www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Off Road
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whois still racing their CAT 3k???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whois still racing their CAT 3k???
    Posted: 19 June 2006 at 11:29pm
Ok who out here still races the ole pussy cat 3k? personally i still think this is still way up there with the latest breed of buggies in the market today and if i get my hands on my 3k from storage i may just race it again . Look at it like this, the new yoke isnt too far away from the 3k layout and niether is the new tamiya belt drive
Fast_as_a_? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast_as_a_? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2006 at 11:48pm
Im still racing my 3k and it is doing the business for me every week, it more than keeps up with the losi's and others!!!  Im loving it, the only problem is its getting a bit baggy in its old age, and no amount of new bits seem to tighten it back up, never mind, looks like the way Schumacher are going it could have to last another couple of years till they can be arsed to release something new and exciting!!  (Thats a hint to anyone from Schui reading this!!!)
DirtRacer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 12:01am
Wow, thats good to hear, to be honest im not sure theres really anything fundamentally lacking with the 3k to come out with a different buggy altogether? look at all the current crops of buggies, all having the cells mounted at the back side by side saddle, even the shafties are or having to go this way. At least schumacher could still make the parts?  at least to keep the guys loyal motoring on with the 3k?
autoxvw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autoxvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 1:00am
I still run my 3k as well here is the states.  I have a load of spares but I do have the same issues with slop mainly in the front end but what can you do other than runnin the menace front end.  I do think the gearing ratio isnt up with most of the newer cars on the market but I still win with the 3k.  The track I used to run at closed so I have been driving a bit further to a larger track but most people only run gas (1/10, 1/8 truggies and monster) so they usualy throw us electric guys out with the 1/10 gas trucks and I still romp on them.
DirtRacer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 2:17am

I too (recently) reside in the states, CA to be exact, whereabouts do you race or area Autoxvw?, with regards the slop, where you getting it mainly?. I know certain manufacturers do better than others with regards delaying slops in the ball ends and joints department. I have yet to see the menace front end and have heard it does a good deal, perhaps if my newly purchased cat3k with those mods mentioned come early ill be able to post my findings  ....

With regards the gear ratio business, care to explain a little more, does it feel slow or too torque? is there a certain spur and pinion combo with motor that is generally good? to be honest if spares were only too readily available id race my Cat98EC, i will pit this car amongst the best ive driven, i dunno what it is about this chasis but i just love it.

Edited by DirtRacer
autoxvw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autoxvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 4:24am

Dirtracer,

I am in riverside CA.  I was racing at extreme rc but they closed so now Im starting back up at revelation raceway in ontario on Sat nights.  The slop I am refering to is in the front end.  to me it seems the universal joints seem to wear out fairly fast as well as the front hub carriers.  I have the 5 deg. aluminum ones but they are worn and are not available anymore.  As for the gearing ratio,  I love the smoothness of the belt system but it seems to lack the punch in the corners like the other newer vehicles on the track.  I have the same top end its just low end that it lacks.  Where abouts in Ca are you?

DirtRacer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 5:25am

Autoxvw, i live in around burbank area ..

With regards the punch, i cant remember off by heart what spur i was using but i do know its in the 92 upwards till about 96?, anything lower does lag the acceleration as you said, i didnt use anything lower than 10's in the motor department  ... I know exactly what you mean by the UJ's but i used mine for little over 2 years on my 98ec. With the carriers, ill try and fit some thin washers when i can, i seem to find the motor shims thin enough to fit though you may have to make the hole a little bigger or u can use the plastic shims which you can push fit and i find this adequate to get rid of slops. 

NeilD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 9:10am
I race my 3k every saturday night and on the whole it's still doing the business. It does lack drive out of the corners compared to the newer cars hence i'm buying a Yokomo.
DirtRacer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 7:37pm

Well, i just had to buy this. It basically comes with everything Menace front end, Carbon chasis, TDS, Titanium shafts + turnbuckles + hinge pins, speedo's and servos (minus cells, motors), which made it a package that was hard to turn down. Ill have these shipped to me and think ill race these instead, note: this is a two car package and both cost me 230pounds on the bay, bargain if you ask me

Chasis 1

Chasis 2

Edited by DirtRacer
Eman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 7:41pm
Sweet man.  Nice grab on eBay. 

(I've recently noticed that UK eBay is a different site than the US one - I don't see UK auctions on the US site - which makes sense, I suppose...)
allen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 7:52pm
nice lot i was also bidding on them
DirtRacer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 8:50pm

Originally posted by Eman Eman wrote:

Sweet man.  Nice grab on eBay. 

(I've recently noticed that UK eBay is a different site than the US one - I don't see UK auctions on the US site - which makes sense, I suppose...)

Dude, if your after schumacher stuff, the only way to get the desperate parts you need is to go on the uk ebay, i suppose i have the advantage of having friends and relatives who can pay and recieve the items for me if the seller only wants to sell within the UK, also i used to live there which helps in a big way . The only time you would see ebay stuff advertised in the uk, also advertised on the us ebay is when the seller is willing to ship worldwide. But dont be discouraged to forward a question with regards posting to the us, some do reconsider, take for example the seller i bought this off from. He advertised posting to the uk only but because around 3 potential bidders from overseas asked him, he then agreed to do so. So my advice is, if you dont ask you wont get.

Eman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 8:53pm
Good points, DirtRacer.  I think I'll sign up for eBay UK to look, and ask nicely for US shipping as you've suggested.

Is it an entirely separate site (I'll need a separate login/pwd/account from my US one)?  Hmm, guess I'll find out. 

(Added later):  Same ebay acct, you just search in a different area (US, UK, etc).  Yes, I'm dim today. 

Edited by Eman
DirtRacer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 9:14pm
Dude, you only have to use you "current" ebay account, no need to re-register. GL
DirtRacer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by allen allen wrote:

nice lot i was also bidding on them

Sowwy bud, i guess luck was on my side this time.

allen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 10:01pm
no worries
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic