www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > 1/8th RallyCross
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

air filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckingham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air filter
    Posted: 30 September 2005 at 5:34pm
is their actually any performance gain in getting a diffrent air filter
GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 8:14pm

Some people say their is slight performance gain the K&N filter (me for example) but only if you run on tarmac and short grass. 

But if you get the 2 stage air filter (which is really popular but my mind has gone blank and can't remember the name) you will get a huge performance boost in the actual cleaning of the air and your engine should not wear as much from dirty air, but the actual air flow going into the engine may suffer meaning the same performance or less (only miniscle amount).

Graham

davi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 8:25pm
motorsaver 3 stage filters
filter out more crud and have a biggersurface area for air to get sucked in with, id say it may go faster but then we know about superchargers and why they dont work

Edited by davi
sirus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 2:06am

it wont go faster, the whole point to an airfilter is to filter air, not boost your engine, the k&n filters were designed for larger motors that the scale that RC use so it lets small particals through, k&n have commented and said that it wasnt designed for RC, its really not good for your engine, the motosaver 3stage, and the 2 stage work wonders, i have the 2  stage, i drive in to gritty conditions for the 3 stage, thats for on a track, not parking lot or off road.

the 2 stage motosaver is the best on the market.

GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 2:50pm

Not technically true...if you talk about large engines (i.e. 1:1 car engines) the air filter makes a HUGE difference to the performance of an engine.  For example, if you added a K&N 57i Induction kit to a Pug306 you would probs get about 5bhp more out of the engine (about 7% power increase!) and faster acceleration and response as the engine is fed better with air. 

Air filter design is crucial to the performance of any engine, ideally you don't want actually one, but you have to have something so that the engine lasts (in F1, the air filters provided so little resistance to the air, that dirt and grime did get through, which is why the engines had to be rebuilt, but the gains in performance because of the crap air filters meant it was worth it). 

As long as you use the K&N on road and short grass, it won't damage your engine any more than the stock would (my XTr engine has been using the K&N and is now nearly 100 hours old and still running strong!), DO NOT take it to maxbashing or places where there is alot of sand/dust and mud, the K&N was not designed for this. 

Motorsaver, however, for general use, the motorsaver is the best on the market.  If you want bling and a name, and a miniscule improvement in performance and acceleration, then the K&N is ok...if you only use yor car in short grass and/or tarmac.

Graham

GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 2:52pm

So in essence, No, there is no performance gain in getting a new air filter.

Graham

sirus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:52pm
no there is a change, but its for the bad.
hyperballz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyperballz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 8:08pm
just use your old gals tights as a filter, giv sum good suction.
swift26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swift26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2005 at 3:24pm
why, is that what you do hyperballz?
glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2005 at 3:56pm
IMO the best air filters around are probably the RB ones but really they are best suited to 1/8th buggies.

Motorsaver have a bigger range (the produce ones for the savage etc) so I tend to reccomend them.

However considering this section it's in, if you're after a a decent air filter go for the RB or similar.
ramir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 2:10am
i know this is an old thread but i just wonder
about the Air Filter thing. Actually we can gain good
performance if we have really a good

Air Filter
. that's what i guess so. just thinking of
it.

Edited by ramir
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic