www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help on changing pinion bell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pretender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help on changing pinion bell
    Posted: 16 July 2004 at 7:10am

helllo.

i need some help installing the optional high speed pinion bell.  i don't know what to do and it has been laying in my toolbox for some time now.  can someone tell me how to take off the stock gearing and install the other one. 

thanks.

glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2004 at 10:33am
To take off the old one, simply undo the screw at the end of the crankshaft (centre of the pinion bell). Should just slide off, slide the new one on and do up the screw again.

To undo the screw you will need to grip the flywheel, i use some large self locking plyers for this (just like a wrench). Same when putting screw on again.

Edited by glypo
nitrohead5300 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrohead5300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2004 at 3:02pm

I have big hands my technique is to remove the engine from the chassis so I can get a better hold on it. Put the grips on the flywheel back out the screw, remove the old clutchbell, take the ball bearing out and the roller bearing spacer etc. Make sure you don't lose any of the roller from the roller bearing! Put the bearings and the spacer in the order indicated on page 21 of your fusion instruction manual.Before you put your screw in put a little bit of lock tite on its tip so it does not vibrate out when your motor is running. Tighten the screw do securely. Put your motor back on the engine mounts, put a little locktite on the screws crank em back down. Now you are almost finish  because this is a different size clutchbell you will have to readjust gear mesh!! You do this by loosing up the motor mounts and moving the engine towards the front of the chassis adjust mesh so clutchbell does not bind with spur gears but spins freely.

glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2004 at 3:27pm
Can i also just say, be careful removing the bell.

Use a hex driver if you have one, or if you have to use a allen key make sure it's a good one.

It seems all the screw heads on all schumachers screws seem soft and will strip. If you get a screw stuck on the end of the clutch bell you'd be in a very bad situation indeed.
pretender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pretender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2004 at 1:02am

thanks glypo and nitrohead,

i will try these techniques

thanks again...Clap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrohead5300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2004 at 1:21am
You are welcome.
sirus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2004 at 5:02am
haha wish i could get a  video recording of that :P  btw  wats the fastest car u can buy? is it fusion 21? or does a diff company have a better one?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrohead5300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2004 at 2:33pm

If you are talking about right out of the box with no modification then the cen-cts-4 is the fastest.  But it is real slow on take off and needs about 600 feet to reach its top speed of 70mph. Also it  kinda hard to get parts for most, hobby shops here in the state don't carry cen cars. If you break something you are going to be down for days because you are going to have to order the part from the factory. My local hobbyshops carry schumacher cars and replacment parts .  The cen car has potential but it's company is suffering growing pains, needs better quality control on their products until that happens I am going to stick with schumacher.

sirus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2004 at 2:09pm
hey how do i change the e-start screw on the fusion 21? u noe the thing that the drill piece plugs into when u start it, how do i get it out? i gota change it cos i wore mine down
glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2004 at 3:11pm
Quote All you need is a pair of vice grips and needle-nosed pliers. Use the plieres to pull out the one way bearing, turn the bearing around leave enough of the bearing exposed so that you can grip it with the vice grip and use the other vice grip to back out the screw...and its done

Seems the best way
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic