www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Motors Batteries and Chargers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

motor run in

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ynze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: motor run in
    Posted: 15 September 2004 at 6:54pm

what is the best way to run in a motor when I change brushes?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 6:56pm
well you can buy motor run in stations but they r expensive so all i do is solder the motor up to da esc and then revv it constantly until the battery is half dead out of the car lol bit didgy but it works
ba57ard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba57ard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 7:07pm
run it on a 2 cell 2.4v pack for a minuite, or a 4 cell 4.8v pack for 30 seconds, that usualy does the trick.
olev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 7:08pm
When you change the brushes, true the comm (or have it done), then run it in for 30 seconds or so at 3-5 volts (3-4 cells is OK). If at least 50% of brush contact surface  has wear marks after the run-in, it's enough. You don't want to overdo it, as it will be just extra wear on the comm. Install in the car and off you go.
If you want to go really crazy, you can cut the comm again after the run-in before you run the motor on the track. No run-in after the second cut. You also don't need any run-in if you don't change the brushes after cutting the comm.
99prokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99prokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2004 at 2:03pm
thrash the tits off it on a big open car park, lol.
matt1049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt1049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 12:27am
that sounds like a great method, lets start a bonfire with some $$ too
ynze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ynze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 12:49pm
thanks to all
gothixscom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gothixscom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2004 at 5:23pm

Hi All,

After coming from the boat scene and enjoying that I have never changed the way I bed motors in and it seems to work perfectly every time.

Connect the motor to 2 cells and run it under water.... YES fully underwater till the cells are almost dead (about a minute) then on 3 then again on 4.

Doing this you have constant lubrication and constant cooling while bedding in, also watch all the crap come out of the motor that would otherwise remain in it. Once done, dry the motor and give the bearings a tiny drop of oil.

For proof of this see my posting in the touring car section labelled "More speed from Mi2"

Till next time keep up the good hints and tips as I find they all help.

olev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2004 at 9:17am
Dude, there's something seriously wrong with your cells, if you can get them to drain within one minute
Underwater run-in is an old trick that's very rarely used these days from what I know... people used to do that for stockers mostly. There's a lot more load on the motor this way, but at the same time it sparks less. I'd think twice before running a ball beared motor under water, it is not very good for the bearings, even if you oil them afterwards.
Anyway, no matter how you do the run-in, there's NO point whatsoever continuing after the brush faces are fully worn in. 50-75% is actually enough. Any more will be just pointless wear and tear on the comm and brushes.
99prokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99prokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2004 at 10:19am

u think his cells are bad. i have had sum before that dumped at the end of the straight on the first lap and they were "supposedly" fully charged as well.

u really should get more than 1 minute out of them thought.

gothixscom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gothixscom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2004 at 9:03pm

Hi Olev, and 99porkid,

The cells I use for bedding are only 1100mah cells nicads.... nothing special.

I have never yet had any problems beding in a motor this way, yet seen so many motor go pop when other people bed the motors in different ways. What they are doing wrong I do not know, all I know is my motors last years.

Keep up the good advise all I am find all of it valuable.

Till Next time.

99prokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99prokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2004 at 9:31pm
so let me get this right u just put the motor in water untill the cells go flat and that runs the motor in for u? am i understanding this correctly or is there more to it that this? my method of thrashing it round a car park sounds much easier though, lol.
col7104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote col7104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2004 at 10:17pm
The idea of running a motor in is to gently seat the brushes in and get everything nice and ready for thrashing. You dont run a motor in by thrashing it around anywhere.
Ashdown604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashdown604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 4:08pm
IF you put the endbell unde water, wouldn't it short out?
col7104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote col7104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 5:24pm
No, don't ask me why but im sure Simon or Longrat would explain, DC power is very safe underwater. They explained it on scrapheap chalenge wen they were building submarines
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 5:26pm
im a bit puzzled about how direct current is safe underwater
Ashdown604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashdown604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 5:48pm

Come to think of it, DC (direct current) constantly flows in one direction only (or something along the lines of that ).  AC (alternating current) constantly reverses direction, so that would be dangerous  underwater.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic