www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please ref Menace wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please ref Menace wheels
    Posted: 12 November 2012 at 10:28pm
Hi everyone. For the last 2-3 days, I've been searching the net for some trued and glued wheels for my Menace, and I am struggling to find any.Confused Some sites tell you the hex size, and some don't.and the whole experience has been pretty frustratingUnhappy  I'm after some decent on road tyres and off road too, but I am crap at gluing my own, so need them to be mounted already. Can anyone point me in the right direction please, or at least tell me what will fit etcSmile Thanks for reading.

Edited by Moonwolf - 12 November 2012 at 10:30pm
Anthoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 5:08pm
The Menace hex is 14mm.

Moonwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:02pm
Thanks for that. I have seen the schumacher tyres and wheels and I was looking for something different etc which is why I was getting frustrated as I couldn't find any. So if anyone else knows about some different ones that will fit I would be grateful.
Moonwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 8:53pm
Anyone?????  I can't believe nobody has a Menace, and tried different thingsConfused

Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 11:54pm
Any 2.2 inch tyre should fit.  Back in the Menace's heyday I believe some people used Jato tyres on Menace rims to good effect.  Any stadium truck of that size should work, but with the shift towards short course trucks over stadium trucks your choice might be a bit more limited these days.  Google is your friend...
Moonwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2012 at 9:59am
Cheers Paul Big smile  That gives me something to do today. I've also heard of another option, which is to fit a longer axle Confused  I don't quite understand the reason behind that apart from even more stability. 

Has anyone tried this with any success ?
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2012 at 10:33pm
Well, a wider track might give you more stability, but if you do it on the front too you will have to hope that you can adjust your ackerman angle on your front hubs to maintain the same turning capability (if you're not sure what that is, Google it!).  You'll also have to change your suspension settings and extend the shocks outwards on the wishbones, or run heavier oils and springs to cope with the extra leverage if you can't change the mounting positions.  Not only that, if you only extend the axles and not the wishbones too, you'll be putting more strain on the hub bearings because of the increased leverage on the hubs.  If you want a bit more stability, toe in the front wheels slightly (if they aren't already) and sag the suspension a bit to lower the centre of gravity.
I've only ever heard of people widening the track on monster trucks, not stadium trucks to be honest...
Moonwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 10:32am
Blimey Paul that sounds like hard workShocked  It wouldn't really pay off to be honest, as my Menace seems really stable as it is. I've got her set up just right, and I really struggle to tip her over.
 I have to say, it's a really good truck, and just wish Schumacher had more choice in the wheels and tyres department.

Guess I'll have to start practicing the gluing and beading LOL  Must admit I'm really crap at that, and it doesn't help having a parrot, as I have to do anything like that out in the garden shed as it's poisonous to him. 
MaxD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 6:48pm
You can buy the Fusion 12mm hexes and fit them - I have a set sculling around somewhere.

I have many sets of Menace wheels though with different tyre compounds.

As for tyres, Pro-line are very good. Although not listed here, I have a pair of rather bald Speed Hawg tyres:
http://prolineracing.com/1-10-truck-tires

Don't forget you'll need to purchase some foams too:
http://prolineracing.com/foam/2.2-pre-glued-2-stage-truck-inserts

I bought mine from Fleabay.

Edited by MaxD - 11 December 2012 at 6:56pm
Moonwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 9:11pm
Thanks Max. That's probably the best move for me. I know that 2.2 is what's fitted on the menace, but is it possible to go up to 2.8? Or will that restrict the steering?
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2012 at 12:19am
There shouldn't be a problem running 2.8's on it.  Yes, your steering might be affected a bit, the only other thing is that you will be over-gearing it a bit with the increase in tyre diameter, so you might want to try to get hold of a high-acceleration pinion (less teeth) to counteract this.
Moonwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2012 at 9:57am
Cheers Paul. I think 2.8 may be overcooking things a bit, but it'll look good thoughShocked  Personally, I'd rather stick to the 2.2 as I'm more interested in performance than looksApprove  This truck is so much fun, and it's unbelievably quick. It's a pity that Schumacher haven't followed on with some more nitro models. I would love to see them produce a nitro buggy in the 1/8. Think it would be awsome.Smile
livcyxing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livcyxing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2013 at 12:07pm
Cheers Paul. I think 2.8 may be overcooking things a bit
  Share Topic