www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust spitting out fuel?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k3nny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust spitting out fuel?
    Posted: 11 September 2005 at 12:49pm

I went down to a local track nearby here that caters mostly for electrics and really, playing the fusion there wouldnt be much fun because its such a narrow track.

One thing i noticed though is that everytime i give it gas like at the beginning of the straight or around some corners to make a drift, there is a dark stain of fuel on the road.

When i let the car idle and gas it hard off the line also would bring me some gas stains on the ground.

Lifting the car off the ground and gassing it i can actually see fuel spurting out of the exhaust.

And my shell's whole left side and rear rim is coated in oil and sludge.

Was just wondering why?
I thought maybe it was running rich but my smart temp sensor with the sensor on the lowest round in the heatsink shows 180 - 190 deg celcius.

That would be abit lean as mentioned above by sirus but maybe it could also be that i put the sensor way too low on the heatsink and people using the handheld temp meters read it from above and it would show cooler than the absolute bottom of the heatsink?

Am confused though.

HAhaha

thanks for the help in advance once again.

Regards,

Kenny

pani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 5:24pm

kenny, thats pretty normal for the exhaust to spit out raw fuel especially once the car has been started nd that it is cold and also if it is left idling a long time because fuel builds up that has been unburnt and is thrown out of the exhaust, thats the reason of bogging up and it spits out raw fuel that hasnt burnt. its very normal. every car should do it. nothing to be worried about, a healthy engine there

BossCat_Works View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BossCat_Works Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 5:56pm
agree with pani, nothing wrong with that, if you don`t see smoke from the exhaust thats when i`d be worried as you could seize the engine,
k3nny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k3nny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 1:28am

Thanks alot pani and BossCat_Works for the responses.

Very interesting. I was under the impression that a good tune would lead to all the fuel being burning up and therefore none out of the exhaust.

What about my Smart Temp Sensor reading 180deg celcius to 190deg celcius?

Someone mentioned this might be abit lean, and yet someone mentioned that its throwing such high temperatures cause i put the sensor loop in the lowest possible round in the heatsink. Right before the actual engine itself and if you were to use a temperature sensor it wouldnt show such high numbers?

Any truth to that?

Thanks alot once again..

Regards,
Kenny

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 3:17am

k3nny sounds to me the sensor's in the right spot thats where it says to put in the instructions ,as long as the red bit of the sensor is opposite the exhaust ,not above it . Im using the same thing in my fusion and im aroud 120 c to 130 driving normal and goes up to 150 c 160c  if im doing circle work!  what sort of shell are you running ? have you tried different shells ?

smiley

k3nny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k3nny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 3:40am

Im using a HPI 200mm Mercedes Benz S-Class shell but i havent cut holes in the front windshield or the rear for airflow through but i when i recorded those temperatures, i was running without the shell.

My red bit is 90 degrees from the exhaust so if the engine block is a square, the red bit is on the left side.

If i put it opposite, should the temperatures drop? Cause if it was opposite, then the sensor wires toward the smart temp meter would stick out on top of the exhaust..

Thanks alot once again

Regards,

Kenny

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 4:51am

yep that how mine is the wires come off the head above the exhaust, well slighty off but the exhaust side

the red bit is on the head on the carby side if that makes any sence

slide him around a little more than 90 and it should drop, mines nearly at 180 on the head  it might just be a bit close to the exhaust

instruction say NOTE for best results , make sure the probe loop is as close to the bottom of the head as possible and the red portion is 90 to 180 degrees away from the exhaust port.

hope this helps

smiley

Edited by smileysmiff
sirus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 11:01am
mine is exactly 90 degrees from the exhaust pointing towards the back of the car, and if i use alot of gas its about 170 -180 ish.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 2:42pm

thanks sirus  there ya go  thats up there as well so thats two of them up around the same sort of temp range at 90deg so I wouldnt be to worried about it as I'm sure sirus wouldnt use his car if it was doing it harm ,and i'd say if I moved mine there it would make mine go up that bit

smiley

k3nny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k3nny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 5:12pm

Thanks alot for the info and the quick replies guys!

Really appreciate it. So in that case, i would think that my tuning is spot on!

Do i need to richen the high speed needle up a wee bit when i change up from 15% - 20% nitro?

I've been going at it 5% at a time. I started at 5%. Went thru 1 bottle then 10% and now 15%.

Soon 20% and i might even go to 25% but if i do, thats as far as i will go though i doubt it.

Should i richen it up with the increase in nitro content?

pani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 5:47pm
whenever u up the niotro percentage, sometimes there is no need to change the settings but u could go a touch richer. nothing major though. only when its a complete change of fuel it is needed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic