www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brakes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat3366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brakes?
    Posted: 05 October 2004 at 1:46am

Is there any way to upgrade on brakes for the menace as to get the brakes in the wheel wale?

insanemenace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanemenace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 11:35am

what is wheel wale??

But as for brakes I know of no off the shelf upgrades but there are things that you can do to improve them to some extent.

1. get a good quality servo.

2.replace the original brake arm with a thicker version off of some other car, I used one off old thunder tiger sedan and it was thicker and made of higher quality steel, this reguires the brake post/cam to be drilled out to accept the bigger arm. Be careful if drilling use the smallest possible bit.

3. drill out the brake cam mounting braket(on gearbox case) while it is assembled but minus the brakes with only the carbon spacer thing, and insert two brass bushes for the cam/post to turn in, this greatly reduces the friction and binding. The carbon fibre spacer must be mounted when you drill otherwise the drill will wander out of its place and you also want some of the carbon bit to be removed as that allows the centre point of the cam to be in roughly the same point as it was originally. From memory I used 5.5mm thin walled brass tube and it was a bit loose but that helps to get the moly grease in there.

4. replace the grub screw with one of the kit ball ends but file it down a bit and use two of the kit ball cups and some threaded rod or small turnbuckle and brace the cam/post to something solid, this will prevent it from bending when you get a really powerful servo, I bent mine when I upraded the servo. The use of ball ends/ cups allows free rotation of the post but won't let it bend.

5.the only other option is to experiment with disk/pad combinations off of other cars but the that becomes expensive if they don't fit properly.

matt1049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt1049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 4:51pm

do u mean by wheel wale wheel well?(as in put disk brakes inside each wheel)

i dont really know how, it would be a hell of a project, cant think of anything from other trucks that may fit, but u wouldnt b able to c them from the outside neway bcuz the menace wheels are solid, and i think thats pretty much unneccessary

disk brakes are made in cf and fiberglass, mayb u can find a fiberglass one to fit, i have one in my xtr

wildcat3366 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat3366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 7:16pm
matt u r more on what im lookin for if u go to general descusion and click on the ebay tools and then click on the link that will take ya to ebay and look at it

Edited by wildcat3366
matt1049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt1049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 11:55pm

ya thats what i thought u meant-i know its on other cars and is possible

however, to fit a system like that to the menace would require a TON of fabricating and customizing, plus whatever parts you have to buy from a dif car to fit on, plus i dont think anyone has tried somthin like that yet(the little bits and scratch stuff would be a reel headache for sure)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat3366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 12:26am
If its gonna be as hard as it seems i guess ill just stick to the stock brake. o well thought it would be a kool project.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanemenace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 2:47am

would be easier to make inboard disk brakes as opposed to having them on the wheels, mounted to the outdrives instead and then all the mountings would be solid and not require cable linkages as on the cars that use that style of brakes.

Being that the menace has a constant 4wd the brakes would only be required on one end of the truck, wherever it would fit best.

Inboard disks combined with the factory brakes would work very well indeed.

A system similar to the cresenzi??? brake available for the GT would be very easy to make, it works like a drum brake in that a band is used to provide resistance on a drum, this is very versatile as different metals could be trialed to find the most suitable.

This would be very cheap to make.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat3366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 3:07am
it still seems to hard for me to do

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanemenace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 3:11am
fair enough then, just get a better servo and that will improve it a bit. consider what i said earlier that stuff is very simple with a few basic tools in hand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat3366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 6:39pm
what kind of servovs work the best?        and how much do they cost?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 7:02pm
high torque servos r best 4 braking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat3366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 10:23pm

i might look into it     those walls dont budge much when u hit them

Edited by wildcat3366

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanemenace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 3:21pm
a servo with 5.5kg TQ or more will be sufficient
LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 10:36am
If you want to make brakes at the wheels, it is possible. Just have to make sure you apply equal force to left and right! Take a look at the caliper and disc I put on one of my trucks:
Disc pic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanemenace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 12:54pm

how did that system work for you?

LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 9:50pm
Using Hitec 645MG, enough to flip an 11lb truck forward and back onto its wheels.
matt1049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt1049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 10:17pm

very nice

like the tires too(big masher fan after i bought mine)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanemenace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2004 at 1:07pm

Very nice machine work there LongRat, I just checked out your site and you are one very smart person, some of the stuff you have made is simply awesome. Good on ya.

LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2004 at 5:22pm
Thanks for the big-ups guys.
The project car I'm currently working on has 4 discs, one per wheel. I'll post about their performance when its finished. Info on the new ride: here
xtr is the nuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtr is the nuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2005 at 9:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic