www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

raptor thread?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 88>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: raptor thread?
    Posted: 09 January 2006 at 1:12am

to all raptor owners

i think it wud be a gud idea to get a raptor thread started for us to share tips and mods for the raptor so we can try and have a reference thread for each off roader ie raptor,havoc,menace and make them the best we can.

if you agree lets get posting mods and thing we have learnt from ownership.

shabda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shabda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 1:16pm

hi i am jean

i have a reptor and at the time being i have a big problem with it. since day one when i bought it it had a problem that when i give full trottle it comes like no fuel coming in i have tried changing my fuel thant i tought maybe its leaking but that was not the case i even had an expert nitro engine tiuner trying to tune it up but still no luck

can any one tell me what else i can try pls

t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 6:08pm

jean, welcome to the forum!

sounds like you need to go back to basics with it. in order to help you we need to know what exactly you (and the other tuner dude) has adjusted on the engine (the fuel needle screws) since you bought it, what fuel you use and its nitro content, which plug you have... if you can tell as much info then we'll know pretty much where you stand. for example, have you finished running the engine in?

a comman error with some model owners is meddling with the carb settings when really they might not have a clue, then it's a case of "oh deary me!" tip - in the meantime, check out a carb adjustment on the exhaust side of the carb, this screw should be set all the way in until it stops, this has a direct effect on the other low end screw opposite which lives within the rubber bellows.if it's out at some level then the truck will not run at all.

anyway. have a think and get back to us

cheers!

t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2006 at 8:57pm
has anyone tried 30% fuel in your raptor yet? i was in my local shop the other day and had to settle for 25% again, just wondering if the engine can handle it well??
shabda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shabda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 10:43am

thanks for the reply

today i am going to take the truck to my dealer so he will try and set it in the thing is that from the first time i started the truck with its factory settings it still had the same problem the engine starts strait away but i will pass you on the info you have asked could you perheps tell me  the settings you have on your truck i mean no of turns on each screw so i have a point from were to start pls

t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 12:09pm

soz mate, should've told you in the last message.

after an annoying start with these carbs i finally set it all back to factory settings. and i've moved 2 of the settings since...

the black low end needle which lives on the exhaust side of the carb should be screwed all the way in - DO NOT TOUCH THIS AFTER THAT, IT WILL NOT RUN AT ALL IF YOU DO... this screw works in conjunction with the main low end screw jet on the other side of the carb, which lives in the rubber bellows where the throttle servo arm attaches to.

main low end needle (lives in the black rubber bellows) - on my truck it is set so the head of the screw is about 2mm recessed inside from the black plastic collar (it's not flush with the black collar). i sometimes tweek this a little depending on the air temp i'm racing in, only about 1/8th maybe a 1/4 of a turn at the most. but if you set it so it's about 1.5mm to 2mm within the black collar you should get the bottom end power range to work.

idle screw - this is the little black screw,it may have a small spring around it or it lives flush to the carb's shell. if you remove the air filter tubing to the carb and close the carb using the servo, you should see a gap of about 1.5mm, if not simply open the carb a little (so the barrel has now slid along inside) and screw in about 1/8th of a turn, then repeat the process by closing the carb and look at the new gap.

high speed needle - (large brass coloured screw sticking upwards from the carb) this is the bugger which will make your model run well or a complete !! mine is set to 5 turns out from closed. this is a little higher than factory settings because i'm using a higher content nitro fuel (25%), so because of this it burns hotter, therefore you have to increase the cooling (which is also the fuel) hence why it's 5 turns out. now if you're running on 20% or less the factory setting (from what i can remember) was 4 turns out. this is the other needle i sometimes adjust depending again on the weather, but most of the time i don't have to.

furthermore, GLO PLUGS (they come in grades: very cold, cold, warm, hot [thereabouts anyway]) - i'm running on 25% fuel so i've fitted a cold plug. this i use during the warmer months and i can get away with using a warm plug during the winter. the colder plugs will help keep the combustion temperature down when it's warmer outside, and vice verca for the warmer plugs. i notice you're from Malta (very nice!) so it's wise if you use a cold plug as you have nice warm weather there, that's if you use 25% fuel or more.

best of luck, and keep us informed!

t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 3:24pm

Mods carried out so far:

• roto start
  • fuel filter and primer unit
  • lower profile tyres
  • body has been cut away where the grill transfer sits on the front of the body. this increases the air flow through the truck bringing the engine temp down a little more, giving longer run times.
  • 6v battery hump pack
  • higher nitro fuel with cold plug
lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:26pm

so it seems as if the raptor thread has begun.

my mods so far

custom wheelie bar

custom centre skid plate

6v batt pack

fuel filter

a few purple bits on it to make it different.

wheels to come

t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 8:51am
any of you guys tried 30% fuel yet? i was looking in the local shop but had to settle for 25%.
lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 12:47pm

iv wonderd about trying some of the mt big bang 30% my lhs has got in but didnt now if the extra %5 nitro wud realy be worth the money as im on 25% now will i realy notice a difference in the truck.it wheelies alot now and is a handfull and the best of times not sure it needs more speed.

YET!

t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 2:31pm

aye, just wondered if anyone has tried it yet and if there was a difference. i know there was from 16 to 25%, a BIG difference.

how tight have you set the slipper clutch? do you make any heft landings with it?

lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 2:35pm
my slipper is about half a turn from locked down and it has had some landings on full power and some climbing from a stand still and holds up ok only time iv cooked it a bit is from alot of wheelies on grass like nearley a tank of just wheelies.
t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 2:39pm
what carb setup do you have if you can do wheelies? the high speed needle on mine is 5 turns out, the low end (bellows side) is about 2mm within the black collar for the servo. it seems to like running rich, usually it's about 4.5 to 5 turns, mind you, it's a large engine so it needs the demand i suppose.

Edited by t2boats
lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 2:48pm

not sure at proper setting yet is im still fine tunning to get best power from it.it wheelie real well and since fitting the wheelie bar witch i fitted whilst running in iv bin able to wheelie it till it tops out on speed as long as iv got room it wheelie's best on grass but i drag raced a couple of t-maxx's and a savage and i wheelied from start to finish and left them in the dust woz a sweet moment and made 2 of them want a raptor and the other went home not happy with bin beaten in a car park drag race.

it is still pretty rich at the moment so i think my tried and tested break in method has proved better that the recomended way yet again as after 3 litre there is enough compression to lift thhe back of the truck off the floor with the pull start and that is when dry of fuel.

t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 3:02pm
i wonder if the low end needs adjusting on mine as probably every other "start" it bogs down slightly?? other than that it's bluddy quick!
lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 5:48pm

mine is always a bit boggy at start but once warm it is spot on and it goes stupidly quick any touch on the throttle sends it flying off iv just bin out jumping mounds and popping wheelies and iv just striped a rear wheel hex out i had to stop playing coz as a front wheel drive it wudnt move much it just spun the front wheels like mad and made the tyres balloon im looking forward to getting the new wheels and smaller tyres for it.

looked at the settings on carb and the hsn is 3.5 to 4 turns out tried it at 4 turns plus and it was just splutering and bogging coz it was so rich and the bellows it bout 1.5mm in and other side is in tight.and im running a warm to hot plug with tonado 25%

Edited by lincsrc
t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 7:08pm
i'll give 4 turns a try then. are u gonna try a slightly colder plug? using that much nitro will make it run a little hotter. that affects its range of revs.
t2boats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2006 at 11:50am

howdy!
if you use 25% nitro fuel, in the winter months (very likely racing outdoors with these trucks - i say this because we sometimes race indoors in a showground aircraft hanger, loadsa room!) really we should use a "Cool" or "Warm" plug. the idea being using a cooler plug with 25% will help keep the temperature of the combustion gases down to a reasonable level. if you run a "Hot" plug with 25% your engine will not run as long when racing, it will overheat much sooner. i tend to flick between the three plugs (cold, cool, warm) judging on the air temp where i'm racing.

should u be using a lower nitro fuel it's wise to use a hotter plug. the lower nitro fuel burns at a lower temp therefore the combustion space will be cooler and not at the ideal running temp (now we're bordering on metal fatigue and the mechanics of materials). to bring up the temp we fit a hotter plug.

i use a simple guide whereby i regularly check the head temp' with a nifty infared probe. as long as the temp is thereabouts 110degrees C, it's fine!

at the mo' i use a WARM plug, using ProSynth 25% fuel as it's feckin freezing in West Wales!! when it gets a little more Mild outside, i'll switch to a COOL, maybe COLD plug, and in the summer i will use a COLD plug. i use "Model Technics" plugs, they have a simple range and last a long time too, i think i've only gone thru 1 plug in the raptor since new.

shabda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shabda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2006 at 5:03pm

hi every one 

I am happy to tell you that the truck is running perfectly now and boy its fast !!!!!!!!!!!

now i have to set the gears cause its seems that the first gear is very short and even the brakes need some setting

i was realy happy with the speed i got out of it

thank all for you presious help

reguards

jean sunny malta

lincsrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2006 at 7:16pm
glad to here your truck is now goin good shada the best thing you can do for your brakes is get a 6v hump batt pack it and as far as i no you cant adjust the gears on it thou.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 88>
  Share Topic