www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

carb info and tunning guide!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lavaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 1:08pm
I had quite a serious crash yesterday and i think i've knackered the carb, the engine is out but i'm constantly putting it back in to test new settings.

seems to me like the rubber thing on the throttle is opening it and making it rev very high where it should just tick over nicely. should this happen?

should i only try and tune it with it attached to the throttle servo (i'm thinking that will keep it closed)

i can push the throttle back then it opens again by itself leaving about a 3mm gap.#

can't get my head around it, any and all help very appreciated. cheers
GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 11:53am
No, I can't get my head round it either!

Take the air filter off and look down the carb with the servos on (and TX on) and check the gap first and make sure it is 3mm and then we could go from there. 

Unless the car inverted and landed on the carb, I think it is pretty rare to damage them, they are fairly simple devices with one moving part!
Lavaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lavaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:32pm
Yea i don't reckon it's the carb after all :) it appears that i have fried the clutch shoes.... well at least they look nothing like the new parts, (all black with white powder residue and very warped) the gears have been shreaded too.
New parts are on the way so i guess by process of elimination i'll figure what's wrong with it.
This is a steep learning curve, but from everything i've got out of it so far i like!

when i get the beast back up and running i'm going to consider selling it on ebay and picking up a spanker.

my reasoning for this, some parts are a little grubby and worn and i'm looking to buy all the upgrade parts... nice new shiny wishbones, hubs,  etc etc won't look good next to rusted / tarnished old turnbuckles and driveshafts.

thanks for all the help so far :)
GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 5:27pm
Just get some wet n dry and you can get rid of the rust, then use hammerite to repaint and treat.  MUCH CHEAPER!!

Yeh clutch normally goes brown due to heat, black is definitely gone. 
slippyjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippyjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 9:23pm
Hiya,

I am a bit confused with this tuning....
Ive got a Nitro 21 Extreme thats about 10 years old, I havent used it for at least 5 years....

Managed to get it to start and idle Ok now, but as soon as I accelerate hard it stalls. Ive tried fiddling with the settings but decided its time to get some help!!

According to the schumacher instructions that came with my car
HSN - 1 1/4 turns out
LSN - 0.4mm below flush
idle - 0.5mm slide open

but...
According to the thunder tiger instructions that came with my car
HSN - 2 to 2 1/2 turns out
LSN - no mention
idle - no mention

which are both different to what is mentioned earlier in this post
HSN: 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 from fully screwed in
LSN: 2-3 mm from flush
Idle: 2mm gap

My LSN only goes in about 1 -1.5mm anyway

Any help is much appreciated
Anthoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 11:48pm

Here is a link to Schumachers base settings for the TTr.21- here

I would start with-

Idle gap at 0.5mm from open at least, adjusted by removing the air filter and vary the gap between the slide and the carb body using the screw with the spring on it.

LSN adjusted to 0.4mm from flush, make the head of the screw on the end of the carb flush and then turn screw anti-clockwise untill the head of the screw is 0.4mm from surround.

HSN adjusted to 2.5 turns from closed, turn the screw with the brass surround in gently untill it stops then anti-clock 2.5 times.

slippyjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippyjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:34pm
Hiya,

I got my new OS no8 plug today so will be trying that out with the recommended settings.

cheers
slippyjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippyjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 3:38pm
I finally got round to trying everything out and eventually got it going OK after replacing the fuel pipe it had come loose and was letting air in.

Thanks for your help
sid8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 5:33am
very good insrtuctions. I need to know the setting of my nitro car when i give it full throttle it loses power and starts to splutter and not work then cut out.

Regards
Sid
Anthoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 5:25pm
If there is a lot of smoke/oil coming out of the exhaust then it is too rich (HSN)...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic