www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Motors Batteries and Chargers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stock performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99prokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stock performance
    Posted: 07 October 2004 at 4:47pm

is there anything that i can do to my trinity revenge of the monster pro stock motor that will improve the performance without having to spend loads? at the moment i hav soldered the motor wires straight onto the brush shunbt which helped a bit and had a play about with the brushes and ballraced it but is there anything else that i can do 2 it?

thanx, ben.

col7104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote col7104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 6:21pm
try skimming it
99prokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99prokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 10:52pm
doesnt need skimming at the moment cus its fairly new but is there anythin else that can be done to it.
neveo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2004 at 5:59pm
Yep.... have a play with brush/spring combo's ..... serrations etc. How much is 'loads' tho' ?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2004 at 11:51pm
stock motors that are included with many electric cars and trucks are generally long on run time but short on power, and that’s one reason why machine-wound modified motors are such a hot hop-up. But you don’t have to wait until you’ve saved enough pennies for a mod motor to start going fast; with a few classic motor-tuning tricks and the right gearing, you can make any stock motor pump out more ponies. Here’s how to extract more power and keep your motor running fast, battery pack after battery pack.

Step 1: Break-in

Attach a 4-cell (4.8V) battery pack to the positive and negative leads on the motor. Next, dip the motor (while it’s running) into a cup of water for 3 seconds. Actually count out “one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three,” then pull the motor out of the water. The water coursing between the commutator and the brushes will almost instantly shape the brush faces so they conform perfectly to the motor’s comm.

Step 1: Break In Step 2: Drying the Motor
Left: Never water-dip a motor that uses any type of AC-powered device; only those that use a battery. This 4-cell pack is just an old stick pack with two cells removed.

Right: Blast any water out of the motor with a high-quality RC motor cleaner, then let it dry completely before proceeding with the next step.

Step 2: Drying the motor

After you remove the motor from the water, spray motor spray liberally through one of the cooling vents on the motor can; be sure to saturate the motor’s innards. Then place the motor on a rag so it dries, and any excess motor spray is absorbed. This will accomplish two things: first, the spray will clean the motor by removing all the carbon deposits left over from the break-in process, and second, the motor spray will displace excess water inside the motor.

Step 3: Lubing the Bushings

Step 3: Lubing the bushings

After the motor has dried completely, add a couple of drops of bushing lube to the motor’s oilite bushings. Trinity, Team Orion and several other manufacturers offer lube that’s designed specifically for electric motors. Spin the armature to distribute the oil evenly on the bushings.

Lube the bushings with Trinity Royal Oil or a similar light lubricant, and spin the armature to evenly distribute the lube.

Applying comm drops
Comm drops can be applied to the commutator to increase conductivity between the brush face and commutator. Comm drops also lubricate the brushes and armature to reduce friction, and that translates into increased power and efficiency. Again, Trinity and Team Orion offer comm drops, as do a slew of other RC after- market companies.

Right: Lube the bushings with Trinity Royal Oil or a similar light lubricant, and spin the armature to evenly distribute the lube.

Step 4: applying comm drops
  SOURCE GUIDE
  CS ELECTRONICS
distributed by Schumacher USA,
6302 Benjamin Rd., Ste. 404,
Tampa, FL 33634;
(813) 889-9691;
www.racing-cars.com.

Model Rectifier Corp. (MRC)
80 Newfield Ave.,
Edison, NJ 08818-6312;
(732) 225-6360;
www.modelrec.com

Team Orion Inc.
22601 La Palma, Ste. 103,
Yorba Linda, CA 92877;
(714) 694-2812;
www.team-orion.com

Traxxas Corp.
12150 Shiloh Rd., #120,
Dallas, TX 75228;
(972) 613-3300;
www.traxxas.com

Trinity Products Inc.
36 Meridian Rd.,
Edison, NJ 08820;
(732) 635-1600;
www.teamtrinity.com

The results are in!
Giving the treatment to a Traxxas Stinger
As the pictures show, we chose to give “the treatment” to a Traxxas Stinger. This closed-endbell motor features 20 turns (instead of the usual 27) for more power output than other 540s, but it can go even faster with the tips outlined in this article. How much faster? We dyno’d the Stinger on a CS Electronic PowerCheck dyno to find out. First, we tested the motor straight out of a never-run Traxxas Bandit (the Stinger is also used in the Stampede, the Rustler and the 4-Tec), and we tested it again after using the power-enhancing tricks. Check out the numbers:

Maximum rpm didn’t increase much, but that isn’t the important number—look at the power. Maximum power has increased more than 10 watts, and power at maximum efficiency is way up—from 41 to 67 watts. What does it all mean? In a nutshell, the Stinger now has more power, but it really isn’t any faster—unless you gear it up. The motor’s extra power can be used to turn a taller gear ratio, and that will make your car or truck go faster. Think of it this way: if you and a friend can both pedal a bicycle at a maximum of 100rpm, and you keep your bikes in first gear, you’ll both have the same top speed. But if you’re strong enough to pedal at 100rpm in second gear, you’ll go faster than your friend will in first gear, even though you’re both pedaling at 100rpm.

To get a taller gear ratio, you can install a pinion with more teeth or a spur gear with fewer teeth. Experiment for best performance, and keep in mind that a one-tooth change on the pinion is equal to a change of approximately three teeth on the spur gear. And don’t forget that there’s no free lunch here; if you gear your car or truck to go faster, it won’t run as long on a charge. There’s always a tradeoff!

Before After
Maximum rpm 23,923 24,370
Maximum power (watts) 87.9 99.8
Rpm at maximum efficiency 19,913 18,915
Rpm at maximum efficiency 19,913 18,915
Power at maximum efficiency (watts) 41 67
Rpm at maximum power 11,033 13,673
Efficiency at maximum power 41% 49%

Edited by cossie
neveo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 12:59am

Was the above 'treatment' done on a new motor ??
Getting an extra 12W out of a motor without a skim or new brushes or anything done to them is quite good !  not sure how tho ....

Ive found that the best Comm drops are the Tribo 1's (In the black bottle)

Also car brake pad cleaner is very good for cleaning all the carp out of motors... if u do use it tho make sure to lube it back up !!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 1:30am
nah it aint a really new motor but im sure it will work on any motor not just stocks
luke hobson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke hobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2004 at 4:22pm

that only really works with sealed stock motors,

one thing i would strongly advise that you do is just buy some Putnam brushes (for national racing) or just use the 4499 brushes that come with it (fine for club racing)

i don't normally do anything to my motors apart from change brushes to Putnams and they are as quick as any others drivers with the correct gearing,

hth luke

Gazteb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazteb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 10:10am
Originally posted by neveo neveo wrote:

Was the above 'treatment' done on a new motor ??
Getting an extra 12W out of a motor without a skim or new brushes or anything done to them is quite good !  not sure how tho ....

Ive found that the best Comm drops are the Tribo 1's (In the black bottle)

Also car brake pad cleaner is very good for cleaning all the carp out of motors... if u do use it tho make sure to lube it back up !!

How did you manage to get fish in your motor?!!

99prokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99prokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 10:18am

right i have ordered sum of those putnam brushes that luke suggested so they should be here either monday or tuesday so hopefully they will make a difference. thanx guys :D

o and i hav also cleaned the comm using sum brasso and its as shiney now as it was wen it was new. not sure weather that will help the performance much but it should do.

Ashdown604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashdown604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Gazteb Gazteb wrote:

I'm still considering whether to take this seriously or not.

Also make sure the brush hoods are aligned (I think Parma makes a took for this?)

K Bishop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 8:43pm

A standard motor should be skimmed after it's first run even if it looks ok. the copper and the plastic need to settle after they get hot they cool at different rates and can distort the copper. you will  notice a big differance

99prokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99prokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2004 at 9:28am

well i hav ordered some putnam brushes, and a new stock armature from trinity after a small problem with the existing one wen i was racing on saturday  the problem involved rather a lot of smoke and a distinctive burning smell  hey wot am i laffing for it was my motor

vectra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2004 at 9:52am

Originally posted by Gazteb Gazteb wrote:

Edited by vectra
neveo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2004 at 12:06pm

Gazteb wrote:

LMAO

MI2_Racer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI2_Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2004 at 10:27pm
Anybody know what the best 19T stock motor is and what pinion you should use is with a 95T layshaft gear?
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 9:56am

I have a Peak Dynasty 19t, great if you don't want to skim your motor often, and my bro has a Fantom quad mag 19t, not sure how that goes.

Pinion depends on what track your running on.

luke hobson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke hobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 2:15pm

yeh the fantom quad magnet has some serious speed when it is geared correctly and has putnams in it

luke

Simon Kelsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Kelsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 4:22pm

Quote Anybody know what the best 19T stock motor is

Worms, can, tin opener .

Edited by Simon Kelsey
MI2_Racer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI2_Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 9:41pm
Cheers guys, I will see if I can get my hands on one of those. Do you run a motor heatsink with any of those motors and if so does it help performance any?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic