www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Electric Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mission - Oil/Grease

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mission - Oil/Grease
    Posted: 08 August 2004 at 11:41pm
Just got my Mission Carbon and I love it to bits - and it hasnt even turned a wheel yet.

The instructions mention that they'll say when and where to use any oil/grease, but only do so in the Diff-maintainance section.

So - when and where should I oil/grease up the model itself, surely some on the pinion, and 4 CVs from the diffs. I presume NOT on the belt section however.

I'm also having trouble getting the pinion to mesh well. I have a Trinity Monster (27t) motor in there, seemingly well seated, but it's hellishly clunky as I turn the wheels around - is this just a symptom of a decent motor ( last RC car I had was 'powered' by a 540 :D )

There's some great guides etc out there on the web, but nothing touching this lube issue! 

Cheers

Doug

Simon Kelsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Kelsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 12:13am

Doug,

You shouldn't need any oil on the pinion/spur.

The only places you will need to grease are the diffs, as outlined in the manual, and a drop of light oil in each of the bearings is usually a good idea as well.

Other than that, off the top of my head I can't think of any other places that need it.

As for the motor, if what you describe is what I think you are describing (quite stiff to turn, followed by a lot of rotation etc?) then yes, this is perfectly normal.

The best way to check the meshing, apart from visually, is to rock the spur gear with your finger -- you should feel just a little play, but it shouldn't be slipping.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 12:27am

dont 4 get a 27 turn stock is gonna have a hell of a lot of torque so is gonna b harder to turn compared to say a 19 turn mod

djellison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Simon Kelsey Simon Kelsey wrote:

Doug,

You shouldn't need any oil on the pinion/spur.

The only places you will need to grease are the diffs, as outlined in the manual, and a drop of light oil in each of the bearings is usually a good idea as well.

Other than that, off the top of my head I can't think of any other places that need it.

As for the motor, if what you describe is what I think you are describing (quite stiff to turn, followed by a lot of rotation etc?) then yes, this is perfectly normal.

The best way to check the meshing, apart from visually, is to rock the spur gear with your finger -- you should feel just a little play, but it shouldn't be slipping.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Yup - that force you describe on the motor is spot on - it almost 'clicks' its way around in lumps - and between 'lumps' - turning a single wheel will spin it thru the diff and not trouble the motor :)

I'm suprised, but now happily informed about the lube issue - I'm supried. My last kit was a Kyosho Nitro GP10 some years back, and a Tamiya Bearhawk before that - and they were grease everywhere. Now I think of it - mainly in the diffs which, of course, had to be built, but still a lot of it around.

Thanks for the heads up - much appreciated.

Doug
Mission_carbon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mission_carbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 1:32pm

Doug Ive just got a mission carbon  plus ive put in a trinity monster pro in it its so fast with the right gearing what you have to do is put schmacher lube in the motor both ends (only a drop) you will love your car because i know i did

Im racing it on sunday fot the first time i hope i do it well.  

djellison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2004 at 2:22pm
Well - I dont think I'll be racing mine THIS wednesday (Charnwood Racing Club in Leicester) - but possibly the wednesday after that :)  got a few bits and pieces still to come - and I think i should go prepared with a couple of crystals ( uk suppliers of Futaba 40 meg Crystal sets anyone? )

I cant WAIT to go though :)

Doug

Edited by djellison
Anand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 10:15pm

I'm going to be racing an Mi2 at Charnwood probably next week. What size pinion are you using Doug? Also got a Trinity Stock. Let me know if you find any Futaba 40MHz Crystals. Sounds like we have a surprisingly similar setup! i Look forward to racing!

Anand

djellison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Anand Anand wrote:

I'm going to be racing an Mi2 at Charnwood probably next week. What size pinion are you using Doug? Also got a Trinity Stock. Let me know if you find any Futaba 40MHz Crystals. Sounds like we have a surprisingly similar setup! i Look forward to racing!

Anand

In that case - I'll DEF. go next week :) At the moment - i put the 20 tooth pulley in the chassis, with a 24 tooth pinion giving me something like 6.68:1

It's not turned a wheel yet - so I have no idea how that'll do at the club. They have a fairly long main straight though - I visited a couple of weeks back - a great bunch of people (I'd say guys, but plenty of girls as well)  and a great setup all together :D  Where are you based? Im in Aylestone.

Doug
Anand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 6:06pm
got a 24 tooth pinion with a 23 and 25 spare with the 20 tooth pulley. i'll have to see how it goes. Hopefully see you next week. Tested out the car on my wood floor. Ran like the Yoke Drift car. No grip at all on polished wood. Managed some good donuts thought! Hopefully it'll be a lot better on carpet!?!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic