the only one struggling to get tyres to work on the Mi3?

dont get me wrong, it's not a bad thing that they dont wear too badly, but in the STCC running SSB control tyres, i need to make them work a bit more.

Would putting roll bars on the car work? or stiffer springs? i'm running 12 turn 6 cell mod, possibly even 7 turn this weekend on a track similar to west london in size. As anyone at Southend STCC would have seen, my car had CRIPPLING understeer too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Masterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 1:01pm
well usually when you set your car "stiffer" on the spings and shocker positions, there should be more pressure being applied to the tires, therefore more tyre wear.

but stiffening the car also means making the car slide more,
Hopefully your cars understeering because it has so much grip and the problem can be fixed by going a spring rate up all round, or a harder shock oil.
TKohler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKohler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 2:55pm

nah the car wasnt exactly grippy either... its already using 40wt oil all round with hpi gold springs at the front and silvers at the back

ive found roll bars do not work around our track under any circumstance, unless with oneways when a thin roll bar is sometimes needed

ive tried reassembling the diff, and having it quite tight, if i slide the car about a bit the tyres might work harder, and im thinking of softening up the front to get more weight transfer onto it in higher speed corners, again to work the tyres more

jimmy maddison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy maddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 4:41pm
you are way to stiff on springs for those tyres

go to sch white springs and start from there

jimmy
cs8sz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cs8sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 4:42pm
What pound rating are the springs you are using, most people tend to use the Shumy white on the rear which is 14 lb and blue up front which is 16lb.  With simular oils that you are running.  I only run mine on carpet which is nice and dry!
TKohler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKohler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 6:37pm

the springs are 18.6 n 16.9 i thin

il go back to whites all round for the weekend see if they work, as for motors, which would be better if the car isnt handling great? On a track with similar gearing to west london, but a tighter infield.

I have a 7 turn to use, but i think i might switch to a 12 to start off with...

D=A-N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D=A-N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 2:49pm

I'm racing at stafford this sunday and i have never raced on road before and im after a little advice on setup to get me started!

any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Masterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 1:45pm
D=A-N

try this.
Chris Ashton

frankie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2008 at 6:54pm

Hi i have just got fixed up with an Mi3 and i was wondering if any one has a base set up for out doors with Schumacher springs i will be runing 27turn stock and 19 on 48dp

any help wpuld be fantastic if it helps i like to have my rear planted  and the car to be quite pushy

Thanks for your helps chaps

Regards

Frankie

p.s i will be runing at wrexham

Edited by frankie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Masterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 7:45am
Goto the Schumacher home page,

Click "Tech Info" which is in the column to your left

Then look for Schumacher Mi3, once you have found it, scan your eyes
across to the right,

there should be a button saying set-up sheets

Click

then click on any of them (i usually print them all off and put them in a
folder), look at the track details on the set-up sheets, The set-up will tell
you if the track is bumpy/smooth/carpet/tarmac/open/tight/grippy/low
grip..

pick the setup that is as close as the conditions or the conditions to what
track you race at,

It also helps to see what others are doing to there car to make it go faster.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Masterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 9:08am
I will post my set-ups that I will be working on for this year later on.
One will be for a Bumpy/low grip/tight track
The Other will be Smooth/low grip/Both Open and tight track

olev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 1:33pm
Frankie - whatever you do, don't try the Alex Laurent setup from last years Euros  Nobody but him could handle this, it was very aggressive and nervous. But he was very fast with it...
Skiddins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skiddins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by olev olev wrote:

Frankie - whatever you do, don't try the Alex Laurent setup from last years Euros  Nobody but him could handle this, it was very aggressive and nervous. But he was very fast with it...

Aggressive in what way?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic