www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Menace .21 roto start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifeisboost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Menace .21 roto start
    Posted: 13 February 2012 at 7:14am
okay first off i know i know some how the screws on the back plate holding the rotor start came out and it allowed the rear plate to come off the engine. unfortunately it shot out something that i could not find. I have the backing plate with the rotor start but obviously there is something missing that goes between the rotor start and the crankshaft. i am trying to find out what goes there and where to ge the parts. the problem is it doe snot allow you to tart the engine. what happens is the rotor start and crank shaft do not disengage for the engine to start.

so my question is does anyone have a break down image of the parts that goes between the rotor start and the crank shaft?

i hat to replace the entire engine because it has great compression and ran like a champ.
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 7:48pm
Sounds like your one-way bearing mate, this:

You can get all spares for the Menace from here too:

Manuals can be downloaded from the site too; just go to the main page and look for Manuals/Set-ups.  Can't remember if there is an engine diagram in there off the top of my head, but you really shouldn't need one; they are that simple to disassemble and reassemble.

lifeisboost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifeisboost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2012 at 7:31am
Thanks for the info, unfortunatly that is what i though i needed. that one way bearing is what was on the orignal roto start. mine strippedo ut years ago and i replaced it with this

instead of using the one way bearing, it has the metal disk with a keyway that fits into the con-rod pin and it spins the engine. the problem is there was somethign else in there that allowed the engine to run without the rotor start continuing to spin.
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2012 at 10:01pm
I can't for the life of me think what that would be.  Confused

I had the same problem years ago with the crappy allen screw starter shaft stripping out and I replaced it with the same one you did.  It's too long ago to remember clearly but I was almost positive that there is no difference between the internals of both starter inputs.  Can you post up any pictures of the parts that you DO have?
lifeisboost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifeisboost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2012 at 2:00pm
I wish I was home to post pics I travel for work and will not be back for a bit to get the pictures.
all there is on the engine is the big six starter like I posted. the big six has a flat disk with a hole cut in the disk that the con-ron pin fits into. if I put it in there the engine will spin with the roto-start, but does not disengage to allow the engine to continue running. All I remember is the truck was in a high speed run and I saw something shoot out the back of the motor as it passed because the screws came loose in a long day of running :(. I have had my truck since 2004 and that is when I replaced the roto-start so I can't remember what was in there.

I just do not see where that one-way would go because there is no room behind the crank once you put the roto-start on the engine.

all of the online manuals show the orignial starter on th eengine in detail only.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic