www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Brushless Havoc thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RURC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Brushless Havoc thread
    Posted: 03 August 2006 at 1:23pm

First I have started this new thread because the other one became polluted with rude political comments from a member that is not welcom here to this thread. I have asked Robin Schumacher to personally see to it that the entire thread is removed. I apoligy for the loss of track on the thread. I also apoligy to those that went there for information and were greated by political and national bashing that was present and brought there by another.

This thread will be and will remane on topic.

I have another project with a Havoc I am going to get to soon I hope. A 4wd Havoc with 4 wheel steering. I will start a thread on this as is comes to light.

Here is the link to my brushless Havoc pictures.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/michaelmeisman/detail?.dir=1fa bscd&.dnm=2212re2.jpg&.src=ph

Many of the posts asked me why I did it. I really feel that the future of RC will be brushless electric. I am continueing to build cars that show the public what can be done if you look outside the box of typical thinking. Thanks for reading and looking.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 1:50pm
i cant see the pics :( :(
bobjimmerly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobjimmerly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 3:02pm
yeh pics dont work
RURC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RURC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 3:28pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 3:43pm
i like that good idea well done on that nice comething different isnt it 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 4:39pm

Hello RURC,

I wasnt trying to offend or be rude, but give an unbiased veiw on the situation that "you" brought up.

Which is what i did. Not rude or national bashing. But the truth. I am sorry it offened you.

Maybe you were right. Maybe we can be friends after all, seeing as you understand that whats going on is wrong.

Thank you.

Vortex21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vortex21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 6:38pm

Wow, i didnt know we still did cyber arguments

But back on topic, like i said RURC, your brushless conversion concept will really make you tons of money in the future if you want to take that path as another career or somthing. I seen that Harm has a few electric 1/5th scales. Did you convert any 1/5ths yet?

RURC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RURC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 7:21pm

Vortex21- Good to hear from you. When the person got anti semitic and could not listen to reason I would go no further. When Chris gets back from the European championships this week it will be removed in total as I have requested Robin told me eairler today.

I have done a Ledenbacher for someone else. It was running a 37 volt lipo pack. I did this about a year ago. I will have to contact him and get some pictures. About 4 months ago he contacted me because he had crashed bad and needed a new motor mount brace for it. I sent him the cad file and he had someone in Washington state make it for him. I know he got it back on the road but that is all. I remember it being very stable. With the new motors and controllers now available this would be a rocket on rails.

I am working with a custom builder in Ohio and he is building me a 1/5 4wd buggy ( I like off road). He is making all the changes I want from the get go. To keep costs down he is doing this on down time so we are about 2 to 3 months out from it. The cost on the rolling car is still going to be about $1600. So it is not cheap. But I think it is going to be worth it. But I have been wrong before.

Luigimi2- Thank you. I will have the 1/8 scale buggie and the funny car up with photos soon. I will post a link to the master photo book soon.

RURC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RURC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 7:22pm
I forgot to say the the 4wd Havoc will also be brushless electric.
Vortex21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vortex21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 7:52pm
Well that sounds like a plan to me Keep up the good work. Now I know who to call on if I want to go get a fast electric rc.
RURC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RURC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 8:07pm

V- you are in California arnt you.

Vortex21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vortex21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 9:54pm
Hehe... noooo, im on the eastside, im in Va
LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 10:12pm
RURC, I would certainly like to see pics of the 1/5th buggy. As you may know I'm making a buggy that size myself, although mine runs on twin .32 nitro engines, not electric. I'm hoping to make big progress on the upgrades for it in the next few weeks, as I have just completed my CNC mill.
RURC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RURC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 12:18pm

The buggy is mostly in cad still. As things come around I will start a thread somewhere and let you know. Some of the things we are doing do use off the shelf parts (control arms, hindge pins) this is done for future repairability. I mean who wants to be out and you break a front control arm and you have go back and mill one. The first one is going to be aluminum. The second (with any changes) will be carbon fiber and carbon ceramic with a few aluminum parts.

monkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 1:37pm

please dont delete ALL of that thread, just the off topic bits will do as there are some good posts with info and links i think more than myself found a good viewing

thunder tiger do a 4x4 with the .28pro engine in it, from the image i saw of it it looked fairly similar to the Havoc, could they be of a similar design origin? can you borrow bits off that for 4x4 or do you prefer the machine work yourself?

RURC, what Cad package do you use? im on autocad2006 & 7 and have a few ideas i need to draw up, ie a motor mount to convert a spare rwd chassis (youve inspired me!).

as far as the lithium ion batteries/cells you use; i was checking some out on the web last week and found some good ones, but how do you charge them up? would a normal 1400 charger do?!!

from what i read they are pretty volatile when put near water/moisture. how do you safegaurd against them getting affected? would a standard market spec ESC be able to take the extra current or does it require good knowledge of electronics to do such a project?!

LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 5:19pm
I work on the principle that once machined, the part will never break. Unfortunately that doesn't always work out to be the case. That is why I stopped racing my home build on-road car.
Monkey, your standard charger will DEFINITELY not work, read up some on lithium tech to be safe. If you connect that charger to anything lithium, chances are you will start a fire.
RURC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RURC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 6:40pm

Long Rat is right. READ READ READ. you will cause at least a fire if not a out right explosion. Special chargers are a must. However many good chargers are not expensive. Also the very good ones will also charge your standard batteries also.

I had the Pro Thunder Tiger XTR Pro extreem. It had a .90 motor in it. Crazy power. Not the fastest but the most powerful car I have ever dirven pound for pound. The motor was a modified 90 chopper motor. I really like Thunder Tiger.

The batteries are a varriant of the Lithium Ion. Mostly I use lithium poly and I have many lithium manganeese (spelled wrong I am sure). Ion right now cant handle the current draw. However there are new designs on the close horizon. You have to really understand lithiums to buy the right ones. If you wish I will do a rather long post that will go over the little things you need to look at to get the right ones.

Yes your standard electronics can handle a 7.4 volt lipo pack, but not any thing larger. Most brushless systems can handle up to 24 volts. You just need to make sure the motor can. I generally run 11.1 to 14.8 volts. This is generally pleanty. I blow most cars away with 11.1. If I do 14 it is just to go really really fast.

As far as cad, I use Ideas, SolidWorks, Maya, SDRC, and Fluent. Fluent is generally a fluid dynamics package. But you can design in it to a degree. I have a Quintax 5 axis cnc with a XYZ of 5m x 5m x 4.1m. Yes that is meters. C is 380 degrees and B is a max of 120 degrees each way from the zero point. It is a very large machine. You can drive a car through it. The Quintax uses a Fagor interface for tool path.

monkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2006 at 5:18pm

Thats cool!!! I would love to have something like that, just in my garden shed.....

I've heard of SolidWorks and Maya (i thought that was used for lighting physics?) (could be another program )

I will read lots now you guys have said it. the last thing i want is to blow my house up!!  A list would be really helpful, then i would know what to read up on better, thanks

It would be very cool to completely whoop nitro cars, it would proove that leccy, at the end of the day, does have the advantage (at least at this scale).

I ran my Havoc against my mates Thunder Tiger EK4 again yesterday, with the 0.70 chopper engine. half way through the evening he had it in bits....a 1 inch crack in the crank case    

When it works, it is fantastic! But that is one irritating truck (nothing but breaks, sheared bolts and parts falling off - even with threadlock) He took it back to the shop today in frustration, and called me up to enquire about what Schumacher are like. I think i did a good PR job for you there Schuey! If he gets his money back hes gonna buy one to replace the EK4. lets hope eh

sorry, slightly off topic there..

RURC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RURC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2006 at 12:56pm
Yes the EK4 was a repair nightmare. But when it worked WOW. The 90 was not as fast as the 70 but it had tons more torque. If he blew the case appart he did something wrong. I will say that Thunder Tiger motors are to me the best motors out. They are strong and reliable. At least in my experance. If I was going to keep a nitro it woulf have one of them in it. Do you think the ice cap was big enouf on that thing?

We did an 3 hour endurance race a few weeks ago with one of the 1/8 buggies. The other racers said we could bring what ever we wanted. They limited us in no way. Well we just used the car the way we normally do but fitted 12000 mah lipos in it. We had to make one pit stop for the entire race to change batteries. And we flagged the feild by 10 laps. They were shocked to say the least. We geared the buggy to be around the same top speed as the fastest buggy. The reason we were so far out in front was the lack of pit stops. They were stopping every 15 to 20 minutes. Our lape were avrageing about 3 fastest. Yes we had a great driver but he was not a pro or anything like that.
monkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2006 at 10:19pm

well they do say the proof is in the pudding! good job!

i love that 0.70 engine, it just takes a tiny amount of throttle and she roars like a howling banshee!! ive never known an RC to attract so much attention from passers by. i hope he gets it back, and fixed...

the funny thing is, even with the crack (which goes underneath and along the engine mount) the engine still fires up and runs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic