www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Off Road
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Problems, Cat 3000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bionicmonkey25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Problems, Cat 3000
    Posted: 10 August 2004 at 3:59am
Hello everybody.  I race in the Northeastern US, on an outdoor track.  I continually have issues with small pebbles getting into the rear diff pulley and mashing it all up.  Usually the damage is not too bad, but the problem magnifies itself with more and more runtime.  The belt skips under acceleration, the belt begins to fray at some points, and I've had the belt snap on one occasion.  I love this car, and I do not want to have to sell it.

Is there an alloy rear pulley I can purchase?  If not, what benefits does the Speedflex Belt provide?  Will the fraying stop if I install one and this problem happens again?

As a precaution, does anyone think that a lexan shield formed over the entire rear belt would provide ample protection?  Has anyone either performed this modification of seen it otherwise? 

Thanks for your help!

cruise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 12:42pm
You can`t fully prevent small pebbles go into transmission.
The best way is to mount a "H" shaped lexan shield on the rear gearbox. I can`t recommend to cover the whole belt with lexan because the heat of the packs will melt it down.
Another thing you can do is to grind some material under your diff off so the pebbles can fully go round without being squeezed into the pulley.
The speedflex belt is a little bit thinner so its more likley to stretch an to skip.
Ther are no alloy diff pulleys so you can only change the pulleys and the belt when they are worn.

Hope it helps Cruise.
bionicmonkey25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bionicmonkey25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 11:07pm
Thanks for the advice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic