www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rascal purchase advise: DON’T

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rascal purchase advise: DON’T
    Posted: 09 May 2007 at 4:38pm

Hi there,

For anyone who is thinking of buying a Rascal: DON'T DO IT!

Why? I've had mine for 3 months now. I's upgraded with a 2 speed and roto starter and lots of aluminium.

After a week the thread in the manifold was gone. Had to replace it. Two weeks later, the first of 7 bearings in total broke. Unfortunately it was the one on the outside of the diff. This ruined the engine, had to replace the piston and liner. After that, one bearing after the other broke. The pullstarter lasted about a month. Replaced it with the rotostarter, but because of the amount of nitro leaking on the backplate, it's almost impossible to start (the one way bearing slips). A few weeks later the 1st speed rachet and hub had to be replaced. The body won't last for more than a while, beacause the windows are cut too big. I also went through 2 clutches already. And lost but not least, I had to replace the trasmission housing, moulding set and hinge pin blocks because the screws going into these parts won't stay anymore (thread is worn out). What's next???

Adrian, if you read this; what the hell is wrong with this car. I already spent another one just to keep it running!

Edited by Mich
jamole365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamole365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 5:30pm
Hello mate i think this is a bit mean
Hutch-e-bee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutch-e-bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 5:58pm

Cue Eric the rabbit!!

And please explain why it is mean to voice your personal opinion on something you bought in good faith? If someone can buy a Rascal and really like it and post a rave review, why cant someone that has had a bad experience do the same?? 

Edited by Hutch-e-bee
ericdarabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdarabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 9:15pm
Because we live in mega-happyland where nothing bad ever happens.

Mich buddy, its all a figment of your imagination. You have the best truck to have ever been built and your problems are imaginary. Now stop spreading lies before you upset the faithful.
Adrian will pop in when they release their new whiz-bang truck...... then disappear when the hype dies down as usual.
rascalracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rascalracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 10:29pm

Ahh dont be mean to the rascal - apart from the pullstart being a bit cr*ppy its a lovely lil car - i race mine every week and ive had it since it came out and ive had no probs and i love it!!

Drakken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drakken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 3:29am

Too late.  I already got one and I'm lovin' it.  Fun little beast!

Either you got a  bad one or you are doing something wrong.  Manifold screws don't just wear out.  7 bearings broke?  Which ones?  You should also be able to get free replacements for defective parts from the place you bought it or from Schumacher directly. 

swampthing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 2:29pm
had mine for ages now i got a leak on the manifold which is my own doing i know what the problem is...

thats it though every thing is fine with mine too... no problems
i love the lil car :)

most things that go wrong with mine is when i crash it lol
markc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 5:23pm

Ive had mine a while now put a couple of gallons through it and a new engine in and ive had hardly ant problems, its a great truck. You must have had a bad one! Ive had no bearings fail, do you run in the wet a lot?

Cheers

NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 7:43pm

Dude, Is this your first nitro car? If u truly have had 7 bearings fail, then i think your maintenance is up the shoot or you got a batch of bearings that were already bad. No way in three months could that many bearings fail. Are u sure the engine being wrecked was the bearing?!

A diff outdrive bearing breaking should not do that to the engine unless run consistantly like that for a good length of time, I would have thought? Did it sieze instantly? In any case m8, they (rascals)are not all like that from what i have seen and heard altho the engine manifold has been a known problem area; phone schumacher, pay for the postage to send it to them, and if u provide enough evidence of the failures, more than likely they will give you a replacement rascal or replacement parts, Id be willing to bet on it, their service is that good.

"I also went through 2 clutches already. And lost but not least, I had to replace the trasmission housing, moulding set and hinge pin blocks because the screws going into these parts won't stay anymore (thread is worn out)" -something is wrong here m8, clutches, such as the rascals two shoe set up should last an age. Or was it the bearing in the clutch bell? Was the thread worn out from new? If not, then you may have been takin it apart too much for screws to have dethreaded in 3 months i dont think you could manage that takin it apart every day!...sounds to me like you received some sort of test car or prototype model in error?! What do you think?    

womsley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote womsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 12:13am

had one of these for two months, already purchased a other from ebay to form a donor car.

I drive my RCs hard and fast so i expect breakages and pay the [rice accordingly but I have to say the exhaust manifold is a pile of cr*p!!

There is no way that it can be sold as "fit for purpose" and as such is possibly breaching UK consumer rights.  It's a cr*p design and that's final.  I know I've changed 4 and have had to pay for them as well, never mind replacing the missing manifold bolts that "disappear".

Schumacher - make a replacement and stop denying that the problem exists!!!! 

Winfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 7:37am

Ill admit my conrod broke in the first week of use. I had it replaced free.

Ive only had the rascal about a month.

Things aren't looking good for the rascal

I drive it pretty hard so i expect plastic to break.

And no before you ask, it was tuned safe and it wasn't reving out.

I like the rascal but I think there may be some quality issues out there!!!

I have fully modified mine, so ill see how it goes

Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 12:07pm
Hey up,

Im new to nitro, and got me a rascal.

Ran it in on four tanks of .10 and had a bit of a blast about, which ws excellent! then the little fella kept cutting out, so looked it over and noticed, the manifold was loose, and the two screws that hold it on had escaped!!

nothing major i thought, so rang schumacher and explained my problem, and they told me i needed a particular sped pack which i orded and paid for.

delivery next day! but the speed pack only contains one of the screws i need!! and on fitting the one useful screw i got found the manifold to be threaded on one side!!

i guess thats one of the original ones was a little loose, rattled out and left the other one to thread itself under the strain!?

its all a real shame cause the 10 minutes i had i bombing around were just brilliant, way better than my old mantaray!!!

so its another 10 quid for manifold, 2 notes for another one screw!! and should probably be using some thermal grease too!!

could there have been a manufacturing fault?

in all reality, cant wait to just getting it bombing around again!! just dont wanna have to keep shelling out for it.

i'd still say to anyone to get one mind!

maddog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 2:30pm
yes i had the same problem and i think by the sound of it everyelse has too. put some threadlock in and it should be fine.mine has been great since i changed it a couple of months ago.
GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 5:19pm
Have you guys never heard of Loctite?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdarabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 8:07am
Originally posted by GBDUO GBDUO wrote:

Have Schumacher heard of it?

Its not the customers job to rebuild it properly for them.
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 10:58am
Just phoned schumacher, there going send me all the bits i need as a warranty fix!

Excellent news i thought.

Is loctite def the way to go? it doesn't normally deal to well with heat in my experience but then again i wasn't using it as a thread-lock at the time.

NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 11:25am

loctite is fine adam mate, it should have been on there pre built tho as Jastel mentions,  you can get varying strengths, get whichever is appropriate, temps wise its fine as in it will still act like loctite on the screw when heated up. If they are real buggers then use strong locktite but be aware it is a bitch to get undone if you do it up too much. Lots of loctite and not too much torque on doing it up will be the way to go m8.

GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 12:15pm

Originally posted by ericdarabbit ericdarabbit wrote:

Have Schumacher heard of it?

Its not the customers job to rebuild it properly for them.

If you lose the screws you would have thought when you put the new ones on you would learn from Schumacher's mistake and use loctite.

That is too obvious, evidently.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdarabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 1:19pm

Originally posted by ericdarabbit ericdarabbit wrote:

Have Schumacher heard of it? Its not the customers job to rebuild it properly for them.

If you lose the screws you would have thought when you put the new ones on you would learn from Schumacher's mistake and use loctite.

That is too obvious, evidently.

Depends which person your responding to.
Adam said he tried to replace the screw but found the thread to be knackered.... wouldnt have happened if it had been threadlocked from the factory. Bit pointless using threadlock on a screw that has nothing to thread into. That is also obvious.
maddog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 2:14pm
who really cares what anyone uses? as long as it works.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic