www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gearing/clutch - help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gearing/clutch - help
    Posted: 25 July 2012 at 7:29pm
Car - Menace 21 4x4

I've had this issue for a while and i gotta be doing something wrong now. 

It seems to me the clutch is slipping..it wont engage a gear, it will just rev. Removed the gears and clutch, new 180 degree clutch shoes were in and within hours the same thing happened. 

I'm thinking the gears are not aligned appropriately? Is there a detailed 'how to' about this? Cos i've seen one but, it mentions 'spur gear' and 'clutch bell' (the smaller black ones to the right of the gears?) - i get confused what those parts are, as everywhere i look, there called different things. 

I'm ordering a new set of gears, 180 degree clutch shoes and this time i wanna get this right or am i ordering the wrong this? Cos i've also seen a way clutch set (G514) and its got me confused. I miss driving this thing!   

Thanks for any help.
Anthoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2012 at 9:57am

The set of 3 larger plastic gears are the spur gears. The 3 metal gears on the engine are the pinion gears. The pinion gears are mounted on the clutch bell, often people will refer to the pinion gears and clutch bell as a single unit.

When you rev the engine do all the spur gears turn? If the answer is yes then the clutch is not the problem.

To align the engine for correct gear mesh- cut 2 strips of paper 5mm wide and 50mm or so long, loosen engine mounting bolts on underside of chassis (4 of-2.5mm hex in sliding recess) and slide engine toward front of car,  put one strip of paper between the largest spur and smallest pinion the other strip between the smallest spur largest pinion, slide the engine towards the rear of the car so that the paper strips are now trapped between the gear sets, ensure both strips are being held equally then gently tighten the engine mounting........check that the paper is still being held before fully tightening the engine mounting...then check again.

Part number- G514 is the one way bearing for the engine E start.

vint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2012 at 7:17pm
Thank u. finally sorted it now and we'll be trying it all out on tuesday! Fingers crossed!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic