www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Raptor Tranny!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev's Raptor 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2007 at 9:38pm
I'm seeing how long I can wait b4 i order the plastic gears,, seems like the alloy ones could now be an option,, keep us up to date T2B,, PM me and I'll give you my contact details,, cheers 
t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 4:22pm
after i get my fist ally gear, i was thinking of knockin up another gear itself and getting the machine shop to do the teeth (bound to be cheaper) if any of you fellas are interested? better than 50!! thought i found the correct size of billet on the ship in work the other day, but no....slightly too small. the search goes on... infact i must phone the machine shop 2moro and see how he's getting on.
NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 12:26pm

Yeah, would def be interested mate, let me know how ya get on.......think i have found that the new changer needs to be unscrewed so far as so that you can just see the head of the grub screw on the adjustment screw hole for the changer to fly out at the correct tension but not had a go as yet.....am gettin my mechanic (dad) to have a look at it today and will hopefully be rebuilt for me to have a go.

NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 12:27pm
he is getting some fish weights out to measure the tension of the spring....... lol bit inaccurate but should give a rough idea what the tension needs to be  when compared to a unit that changes ok....
Raptoroz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptoroz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 8:16pm
thats actually a really good idea.
Raptoroz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptoroz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 11:01am
Update; Still no shift yet, the grub is just under 1mm hanging out, got no idea now, blew me rear diff up, so gota rebuild that. flogged it like hell tonight, so im gona check out the box while the diffs are getting done.
t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 11:29am
daft question (not entirely sure of the spring setup in this new changer) but does the grub screw have to be taken all the way in the changer so it's not protruding like you explained? i'm thinking the mechanism could work opposite to the original changer. never seen the new one, just a thought...
Raptoroz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptoroz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 11:29am
pretty much the same, but i will try that
NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 11:51am

yo T2, I just did the grub screw all the way up until the spring was compressed and then undid it until i thought the tension was about right. It so happens that this is a full 6 turns out from fully closed which is the advice that the raptor expert at schumacher used to tell me was the correct place for the gear to change.....which we all know wasnt (should be 2/1/2, 3 turns out on the old changers.). I sont know where he got the 6 turns out but the tension seems right on the new one when about 6 turns out, i.e. get the same tension as the old changer where the grub screw is just 3 turns out. This has the effect on the new changer of the grub screw being firmly located in the screwhole, but not done up very far.....done up enough, but you can just see the top of the screw if looking at the changer flat.....i.e. as the hole is angled and recessed the screw does not protrude anywhere, but just is easier to see from the top if you get me?!

I hate explaining these things especially when im not sure mine will work yet (lol sorry if i have confused anyone! .....bad news that raptor oz tried it like this...see above and it didnt work....will do some playing and adjusting myself this weekend if not got time before). I just wonder whether the angle of the slot still allows centrifugall force to pull the pawl out.....you would have thought it would but need to check that this is not holding it back from changing. Once it does change (I have no doubt it will just requires testing....i.e. moan at Nanda/Schumacher:----how about bringing instructions and follow through guides out to these things instead of changing them and leaving us to find out...it sort of annoys me they dont even know where the old changer should be set to!  And then they admit that the expert there (whoever we talk to about the raptor in the uk) had not even heard of them but had to confirm to me that they had got a large amount in stock. When i asked where it should be set to he told me he would not know.....so i suggested he tested it and found out. "Oh no, we cant do that......" was his reply "they wont let me just go and test it...."

So, Schumacher, how the hell are we supposed to know when you wont even let your expert "tester" "test" out the new part (or even bother to tell him there is one!) Surely nanda know as they make it!)  and would be able to tell me; i am getting in touch with schumacher to ask them to send something to nanda to find out for me today. Raged, and more to the point, far more interested in this than hr work ! .

NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 11:56am

Sorry t2, so to answer your question, which i didnt really   the new changer is exactly the same as the old changer apart from the pawl being made from some other material (or so i can see) the spring made to a harder tension/force, the ends of the spring bent round so the ball cannot transfer up the spring, and the slot made in the pawl itself and two pins through the changer to locate the pawl, which makes sure it does not swing out too far, miss the pins and strike the edge of the gear which is clearly the problem in the old changer.

Unfortunately, it is big enough to just make contact with the pins (good enough contact aswell) to change the gear but there is no setting or even help anywhere on where to set the grub screw to as the new spring is completlely different to the old one in terms of strength! Stupid i know.... but it seems nandas instructions on bits and pieces are some of the worst or (hardest to find) I have ever seen....if they do instructions on the mechanism at all! I intend to find out.

Raptoroz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptoroz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 12:11pm

come to think of it, when i was looking at the tonight, the pawl looked like it had a bit of use on it, i wonder if its a case of the pawl only being able to just make contact with the pins, not enough force to grip them.

Another thing that ****s me, is what do u guys do when u adjust the changer, the damn manifold is in the way, i was thinking of putting another hole in the casing on the other side so i have clear access.

NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 12:28pm

Yo, RaptorOz, the way to adjust the changer is to release the exhaust first from its holder, and then you have clear access to the gearbox and the hole that is provided. Then lift the truck off the floor, and using a combination of turning the spur gear and one of the wheels, you will be able to line up the angled hole that the gear change grub screw sits in. It is not very easy to access this until it (the gear change unit) is almost out of site below the hole, where you are able to slip a hex head allen key in (long side) almost vertically aiming downwards to get to the grub screw...when looking through the hole provided the gear change grub screw should be below the straight entry one that locks the changer to the shaft.......once tightening it or loosening it you can tell it is actually moving, as the spur gear will feel like it is receiving force from the gearbox. Then test, and be gutted again when it doesnt change...

it worries me that you have undone it nearly all the way and it still wont change, i would literally be clueless once i get to that situation, unless i assume that it has changed to early and am in second already....i cant see that happening with the strength of the new spring so i am a bit stuck....schumacher raptor tester dude help.....or shall i make this thread off topic aswell so the admin dude gets involved....seems like this is the only way to do it.  grrrrr.

Raptoroz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptoroz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 12:58pm

yeah i know that, but all this (excuse the way i say this HINT HINT schumacher) but all this ****ING around with this grub screw and changer, it is too much of  a pain to have to undo the the manifold all the time, the way u told me is that exact way i do it, which i still a pain to do, plus, the HPI tuned pipe i got on it is way to hot to touch.

if there is another hole in the other side of the g/b casing, then theres nothing in the way, no manifold to move, im going to strip it anyway when i do my diffs to have a look at this changer cause i dont get it, i may remove that 2nd pin that in the middle of the pawl, see if that help, but before i do that, i got a 25,000rpm drill i might put the shaft in and and grip 2nd soft with something to see if that changer comes of enough to want to make it move.

NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 2:12pm
Cool, sounds like an idea m8!   at the moment im willing to try anything....i am waiting to speak to the guy at schuey but he is not there until 3 apparently.....will see whether he has had a chance to do some testing etc.
NilSatis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilSatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 5:22pm
Spoke to the guy, posted the answer in the main raptor thread.....it didnt help, sniff.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic