www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

e-start v pull-start ..help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e-start v pull-start ..help
    Posted: 05 March 2005 at 8:24pm

i have a Menace gtr and i have destroyed the e-start screw twice in the last month.....  (because of the exaust position)....,,, So, i decided to change to pull-start !!! does anyone knows what pull start would be compatible for menace gtr  engine???  or.... any other tips that would help me solve the e-start problem.?

thanks

matt1049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt1049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 8:49pm

i think there might be full pull start assemblies under the big 6 nitro or xtr3e still for spare parts

also, the team associated MGT uses the same engine, so a pull start for that would also fit

blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 1:10am

Yep they do make a pull start for the TTr.21 tiesto heres a picture....

Also are you using graphite powder in the hex head before you start the car if the car is new the allen head will get a heavier work out because the motor is new, Changing to a pull start with a new motor might render broken cords in the pull start assembelly, Try sum grap... powder in the estart before you change in might help you out i use the powder and havent chewed a hex bolt since......

have a look at this link for help on replacing the hex head bolt

http://www.racing-cars.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1017&am p;am p;am p;PN=1&TPN=4

Hope it helps you out the pull start assem.... set me back around $75.00 Australian so you can work it out from there

PNOO5 is the part # and heres the link to thunder tiger them selves..

http://61.221.10.43/english/product.htm

Hope it helped.....

Edited by blade954
cdentii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdentii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 4:04am
I have just stripped out the starter bolt on my Fusion .21 (after only 1 Tank during the heat cycling process) and have never even seen it run yet However at the same time I was also breaking in my new werks picco P3 for my mgt that I have decided to get A rotor start from A savage for. so while the P3 was running i started to look at the 2 and noticed that the two holes are about the same ID only thing is that the fusion is A hex key where as the "Roto Start" is round with 2 tabs running off the side. So after work tomorrow I am going to break out the old dremel and using A cutoff wheel cut out 2 notches directly apart from 1 and another. now if this works or not i will post A reply to inform all.... also 1 other benefit i have noticed is that the rotor start shaft is tapered down so there will be less risk of damaging the manifold on the exhaust.... the other thing is that the Actual "Roto Start" spins in the other direction so the shaft will still have to be used in A drill. If any one has tried this before and has any pointers Please let me know Thanks

Edited by cdentii
blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 4:22am

Let us know how you go with the picco was also looking at dropping the p3 in but the .26 has just been replaced with the .27 so am wating for a few reviews. And for werks to work there majic on one

http://www.ofna.com/eng-picco-27.html

Am also thinking about the fantom .21/.27

as the roto start bolts onto them as well.......

Edited by blade954
glypo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 11:00am
How do you keep managing to srip the nuts?

You are clearly doing something wrong. Either flooding the engine and forcing it to turn over, having the drill running whilst inserting/removing the hex shaft. The TT is not a tight engine to run in, so you shouldn't have to loosen the glow plug.

With a year and a half of solid use I only ever replaced the nut once, and this was my fault forcing a flooded engine over (very stupid thing to do, but I was not aware that is was flooded).

.26's do fit fusion/menace mounts, I have done it myself along with MANY other people. Great engines. Why do people always state the Werks Picco .26, it's just a Picco .26. Despite popular belief in the states Werks do not modify the engine in any way unless you ask them.

The Werks Picco, Picco, Ofna Picco and Orion Wasp .26 are the same engine out of the same factory.

Edited by glypo
tiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 1:59pm

Thanks guys for the help.... i have just ordered a graphite powder from     http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Graphite_Powder.html    if anyone is interested in buying...

Thanks to Blade954 for the tip......   hope it works.....        &a mp;n bsp;        Also... the roto start idea looks great ....  let us know ...

Edited by tiesto
blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2005 at 1:37am
its the angle which you have to go over the header on the fusion that makes the nut "gauge out" a roto start system would fix this being higher but as i said the graphite powder did the job for me.....
cdentii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdentii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:55am
Ok here we go I have just got done with The "Roto Start" conversion and it was A complete success  It was allot simpler than I had anticipated the only unforeseen thing was that I had to actually ream out the bolt hole with A 15/64 drill bit which was A Perfect fit it seams very solid and turns over with no problems. For anyone interested in the task all you need is A Dremel with A reinforced cutoff wheel, drill with A 15/64 drill bit, and A pair of vise grips, ohh and the tools to remove the starter assembly, Just take off the starter, wrap it up in A CLEAN cloth just exposing the bolt and either use A rubber band or A twisty tie to secure it next for the fun part break out the dremel and center it up and start cutting till you are down to the bottom of the inside hole, next take your drill and ream out the center and check for A proper fit remove any shavings, MAKE SURE ALL shaving are gone i actually cleaned mine with nitro blaster then re-oiled the hole thing, reassemble and take for A test drive, I have seen just the shafts go for $3.99 on E-Bay + S&H, so for about 20 min of work and the cost of the shaft you can be up and running in no time... BTW I almost consider this An upgrade as you can actually start it from just about any angle which translates into no more grooved out exhaust manifolds..... Ohh I almost forgot the Picco P3 is for my AE Monster GT however I can somehow someway see it finding itself A new home in the Fusion
cdentii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdentii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2005 at 5:19am

glypo

Yes you are 110% correct that all of the piccos are the same they all come from the same manufacture same assembly line ect.... the only difference is the paint job. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and got A awesome deal on the werks. yes here in the states there is A Huge misconception that the werks puts out 2.9hp vs 2.7hp however even on werks web site they even state 2.7hp and i would tend to believe the manufacture over rumors any day.... and the graphite tip I wish I would have known it before I stripped out my starter bolt.

Blade

The Fantom would probably A better choice in my own opinion not because it is A better engine but because it is A higher revving engine with A more mid-top end curve which is what is wanted for on-road just my 2 cents worth....

I have also included A link to my RC10GT, FUSION & MGT

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?showSlide=true&Uc= ee49uoq.n61a7li&Uy=5p8zhb&Ux=1

and my show truck:RC10GT

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=80469371506&ph otoid=70469371506&Uc=ee49uoq.10ytdwfm&Uy=-bonweo& ; ; ;Ux=1&refreshkey=1110175197609

Edited by cdentii
blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2005 at 6:49am

Cheers have been talking to a few of the guys on the onfa forum about this as well they also said the p3 wouldent do an on road car much benifit either, i've just purchased an aftermarket modded crank and sleve for the ttr .21 which is meant to give it a bit more so will try that but am gunna order a fantom .21 an try it as well now that i've grafted a .21 pipe on to the fusion the angle is even greater for the estart but with the roto start would eliminate this problem being higher.....

heres the pipe...

Had to cut it down a little and tiged it up at work.....came up

buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2005 at 11:03am
heres a pull start anyway go to http://www.racing-cars.com go on search and type in G522
cdentii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdentii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2005 at 9:31pm

I didn't replace the ez-start system I just simply modified the existing bolt to adapt to the "roto start" shaft.

BTW i just received the same (well same brand) Pipe for my MGT It just came in the mail today...

And i would post some pics but I cant seem to figure how to upload them...

lee_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2005 at 10:01pm
cdentii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdentii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 2:22am
This Is A Pic Of The Ez- Start Installed and modified (Notice The Slots)
cdentii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdentii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 2:23am
And A Pic Of The "Roto Start"
cdentii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdentii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 2:29am
And Finally The "Roto Start" In The Shaft As you can see there is plenty of room to move the shaft up and down or back and forth so no more damaged manifolds (pipe) and the Shaft only costs around $7-$8.00 I have $5.75 in mine including shipping on e-Bay.

Edited by cdentii
sirus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 5:07am
is that just a modified estart or an actual roto start, cos i could do that to my estart with an angle grinder and buy the piece =P
blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 12:11pm
Moded e-start with the roto start system nice work....Its got me thinkin
lee_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 12:19pm
Yeh that is a good idear.........nice work no more changing bolt's for you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic