www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

guides,hints,tips add your own! pls stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: guides,hints,tips add your own! pls stick
    Posted: 17 January 2006 at 10:12pm

have talked to a few members and thought it a good idea to start a thread full of all hints,tips,guides and knowledge we have picked up since owning and fixing r/c's after the fun we had breaking them.

so pls add anything you feel wud help out others nomatter how small as we all started at the begining

so here we go i thought id start where we all do with a new rc the break in now this is the method i use and many others do to and have had gr8 sucess with it and has been thought of to give the engine the best possible start in life and help it last the longest.before i start driving it about i do what is called as heat cycleing the engine parts this is done to get rid of any fatigue caused from engine casting and machineing and stabalizes the mixture of materials used in these engines. they are called abc engines as they are made from aliminium,brass and chrome.now as all these metal will expand at different temperatures the cylinder is a chrome plated brass sleeve and the pistom is aluminium with a percentage of silicon added to control the exspansion to match the cylender so that they stay the same size what ever temperature they get so this back up the point of tuneing by smoke trail to show good lubrication as opose to trying to tune for temp as temp is a big a deal as they shudnt heat sieze as long as good fuel is used to provide good lubrication.

now time to start heat cycling

place the car securely on a stand with the wheels free

1. preheat the engine using heat gun/hair dryer to 200'f

2. prime the engine and start it with quick short pulls

3. idle the engine for 5 mins makeing sure it is very rich and keep it above 200'f even if you wrap the head in tin foil and shut it off.

4. let the engine cool completley and allways ensure piston is at bottom dead centre so as to stop it siezeing at the top and is also benificial to the life of the engine.

5. repeat 1,2,3 and 4 till youve used a tank.

Thats heat cycle done now to make it move.

6. fill tank and start her up (no preheating needed now) place the car on the ground and drive in figure 8 patterns as this breaks the whole truck in gears,diff's the lot and do not use more than 1/4 throttle.

7. after 5 mins shut it off and let it cool

8. repeat 6 and 7 till you have used 2 tanks

9. now do 6 and 7 but use up to half throttle for 2 tanks

10. now it is to drive it like normal but still running nice and rich for 5 tanks and ket it cool between each tank at bdc.

now tune your engine up and dont run it to lean allways make sure it is smoking well and you may use a few glow plugs during this time so allways make sure you have a spare hot plug as this makes them easy to start when rich but you will prob need to go cooler when tuning to get the best from your truck.

and most of all take your time and be patient and dont get frustrated if it wont run right this is very important and will help make your engine last longer and make it the quickest it can be.

hope this helps and will add more later

Edited by lincsrc
GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2006 at 11:50pm

Short and sweet one...

LOCTITE:  The best thing on a RC car, especially on engine and tranny mounts that suffer alot of vibration as loctite basically glues the screw into the thread so it won't vibrate lose but when you try and unscrew the screw the bond is broken and the screw comes out, then reapply loctite to the screw and screw up!  No more screws coming out of your tranny and engine mounts and messing up your meshing!

Personally, i use loctite all over my car, so from wheel fixings to engine mounts to suspension, everywhere because it means i don't lose any screws!

The major screw to put loctite on is the pinion bell screw, if this screw comes out when the engine is running, you bugger the gears, the clutch and all the bearings, from experience (in other words !) loctite this screw!

Graham

lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 12:27am

just a few more quick tips

slipper clutch adjusting:

tighten the nut right down and then loosen it have a turn if it slips to much tighten it quater a turn and if it still slips its time to check it and clean it or replace the pad and also as said buy gbduo use loctite to hold it in place.the slipper should not slip to much as it will cause alot of heat and cause damage and it shudnt be to tight or it will strip the spur gear on a hard landing.

good gear mesh:

the best way to get a good gear mesh is to put a bit of paper between the gears when tightening the motor screws and the paper shud not be able to be pulled out without turning the gears to release it and dont forget to use loctite and a small amount of silcone grease is a good idea to.

also shall be adding a quick troubleshooting guide for you to print off and have a list of things to check with certain problems as when your get mad at your r/c its easy to for get the simple things to check

t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 12:24pm

After using the car/truck, remove the glo plug and add a small amount of After-run Oil. replace the glo plug and use the starter to turn the engine over a few times, it's also worth adding a bit down the venturi of the carb. the oil is then spread about the engine suspending any acids from the nitromethane.

If you're not going to run the model for sometime (and expecially if you keep it in a cool place) then empty the fuel tank. nitromethane and methanol evaporates, leaving the castor oil behind which quickly turns to sludge. this is what gives your model starting problems in the future as it lines the fuel pipes, fuel tank, fuel filter, and carbs' needles. if that happens, you'll be involved in a big cleanup!

Choose the right glo plug!

lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 3:05pm
plus nitro fuel attracts moisture very well so another good reaon i will never leave fuel in the tank and allways use after run oil
t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 3:25pm

Glo Plugs:

ask yourself the following questions:

• Determine what the temp is like outside, if it's hot, cold, mild and so on.
  • What nitro content of fuel are you using? (10, 16, 20, 25...%)
  • Is the engine running rich, or lean?

bearing the above in mind will help decide which plug to use.

should it be a fine summers day and you're using 25% fuel (i say 25% as this is quite a common % now). a safe operating temp for the engine is about 100 to 120 degrees C. so with this setup in mind i would fit a COLD glo plug (i'm working on the Model Technics range). when running the car you should notice decent performance. now check the temp of the engine, if it's above 120C then you should richen the high speed needle by about 1/8th turn (unscrew the needle), check the temp again. it's just a case of repeating this and adjustment until you reach the desired temp.

should it be a mild day and again using the same fuel, same operating temp is required. select a COOL or WARM plug and again adjust the HSN until you reach the desired temp of about 120 C.

should it be a cold day, same fuel. select a HOT plug and adjust the HSN so it brings the temp to 120 C. you'll have to lean out the mixture as this also reflects upon the cooling of the engine. less fuel (which is also coolant) going in, the warmer the engine will be!

GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 2:24pm

If its cold outside and your engine won't start you can use a hairdrier or a heat gun to warm the engine.  Point the weapon of choice at the top of the cylinder head/bottom of the heat sink and keep it there for 5 mins or so, less if it is a heat gun, maybe a minute.

Then put your plug on and spin that engine, should fire up straight away!

Graham

Edited by GBDUO
lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 10:22pm

if you are having higher temp running probs then cut a hole in the windscreen or rasie or lower the shell to get more flow to the cooling fins.

Edited by lincsrc
GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 5:50pm

Another short and sweet one, keep your Air filter clean, this is a major cause for most engines starting to run lean, it takes two seconds and is really worth doing.

Take the elements out, flush them through with warm soapy water, let them dry and then apply filter oil (available from your LHS) and reinstall, done!  You will see an improvement in engine performance and acceleration straight away!

Graham

Edited by GBDUO
t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 8:59pm
here's one! avoid being hit by another car / truck, especially like an FG moving at high speeds - for servo's sake!
lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 9:18pm

the standard shock oil that comes as standard is just cheapo oil and will alter damping rate with the temperature of the oil so get silicone shock in there asap.

Edited by lincsrc
matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 9:05pm

hay you all i got a roto starter on me rapt.. the engine has less drag to the  ii===----- and rev high!!

they fit on you no but you have to have a top left one (quick tip)

lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 9:14pm

just a few key points

it wont make any odds about having a pull start or roto start on becoz they both use oneway bearings so wont have any more or less drag on the engine so wont make it rev higher with either but correct plug and tunning will.

also depending on what roto start kit you get you may need to change the one way bearing and also make sure your set the clutch loose if you use a leky drill as you can severley damage the engine if you leky drill cranks its when it is flooded.

there is a few previous post's on this forum about leky starts for the raptor also.

GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Wizard Wizard wrote:

This tip is on the wheel bearings,i have done it on various of my rc cars and so i know.

Most of all the ball bearingson rc cars/trucks has a lyer of grease in side the bearing between the two shields,metal or rubber shielded.

The Havoc has 8 rubber sealed bearings which will make it easier to take of.

Use a sharp hobby knive or very thin ,flat blade and and carefully wedhe the sharp end between the seal and metal side of the bearing housing.Slowly prise the the shield of and put it down somewhere it will not bend or damage(do both sides for best easy cleaning)

Then clean the inside out with any degreaser or nitro fuel and make sure most of all the grease is out.

Now place one shield back(check that seals inside is also cleaned and make sure the rail side faces inward) and use light bearing oil or something like hpi engine maintenance oil and just add 2 drops to the bearing and replace the other seal.Do not add more oil,otherwise it will start leaking out.

Spin the bearing and you will notice how fast and smooth it spins with less friction 'cause the grease ain't dragging any more! Do all 8 if you feel like it.

The truck will roll much easier .......sorted!

Wizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 6:54am
Thanx GBDUO for copy it over to here,
simonfb10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonfb10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 12:54pm
my havoc is running on mt 25% I have a os 8 glow plug, is this the right set up for this car, seems ok but just thought id check!
Wizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 5:33pm
The set up on your car is fine,and the os 8 is a good plug.Yes, i mean the wheel bearings in the hub carrier.
lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:27pm

keep your air filter clean and oil'ed to get the best from your engine.

once you have washed the filter out in warm soapy water and let it dry out them put it in a small clean plastic bag and put a good few drops of air filter oil in the bag and squish the filter around in the bag and it will give a uniform coating of the oil.

the best type of filter to get on your r/c is what known as a motor saver filter as they offer top filtration due to 2 layer of filtering foam and make sure you oil both bits of foam.

Edited by lincsrc
erijones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erijones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 3:12am
Quick question:  I understand that all cars are different, I'm just looking for an idea.  I have the menace and my hsn factory settings is 2.5 turns out.  About how far are you guys turning in your hsn during the tuning process?  1/2 turn, 1 turn, 1/4 turn??? 
keypout View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keypout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 8:05pm
1/8 to //4 of a turn, screw in to lean mixture,out to make mixture richer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic