www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MENACE RESISTANCE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MENACE RESISTANCE
    Posted: 22 December 2005 at 2:35pm

MAD DOG HAS BEEN FIGHTING WITH THE CRONO AND THERE SEEMS TO BE NOTHING IN IT (PERFORMANCE WISE) CRONO IS RUNNING WITH A RB 3 PORT AT 20% NITRO. ON CLOSE INSPECTION OF THE DOG I FOUND THAT HE HAS DEVELPOPE A BIT OF RESISTANCE IN HIS FORWARD MOTION. I HAVE TAKEN 1ST 2ND AND THIRD GEARS OFF AND CHECKED THAT THE BRAKE IS NOT STICKING, ALL OK THERE AND THEN PULLED THE CAR FORWARD, ONLY TO FIND IT RESISTS THEN GOES RISISTS THEN GOES, YOU GET WHAT I MEAN? ANY IDEA'? IVE ALSO FOUND SINCE PUTTING NEW 2ND AND THIRD GEARS ON THAT IT CLICKS INTO 2ND VERY EARLY, BUT THIS DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM STATED ABOVE.HELP NEEDED PLEASE

cyberglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 3:32pm

Have you remeshed the gears sinse removing the gears they might be to tight.

i also found after replacing first gear on the xtr it was sticky at one point but was meshed perfect.  Left it as it was and it went away after a few days.  now it spins freely.

Wtf is chrono  and why you typing in capitals???

MAD DOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 3:47pm
CRONO not Chrono. Its a 1:8th rallycross. The gears are meshing correctly. As for capitals I've been told bigger is better. Any other Idea's?
glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 3:56pm
Sorry what crono do you have, RS03? The Menace should kill a RB 3 port any day of the week. Should be roughly the same speed as a WS7-II or C5, if not a little a faster.

The Crono is really lightweight too, I find mine is much lighter then my Mugen MBX-5 prospec.

Anyway your problem is with your linkages. Look about page 3 on your manual, and setup exactly as it shows. You'll find the collet is too far forward on the brake rob. therefore engaging your break in neutral.
MAD DOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 4:25pm
ummmm. The brake seems to be free and ive not touched anything else. I will look at this though. the crono is the expert version. But i cant shake him  off. As posted on site before my Menace has always lacked the expected power Ive changed to a bigger cooling head, increased nitro to 25%, ran a different plug and tuned the engine to where i cant tune it no more without it missing or overheating.
glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 4:48pm
How odd, I'm not saying the brake is the problem though, but the actual linkages. So not a proiblem with the brake, just pulling the brake rod when the servo is on neutral.

It's bound to change with crashes and general engine vibration over time. There is no other explanation apart from that.

Still, with full throttle even if there is drag in neutral it should all be gone on full throttle, meaning you should be killing a Crono Expert with a 3 port!
MAD DOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2005 at 11:19am
Problem solved. The dog has chewed up the drive belt. Back to the early gear changes, question, can i lighten up the second gear shoe by drilling a small hole in so it comes out a bit later. I have asked Shcmacher for some stronger spring but they do not do them. I thought they did? Any idea's?
davi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2005 at 1:58pm
you could use one of the other clutch bells
MAD DOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2005 at 4:49pm

what other clutch bell is that. As i have come from 1:8th rallycross cars the Menace is new to me.

glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2005 at 6:54pm
A rallycross racer into trucks, I thought I was the only one! I have to hide my truck habbits from fellow racers otherwise I get get looked down on!

As Scott said an alternate clutch bell could be a viable soloution. Well there are 3 bells you can use, these are all designed for the Fusion though, High Acceleration, Normal and High speed. However the Menace already have U2491 (High acceleration) on it, so anything futher would just delay it.

Being a rallycross man, I suggest you open your engine up, and note just how basic it is. Fine for it's application but you will see the potential a rallycross .21 would give you.

If you're willing to do a little modification to make it fit, something such as the RB C5BB, or 421B would make it go like you would not believe. I have a hand modified 421B (Max M8) in my MBX5 and it goes like you wouldn't believe, and buggies are big and heavy compared to the menaace. You can get RB's pullstart modified, so a C5 with a pullstart, then slightly modified engine mounts to make it fit would make your Menace nothing short of a missile.

I ran a Picco 26 in my Menace and it scared me it was that fast, so if real power is what you are after, an engine change may be the way to go.

If you think that sounds extreme, the Thunder Tiger 28 that's in the Havoc, i think is has the same crank size as the .21, so no mods would be needed. You could then use the 'normal' or 'high speed' bell from the Fusion. Obviously the .28 should have more torque so should be able to pull this bigger bells to give you more speed.This would be a cheap way for extra power.

However as I said above the TT .21 is nothing compared to a rallycross .21, that's the route to real power in my eyes. But I would say approach with causion, I'm talking seriosly fast speeds here.

Edited by glypo
MAD DOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 10:05am

Wow. I currently have a novorrossi 421b with only one defect, its seen better days. So can you buy a C5 with a pull start, and will the clutch system and bell fit straight onto it. And what about the mods to the engine mounts, what does this involve? You have started something now. 

glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 12:42pm
For the C5 you need to get it pullstart modified. After all they are buggy engines only. Also if you go for the C5 go for the C5BB, I was speaking to Dave Crompton and he was saying it's the power of the original C5 with fuel efficiency on the WS7-II, so a real winner.

[url]http://www.rbmods.co.uk[/ul]

Are the only place in the UK i know that does pullstart mods, not sure if they are still about. There are loads out in the states.

As for the modifications, the normal thunder tiger mounting holes are too close together. With my Picco 26 I got away with keeping the two front holes but had to drill two more holes for the rear.

I have full CAD drawings for mounts for the Picco 26, which will be roughly the same for the C5 if you can find somewhere to machine them for you.

Also you may need to but a little off the top deck as the engines sit higher so flywheel will bit the top deck.

If you search through this forum for a RB Fusion, you'll find nitroheads. Fusion is effectivley same chassis as Menace so his posts may be of use to you as well.

But once again I'll warn you, it will be SERIOUSLY quick.
MAD DOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 2:32pm
Well been on the RB mods website, they do MOd the C5, This has to be done. I did notice that the carb linkage will be on the other side than normal, is it just a case of turning carb round, and does my clutch fit straight onto it including the bell?
glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 11:42pm
The carb should be fine reversed, was fine with my Picco 26.

The clutch will be fine alsom but may require a bit of shimming.
MAD DOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2005 at 10:29am
OK then i will start this as a new year project. I may need CAD details, but I will see how much moding needs doing. I was thinking maybe buy engine blocks for C5 and drill the base of the car, maybe this will be easier than drilling blocks? Maybe Nitro models will have a sale on in the new year and get engine bit cheaper.???????????
glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2005 at 3:57pm
Dave Crompton hasn't mentioned a sale, although I think both they did and so did Russ down Top Options, but they were very very limited number of engines.
MAD DOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 3:53pm
Just been reading what you put earlier, Havoc engine may fit? will this offer ALOTmore power than the stock engine already in the menace. Also you have to think about fuel consumption. This in away will be better due to no of messing around.
cyberglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 5:15pm

itll give a lot more power but less top end as the top rpm speed is slower than the pro21 engine 

pro 21   38000 rpm

pro 28   35000 rpm

i really wanna try a couple or .28s in my xtrs but want to buy a fusion to ......  decisions decisions

Edited by cyberglass
glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 11:46am
The 28 wont be anywhere near the crazy speed of a C5, but might offer more power to get you to the higher gears in time.
MAD DOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAD DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 5:48pm
OK then, thats out the question . One more thing then how about the S7 (not the ws7). Nitro models are giving it away for 168 sheets. This seems to be alot of engine at a good price. I know its 100 pound cheaper than the C5 but will it give the C5 a run for its money. My good lady thinks it will (she's seen the price difference). Its got to be better than the pro21 anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic