www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rotostart problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marty31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rotostart problems
    Posted: 16 October 2012 at 6:09pm

hi guys, I went out to play on my manic today and done what I normally do to start it, bolts glow plugs then prime etc. then I went to start it using my rotostart and it was going etc. after refuelling and wanting to start again with the rotostart and it just wouldn’t work. I know the rotostart battery was fine as charged it last night. So opened the rotostart up and got this burnt smell from the motor in it. So I have burnt the motor out! My question is that I am just trying to buy a new motor for it but can’t find one online. Anyone knows of where to get one or otherwise a cheapish rotostart hand unit without battery or rod even to replace mine. (Note: I have a manic 36 twin.)

Martin

Anthoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 5:32pm
Is it possible to take the motor apart, might be possible to fix it....but having said that if "the magic smoke" came out then it is usually kerplunked.
How big is the motor and is it possible to fit a nearly correct size motor in its place?
Alternatively you could buy a cheap drill...it will have other uses too.
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 11:34pm
Anthoop is right; you may just be able to install a new motor as a repair.  http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/1143/
A cordless drill may not be able to spin quickly enough to start the engine; I know mine can't.  If you DO find a drill that can rev high enough, you'll just have to remember to run it in reverse.
To prevent burning out the motor again, you should loosen the glow plugs slightly when starting; it will lessen the compression which lessens the load on the motor.  Once you are idling you can tighten the glow plugs again.
marty31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marty31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 6:07pm
hay. i have just got a new roto start for £20. the cordless drill i had wasnt able to start it so thats why i got a new one. more expense but its a hobby so not much i can do. i will try lossening the glow plugs as it can take a few trys to get it started after sitting for a few weeks. thanks for all your help. (on a side note if anyone needs a rod for the roto start i now have 4 so will sell a couple.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic