www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > 1/8th RallyCross
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swift 2 engine upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swift 2 engine upgrades
    Posted: 03 May 2005 at 12:39pm

Hi, i have recently bought a swift 2 rtr buggy. The buggy is great for the money but is a little slow compared with a few of my mates hyper 7 buggys. Just wondering what engine is a good candidate for an upgrade, baring in mind i only want to spend 120 max. Also will a pico .26 fit in my buggy??

Other comments on swift 2: my steering is also quite inresposive? Should i upgrade to a high torque servo??

Thanks

dave g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 12:48pm

yes a high torque servo will help,also a 5 cell rechargeable pack will make a big difference too,make sure the servo saver is tight enough too.

i found the engine to be pretty good to be honest,it took about half a gallon before it came to life,not as quick as say a full blown engine but not bad.

yes i think a 26 should fit but be aware that for racing at clubs its not legal in a 1/8th buggy.

i just seen some sh engines(same as kit but better specced) go for for 45 on ebay new :(

you can get a new 8 port hyper engine from hong kong for about 75 shipped.

have a look on ebay,i would only buy new ones tho.

niggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 7:38pm

If you are not too bothered about being "legal" (.21 only) then the SH .28 engine is generating a lot of interest.

Forget what opinions you might have formed about SH engines based on the 3-port that comes with the Swift, the .28 is a totally different beast.

130 in the UK, $130 in the US.

Swifty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 10:11am

Hmm, The hyper 8 port engine seems like a good choice for 75! Will it give me a lot more speed or just higher torgue and acceleration? Where can i order the hyper 8 port from?? should i use e bay?

Another question: is there a 2 gear upgrade avaviable for the swift 2?

Thanks 4 replies guys.

dave g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 10:44am

look on ebay for engines,as long as you buy new their should not be a problem,as niggs says,the new sh engines are very very good.

the 8 ports on ebay are from hong kong.

Swifty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 10:18pm

Is it safe to buy from Hong Kong?? Which will give more speed the sh.28 or .21 8 port?? Is it possible to buy a 2 gear conversion for the swift 2??

Thaks 4 replies folks.

niggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 10:26pm

The Hyper 21 8-port characteristics are top-end power. To get the best from this engine, choose a matching tuned pipe, clutch bell pinion and set your clutch engagement point accordingly.

I would recommend an 086 tuned pipe, a 13T or 14T clutch bell pinion and some suitably strong clutch springs.

I'm currently breaking in a Hyper 21 8-port. I'm using an OFNA 086 tuned pipe set and a 14T vented clutch bell. I've got a set of OFNA Savage clutch shoes and springs in there at the moment but the clutch is engaging at idle speeds. The stock Swift springs are noticeably thicker so I'll be putting them back in, but if the the clutch engages before the Hyper gets into the power band I might have to use some Mugen 1.1mm springs.

I got the 086 tuned pipe set for US$40 and the vented clutch bell for US$10 from the USA. I got my Hyper 21 for US$120 but I wouldn't recommend the US vendor who supplied this. The ones on offer from RCMart on ebay for 75 shipped are a very fair price, I would spend the extra 6 and go for the Pro version with the bigger (14mm) crank journal.

The Hyper 21 is a b*tch to break in, and I've got the blisters to prove it! They are very tight ex-factory and I had to resort to using a hair dryer to heat up the crank case and plenty of after run oil to get the thing to spin over on the pull start. The factory needle settings are way too rich for break-in and after 3 attempts over 2 days I finally got the thing running and up to temperature. After heat cycling it restarted on the the first pull every time.

AFAIK, there is no 2-speed available for the Swift, but for 1/8 buggy racing you don't really need one.

Swifty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 12:22pm

Will the hyper 21 8 port work with the pipe and manifold from my force 21?? i will eventually upgrade when i can afford to but not yet. will i need new flywheel clutchbell etc for the hyper 8 port or will the standard ones which come with the swift 2 fit??

Thanks.

Also can you recommend a good high torque servo? What are the hi tec ones like?

dave g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 12:36pm
the kit flywheel is ok,and yes the pipe and manifold should be fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic