www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Official Rascal Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 10:06am
Last post Oct 2007, everybody kill their Rascals?

Here's my Rascal project.  It needs a few more mods but its getting there......

dan.p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan.p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 3:20pm

Yea i have killed mine lol... its in the loft at moment because it needs a hell of a load of money spent on that i just dont have.

But yours looks real good.. Nice job :D

La La View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote La La Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 4:40pm
yea i kill mine, the whole engine blew in the air cozz i went full throttle in the air lol it went bang!
mike.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 5:10pm
Mine is broke too! I got sick of replacing stripped drive cogs on the 2 speed
system every time I run it! I now run Mardave V12 bangers which are much
cheaper and much more reliable! Plus my Jack Russell Terrier doesn't choke
on Nitro fumes when she chases it round the garden!!

This is what my rascal did look like the last time it worked though! and
there's a cool video on youtube...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PTjljywVdv8

Edited by mike.e
stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 5:52pm
Pic not working mike.e

Still being fairly new to nitro rc I have to say of the two trucks I have the Rascal is the most fun.  The two speed gave it the extra boost it needed and I am looking into switching to a three speed.  The extra width I have given it has made its handling incredible.  It is a little slow off the mark compared to the stock set up but once it is going it flies.  There are a few other mods I need to do, the front end is perhaps a bit sloppy as is but that should be easy to fix, I am going to add a tuned pipe at some point but am not sure what to get or where it is going to be fitted yet.  Since taking the picture I have added a wheelie bar as it was doing back flips on the spot.  The way it is set up now is good because I can take off the wheel wideners and just stick the wheels back on in a matter of minutes if I want it slightly narrower. 

I don't think I will ever stop using it, at least for the next couple of years, its just too much fun.

Edited by stormdrum
La La View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote La La Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 10:07pm

Yea when mine was working it was great

DORSETVDUBSTER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DORSETVDUBSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 4:41pm

Hi All,

I'm new to Nitro cars and I have just bought a used Rascal.  I have a couple of questions that I need answering:

(1) What exactly is after run oil, my car came with it but I'm not sure where it goes!

(2) The back end of my exhaust is blowing oil/fuel all over the place, l I've got a new O ring gasket/washer but where does it go and how do I dismantle the parts?

Thanks in advance

Scotty

stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 4:51pm
OK Scotty, the After Run Oil is used after running the truck.  You don't need to use it everytime but probably after a few runs is advisable.  When you have finished running the truck and it has cooled down take the glow plug out and drop about 3 drops into the head.  Take your air filter off and put a couple of drops into the open carb, give a few pulls of your starter making sure you dont get sprayed and thats that done until next time.

To fix the leaking fuel, if I understand this correctly, you need to take the muffler off (silver cylindrical bit).  You can do it by losening the grub screw and lifting it up and away from the manifold.  The O-ring sits in the entrance.  It is perhaps the biggest flaw in the Rascal and seems the most criticised piece with no real solution unless you are going to do some sort of mod with a new pipe and manifold.  Hope that helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DORSETVDUBSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 4:55pm

Thanks for the info buddy!!

If I remember correctly do you mean the grub screw that holds the brace bar that runs towards the rear of the truck?

One other question:

Can I fit 1/10th or 1/8th wheels without modification?  If so any recommendations for cheap replacements?

Scotty

Edited by DORSETVDUBSTER
stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 5:30pm
Having said that, it is probably easier to take the engine out and do it like that, its just four screws and as long as you get your mesh right when you re-install the engine it will be ok.  To clear the grub screw bit up, hopefully you can understand from this pic, its in the back of the muffler (not pictured) where the red arrow is pointing.

Unfortunately, unless you buy the New Era 12mmhex wheel adapters you are going to be limited to Schumacher wheels.  I have tried some fairly big tyre's on my Rascal as you can see from the photo's and I would say that is probably the biggest you would want to go, 1/8th wheels may just be a bit too big.

I see you have posted a request for a 2 speed in the wanted section, if you don't already have it this part U2780  is worth buying to replace the stock plastic one.  Get it for when you have got the 2 speed and you can fit it at the same time to avoid hassle.

Edited by stormdrum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DORSETVDUBSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 5:41pm

Thanks for that mate, very much appreciated!!

So have you just got wide tyres fitted to Rascal wheels or larger Schumacher wheels with wide tyres?

Scotty

stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by DORSETVDUBSTER DORSETVDUBSTER wrote:

Thanks for that mate, very much appreciated!!

So have you just got wide tyres fitted to Rascal wheels or larger Schumacher wheels with wide tyres?

Scotty

The above picture has the New Era hex adapters with some crawler 1 inch wheel wideners(the silver tubes) with HPI F5 (I think) wheels which have a half offset? (they mount in the middle of the wheel) and Masher 2000 2.2 tyres which are quite tall.  I can't remember if it was this thread or another I explained but the biggest problem with these size tyres and the stock Rascal rims with no mods was that the tyre would catch on the fuel tank when turning fully to the left which kept resulting in my truck flipping.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DORSETVDUBSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 6:07pm

That set up sounds complicated!!

Any idea what the largest tyres you can fit on the standard rims without mods are?

stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 8:47pm
What surface are you running on?  All 2.2 tyre's will fit the stock rims its just the diameter that may cause some issues as explained in my post above.  I think its fair to say the stock pin tyre's are not really up to much, I managed to strip mine after 2 runs, if that.  I would assume bigger block tyre's would be better for off road running and its worth looking at all terrain tyre's that are not as hefty as my Masher 2000's, note the compounds and see if you can find any info from different manufacturers.  I am sure there is a thread on here somewhere discussing tyre options for the Rascal, you may have to search back over the months/years to find it.  
La La View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote La La Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 9:49pm
i got some savage and havoc wheels on mine with 15mm hex adaptors but it was a little over the top lol
regstar123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regstar123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 7:32pm
(Hi first ever post)

Im getting a Rascal for christmas as a first nitro so im new to the nitro world any tips and stuff for the rookie here?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DORSETVDUBSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 7:53pm
Buy some spare exhaust rubber ring gaskets and buy an aftermarket front bumper to prevent damage to the front steering/suspension components!!
Mofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 8:05pm

Originally posted by regstar123 regstar123 wrote:

(Hi first ever post)

Im getting a Rascal for christmas as a first nitro so im new to the nitro world any tips and stuff for the rookie here?

Read every page of this thread.

http://www.racing-cars.com/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=8758&a mp;PN=1

boohoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boohoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 8:18pm
a little advise dont buy it there rubbish
Mofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 8:23pm

Originally posted by boohoo boohoo wrote:

a little advise dont buy it there rubbish

What?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic