www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Futaba Charger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukecarpenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Futaba Charger
    Posted: 15 February 2006 at 6:06pm

Alright lads, Got a prob.

I've just bought a futaba tx rx charger of ebay and been charging a 5 cell hump pack I got from hong kong (ebay). When i plug the hump pack in to charge the red light only comes on very dimmy. When i plug it in to the standard 4 re-chargable battery pack the light come on bright and clear. any ideas?

It might not matter cause the light is comeing on with both.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Luke

matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 6:11pm
yer i dont trust ebay as most of the stuff is well  cr*p so my advice is buy a proper charger from a model shop so please take my advice dont trust EBAY
Wizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 6:16pm
It could be that the 5cell pack draws a high current and the charger is not strong enough to charge the pack or there is a problem with the 5 cell or charger it self.
LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 6:39pm
It is probably the charger - not designed for charging a 6V pack. The light goes dimmer when the charge current is low. The reason it is low is because the battery voltage is almost the same as the charger's output voltage - so nothing to push current into your 5 cell pack. If you put a 4 cell pack on it this should confirm - as long as the 4 cell is not fully charged, the light should be bright (pack voltage significantly lower than charger output voltage).
If this is the case, you need to use a charger suitable for 5 cell packs.
lukecarpenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukecarpenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 7:07pm

Cheers Lads.

lukecarpenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukecarpenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 7:49pm
So quite a bad investment then. any suggestions on chargers.
LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 7:57pm
I use the one I have for my electric cars. I'm guessing you don't run electric though. I'd look into a cheap electric car pack charger, most can be configured to charge different numbers of cells. Be careful not to go over about 1 amp charge current as this will overheat the batts and possibly damage them. Still they will be charged in around an hour, depending on the capacity of the 5 cell pack you are using.
lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 9:14pm
iv got all my bits from ebay prob the same bloke as well and all are mint never had a prob and the futaba charger is made so that the led goes out when it is charged and they are ment to charge the 6v packs when you flatten it completley it will go brighter but not as bright as the trx light as this draws more it is working how it is ment to mate
hutchybee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hutchybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by lukecarpenter lukecarpenter wrote:

Alright lads, Got a prob.

I've just bought a futaba tx rx charger of ebay and been charging a 5 cell hump pack I got from hong kong (ebay). When i plug the hump pack in to charge the red light only comes on very dimmy. When i plug it in to the standard 4 re-chargable battery pack the light come on bright and clear. any ideas?

It might not matter cause the light is comeing on with both.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Luke

I had the same problem. I consulted my lhs and they said you need a proper charger to charge hump packs, so I bought one of these and put tamiya connectors on the hump pack and have never had a problem since.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ripmax-Pro-Peak-Multi-Q-Fast-Charger_W 0QQitemZ6035387055QQcategoryZ123849QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by hutchybee
LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 11:43pm
Does the Futaba charger have an output voltage written on it? If not, you can test it with a voltmeter. I have one myself, only 4.8V output and I have never seen one which could charge a 6V pack. It will put a small amount of charge into one, enough to use, but the capacity and power will be way down. Do yourself a favour and get a peak detection charger, also means you can zap the battery with a quick charge when you forget to charge it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic