www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Off Road
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ProCat body shell reproduction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProCat body shell reproduction
    Posted: 18 December 2006 at 6:33am

Alright, is anybody interested in having the ProCat body shell, under tray and wing reproduced?

Here's the story ... Antony who reproduced the TopCat bodies with Jason (Bormac) has offered to do this.  To make things simple he has offered for the bodies to be transacted and sent through him.

To get started he needs 10 orders and is asking a deposit of $10US, approximate cost would be as follows:

Body shell = $20US

Under tray = $15US

Wing = $7.50US

Antony may also choose to sell as a set.

If there is enough interest to do this, I will post my NIP uncut ProCat mould.  I don't actually need any myself but would be happy to help those who do.

Please email Antony to register your interest and organise a deposit, once there is 10 bodies he will start, once I send the moulds.

Antony's email: antony@floppyspongeonline.com

Please also post your interest here so I know we have enough people.

Bare in mind all prices are at Antonyís discretion, I will only be supplying the moulds.

Cheers, Scott

bormac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bormac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 7:46am
Scott,I definately want 3 shells and 3 wings.Are the wings the 'V' type?Thanks-Jason.
sciongroup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sciongroup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 11:00am

Hi Scott,

Put me down for 2 sets. Thanks for sorting this out.

Cheers

Chris

chiprandall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiprandall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2006 at 2:26am

Count me in for 2 full sets as well.

Great of you to do this.

alsoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 10:54am

Alright we are getting very close to an order here...

Gotta say I expected more interest as many of you have Procats.

Here a picture of the moulds Antony would be reproducing

JEROEN206 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEROEN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 11:03am

because the Shells are available again at Schumacher

alsoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 11:08am

Jeroen,

Did they do another run? This must have happened recently.

Scott

NeilD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 11:44am

They have being available for quite a while. The quality of the TopCat shell i received from Antony wasn't very good. The edges weren't smooth and one side of the shell looked like it had been cut badly. The shell was for a friend who was a little disapointed with it but decided to keep it.

I think if you want repro shells go directly to Schumacher the XLS shells i had made up were spot on.

tomstacey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 11:55am
Cool - Schumacher have started making ProCat shells again.. I was banging on at Robin for ages to do this! 
NeilD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 12:03pm
They do listen, sometimes.
bormac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bormac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 2:55am

Sorry about the Topcat shell Neil.I had to trim each shell back just to fit them into the only reasonable sized boxes I could get my hands on.Im certain that the werent trimmed above the 'CUT LINE' but if your friend is unhappy with his,return it and I wil replace it with another.I can say for cetain that I have painted up atleast 3 of Antonys Topcat repro's and they are very good quality repro shells.Perhaps you could take a look at the Cougar2000 shells Schumacher did for  Jeroen,these have very large bubbles in them from the vacuum holes in the mold.In my opinion these looked far `worse than the job Antony did on any of the Topcat shells.Not that I am complaining though as I am very greatful for the fact Schumacher did a small run of these impossible to find shells for the many bare chassis we wanted to cover up.Also just like the effort Antony went to for us by reproing the very rare Topcat shells.I think it would be good for us all to stand back and look at the bigger picture here and appreciate the efforts of those who make things happen for the rest of those who do very little.Thats just my opinion.

Originally posted by NeilD NeilD wrote:

They have being available for quite a while. The quality of the TopCat shell i received from Antony wasn't very good. The edges weren't smooth and one side of the shell looked like it had been cut badly. The shell was for a friend who was a little disapointed with it but decided to keep it.

I think if you want repro shells go directly to Schumacher the XLS shells i had made up were spot on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiprandall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 4:00am

I purchased two unpainted and and two painted Topcat shells and was very happy with them. I appreciate very much the trouble Jason and Anthony went to in reproducing these shells. They could not have made much if any money as they were sold very inexpensively. I would gladly purchase the Procat Shells from Anthony as we all know Schumacher can't always be counted on to do more runs of every shell, and to do them completely, i.e. wings and undertrays.

Anthony, if you make a run of these, I am still in for 2, maybe 3 full sets. Thanks again.

bormac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bormac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 5:03am
Well put Chad.It was a god send finding Antony and having him produce these shells was not for money making purposes.In the interest of making these shells affordable I even lost money facilitating the supply of these rare shells.Antony made very little money on these repro's and was almost done out of good spirit.I thank those who have helped support these little projects and at the end of the day we have been given a chance to have such great looking cars.Thankyou again Chad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiprandall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 6:04am
Cougar 2 Buggies Rule Mate!  Thanks again.
alsoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 10:33am

Guy's,

I'm still happy to provide the shell if you wish to go-ahead.

So far we have:

Bormac = 3, Chiprandall = 2 & Sciongroup = 2

Total of 7 but we will need 10 for Antony to proceed.

Let me know what you would like done as I wish to paint the shell I have soon, but naturally want to help out.

For what it's worth I'm extreemly happy with the Topcat shells Antony did; and thank Jason for all the effort.  Thats what makes this forum worth it, people who have never met but have common interests help others.  Its refreshing!

Scott

NeilD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 2:01pm

Jason, I know what it's like getting a run of shells together when people are all over the world i did it with the XLS, yes it's stressful, time consuming and at times a pain in the ass. I would expect you to raise your concerns if you weren't happy with something you had purchased and in the long term scheme, as a manufacturer Antony will have to accept and act on criticism, this isn't a personal attack it's me making him, as a business, aware that not all of his shells were spot on. I will mention to my friend that you are willing to exchange his moulding when i see him on Saturday and would like to thank you for such a generous offer.

Neil.

bormac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bormac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 6:38am
Hello Neil.I thought it might pay to let you know that Antony is not running a business out of reproducing shells.Antony owns his own engineering work shop where he designs and builds animatronics amongst many other things for a living.Just lile the rest of us,he makes a few dollars here a there to help with his hobby.He knows there is no profit for him in this kind of work and does it purely as part of his hobby.After I persued him asking if he would be so good as to help out with some Topcat shells he was very kind enough to agree.Now Im not sure how bad the shell you got really is as I did have a look at all that were posted (which I lost money on by the way) and they all looked the same to me.Still let your friend know that I will gladly exchange his Topcat shell should there really be a problem with it.Please keep in mind that there was no fortune earnt for any one involved with the reproduction of these shells but instead a very helpful hand was extended to us with the rare chance to see a very rare shell made available for those of us that had been searching for a way to complete and enjoy our Topcats.A big thanks goes out to all those that chipped in and made this possible.
NeilD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 4:13pm

Ok, so he's not running it as a business but he must ensure the quality remains high. The shell was very poor thats a fact. You lost money, join the club i forgot to add VAT to my XLS shells and ended up around £60 out of pocket. I too didn't make any profit but i wasn't looking too, it was important the people who wanted the shells got them BUT got good quality shells.

You have taken this very personally which is a shame all i was doing was raising a concern, this is my last comment on the matter.

bormac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bormac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 11:06pm
Is there anybody else out there who feels these shells are of a poor quality? I am very suprised at Neils veiw point on these shells.Neil make sure you have your friend post me this shell because every shell I have seen has been of a good quality and it wouldnt be fair for anyone to be looking a gift horse in the mouth.
bormac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bormac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2007 at 8:07am
Hello All,I have spoked with Antony about Neils concerns with the quality of his Topcat body repro.Antony took it upon himself to look up this post and has asked that I paste this following statement for him.Thankyou-Jason. 
Dear Neil,
Thank you for you criticism of the TopCAT body reproduction.  As you are
no doubt aware, the manufacture of bodies is something I do for leisure,
not profit.  I enjoy vintage RC and hope that having the skills and
equipment to help others repair or replace parts that may not be available
gives them similar pleasure to me.  Invariably a culture of helping out
leads to a greater number of skills being unearthed, benefiting the entire
hobby of vintage RC.  It would be a shame to see these fantastic old
machines relegated to our memories if they can be kept alive for us, and
possibly our children to enjoy in the future.

If you, or your friend, are not happy with the product, I am happy to
refund your money.  I would appreciate it, however, if these concerns are
aired with me first, rather than publicising your criticism before a)
sending me the body for refund or b) holding on to the body, but letting
everyone know you think they are low quality and by inference bad value
for money.

As you have assumed that the production run was purely business related, I
am happy to let you know that my net profit on the 20 (which were not all
sold) was $213.  At my rate per hour, this equates to 127 minutes of real
work for a client.  More time was taken than this to organise the shipment
of the original body to Australia.  I should also note that the original
shell from Schumacker was not blemish free, and this is reflected in the
bodies that have been produced.

If you don't wish hobbyists to help out the wider modelling community that
is fine, but you must be careful what you wish for, as people such as
Jason and Jeroen may not be so willing to risk their pristine parts, time
and energy when trying to ensure everyone benefits.  I however will not be
the one that suffers, as my cars will continue to have a plentiful supply
of bodies that means I can enjoy them for many years to come.

Sincerely,
Antony Howard
B. Eng (Hons)
Sole Director
Floppy Sponge Automation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic