www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Off Road
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Bore Spring Rates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote click Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Bore Spring Rates
    Posted: 29 November 2012 at 9:59am
Hi,

A club member was helping me with the setup of the SV and he had some AE & Durango big bore springs.

When we compared the overall resistance of a 4 lb/in Durango spring to a medium (front) 4lb/in Schumacher, the Schue spring seemed VERY soft compared to the Durango, a lot less resistance than the Durango spring?

I would have thought that a lb/in rating should be almost identical across different spring types? 

The highest Schue front rated spring I had was a 4 lb/in but on heavy breaking at the end of a long straight the front was diving so much the inside rear wheel was lifting.
When I installed a Durango 4lb/in front spring it transformed the car, I could dive into the corner at the end of the straight and the SV was stable without the inside rear wheel lifting.

Overall I feel the Schue springs are soft + the difference between a 3.5lb/in & a 4.5lb/in Schue spring is barely noticeable whereas the Durango difference is very noticeable.

Do I have defective springsCry or is this 'normal' for Schue big bore medium (front) springs?

Thanks in advance for any replies Very Happy
Cockerill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cockerill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 11:00am

Our springs are QC’d to ensure that they are the correct rates. 2 Springs of the same rate, but different construction (Length, Wire, Coils) can have a very different feel, especially in your hands. Springs can also lose some of their effectiveness over time.

If you require a stiffer spring we do offer a 4.5 and 5.0 front spring for our Big Bore range. If you still think your spring could be defective please email me on tom ‘at’ racing-cars.com and we’ll get to the bottom of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic