www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - It's been 4yrs... time for a Menace 28 rebuild!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's been 4yrs... time for a Menace 28 rebuild!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's been 4yrs... time for a Menace 28 rebuild!
    Posted: 15 March 2012 at 9:28am
I imagine the engine is probably full of gunk.  Last the .28 was rebuilt, I asked a friend to do it in exchange for some stuff he owed me.

Now it's my turn - what does it entail and does someone have a guide?

Edited by MaxD - 15 March 2012 at 9:29am
MaxD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 6:46pm
No replies at all?  :(
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2012 at 5:41pm
Sorry dude; this part of the forum is deader and deader these days because of Schumachers' complete lack of interest in all things nitro.  I hardly ever come here now because of the tumbleweed.
It shouldn't be too hard bud; I think it's just a case of engine off the mounts, head off the block, sleeve out of the block, piston out of the block, backplate off, conrod out of the block, bearings out of the block.  Good blast with nitro cleaner on everything to get rid of the residue, wipe dry with kitchen roll, test the bearings to mare sure they are still spinning freely.  If they aren't and you need to get new ones, you'll probably need to heat up the block to install them; last time I serviced mine and changed the bearings the larger one of the two was an absolute pig to get back in until I heated the block to expand it.  New fuel lines will probably help, as will a blast of nitro cleaner in the fuel tank, especially at the clunk filter.  Reassemble (make sure the conrod spins freely though first), fuel up with new nitro, and away you go.  Shouldn't be any more difficult than that.  Wink
MaxD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 8:40am
Cheers.

The forums were pretty dead 3yrs ago when Schumacher did have a slight interest in what they sold.  I guess the other question should really be... how hard is it to convert to electric and is it really possible with the Menace?  :)
LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 6:04pm
It would be pretty easy to convert I would think.  To keep the spirit of the truck it would need a "1/8" size electric power system to replace the 1/8 size engine.  So I would look to a 4 cell set up with a decent 1/8 buggy motor.  Something with a higher than average KV as the size and weight of the truck is so low and you would want high top speed.
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:40pm

I agree with LongRat; I think it would be very easy. I had a think about this a while ago and with Schumacher's use of common parts on the Fusion range and the Menace range (I'm thinking specifically about the Menace GTRe), I think the conversion will be easy, providing of course that you can find the GTRe parts like the motor mount and pinion. Whether or not the motor mount is compatible with a brushless system is another question though; I might be wrong here but I think the GTRe came standard with a 540 brushed can, not a brushless system. If it's not compatible, I doubt that it would be too hard to get an off-the-peg mount, drill and countersink the chassis to get it in the right position, and your LiPo's should fit easily in the space vacated by the fuel tank. The only other thing would then to get the ESC mounted somewhere; I don't think the battery box would be suitable unless you mount it to the lid because they normally require a good amount of airflow for cooling, unless you ditch the battery box completely and mount your ESC and receiver directly to the chassis (you'd need to waterproof them obviously, or get ready-waterproof systems), and I don't think you would be able to lose the throttle servo due to the braking system, unless you found some way to eliminate the freewheel system and use motor-braking instead. Your best bet is probably to have a look at the schematic of the GTRe (if it's on the main website for download) to see how Schumacher themselves did the layout.

Let me know how you get on though if you do go ahead; I'm interested in doing the conversion myself provided my LiPo-luck changes (I've fried three 4-cell Lipo's on my hovercraft; each on their first use and p1ssing £50+ up the wall each time has rapidly gotten boring... WinkLOL).

Edited by Paul M - 05 April 2012 at 9:43pm
LongRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2012 at 11:27am

Anyone who wants to do this conversion will definitely want a custom motor mount and ditch the disc braking completely.  You would want to use 1/8 buggy gearing and pinions for sure, if nothing else because the pinion would be bored the correct size for the motor shaft.  Motor braking is the only way to fly, need to lose that throttle servo to get the space too.  Anyone interested can contact me and I would be able to assist producing CNC machined parts to make a factory-like conversion if that was required.

I'd use these batts too - 2 packs in series for 4S.  I use these in my 2S 1/10 cars and in planes doubled to 4S.  They are a very difficult pack to beat on outright performance, even if you ignore the very low cost.  Ignore the 20C rating - the reality is these cells have a lower internal resistance than most other cells, many of which claim 50C+.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/loong-tipple-4000-2s1p-lipo-battery-p-404445.html

franky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 7:40pm
like the idea but i have a real standard gtre from schumacher.did run it last weekend but did us the wrong combo
must use lower kv and more lipo 6s
see movie
grt frank
MaxD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 6:52pm
Due to all the outlays on the real life car, the Menace 28 has taken a back seat for almost 4-5yrs...  At some point I'll get it out of its box and consider rebuilding it as is.  Can't see me moving to electric just yet.

And I like the noise it makes!  It's different from just about everything else!
Anthoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by MaxD MaxD wrote:

....electric...
Ooooh blasphemy. Tongue
MaxD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 7:24pm
I never said I would move to it.  Any who, another year on and it's still in it's box.  I think I'll be moving house before it comes out of it's box!  At least I've now found all the spares.  ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic