www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Schumacher Bosscat parts/problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipdigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schumacher Bosscat parts/problems
    Posted: 07 September 2011 at 10:01pm
Hi,
I used to race RC cars a long long long time ago and after a mate bought a bosscat from ebay which turned out to be pretty good although a bit tatty, I thought i would give it a go.  Would be fun to mess about doing it up if it wasnt the greatest.

Turns out it isnt the greatest, and I am now finding out how hard it seems to be for parts should things go wrong.  My internet research tells me that I have a bosscat touring.  It fired up ok, but I have no power or drive to the rear wheels.  On taking it apart I need a new diff, or at least some parts of the diff to fix it.

Is this going to be worth it and could anyone help me find parts or know of parts suppliers through this site? 

I dont want the money sucking to spoil my cat ownership.  The cat was new out about the time that I left the hobby in the past and was one of the hottest cars on the course.  It was never within my budget as a kid.  Now id love to have one with electrics etc that I understand (now called retro!!) to play about with and take care of.

Is it worth searching for the parts, or maybe trying for something different?  My mate is all for going half's on a donor car for parts but there arent even many of those about.  He ended up with what I think is a bosscat works which "works", and im stuck with a bust bosscat touring!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lee

CAT3K2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAT3K2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 10:22am
I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the Bosscat. If the buggy is going to be run lots, either as a basher or racer, then you are going to go through parts which are going to be hard to find sometimes.

They are great buggys though. If you want to convert the Bosscat to a regular buggy it shouldn't be too tough, you only really need to the buggy shock towers and wing mounts and you're done. Fibrelyte do replacement carbon towers still : http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/schumacher/fl_bosscat.html and Schumacher still sell the wing mount kits.

Buggy shells/undertrays/wings are being reproduced by TBG, so easy to get too.

As to what could be wrong with your diff i'm not sure. Is the rear belt ok? or has the diff just loosened itself off? Either way it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Post up some pics of your Bosscat, it's always easier to help with pics Smile

Edited by CAT3K2 - 08 September 2011 at 10:23am
slipdigby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipdigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 10:40am
Im probably not going to run it lots.  Its unlikely i will be racing it.  I wont be "bashing" it either!  I intend to take care of it, with the occasional blast around a car park with my mate.  Got it for old times sake really to bring back some memories!

I think its already been converted as it doesnt have the saloon shell it has a buggy shell now with a wing mount kit.  No large body posts.

The rear belt is ok but all belts are a little worn.  Its in bits now so I will post some pics soon of the diff.  Drive reached the front wheels but no power to the back wheels (when it was together).
On taking it apart, the diff is al little raggy and seems to be missing 1 ball bearing, and a few washers here and there on the shaft which just disintegrated when I unscrewed it.  You can hold each driveshaft connector and spin the large middle cog around.  Also it does not have the opposite wheel turning action of the diff that the front has.

I will post pics soon and I have already put up a wanted post in that section.
CAT3K2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAT3K2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 11:00am
It's hard to tell without pictures, but it sounds like the diff could have been running loose. 

If you need the instruction manual/exploded diagram for it, send me a PM though here with an email address and i'll get a copy emailed to you Smile
slipdigby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipdigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 12:53pm
Thanks for the offer, I have the instructions for it and exploded diagram.  Heres some pics.  I think i am missing some washers and a very small set of bearings.  Last picture is what seemed to disintegrate when I took it apart.

CAT3K2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAT3K2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 1:43pm
The diff doesn't look too bad Smile
The small bearing and washers you are looking for are the thrust bearing set u730 which Schumacher still have in stock here : http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Old_Cars_and_Parts/Menace_GTR/U730.html

One thing that seems to be missing or i can't see in your pics, is the disc springs that fit next to the thrust race. This step is missing from the manual, so it's entirely possible the original owner never fitted them at all. These are concave washers shaped like this ( There's usually 3 of them if i remember and should be fitted like this ()( They act like a spring and allow you to tighten down on the diff and keep the tension to stop it undoing itself over time. I think the disc springs in this kit are suitable : U857, but i'm not entirely sure.

One other thing to check is that the nut holder (Step 1 in the manual) actually still has the nut inside it, otherwise it will never tighten up properly, i've missed this one myself before LOL

Apart from that, i'd give the thing a good clean and rebuild and it should work fine.

Edited by CAT3K2 - 08 September 2011 at 1:51pm
slipdigby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipdigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 12:45am
Many thanks for your help,
In the last picture do you have any idea what the large looking washer is & where it is from?  are the larger washers included in set U730 & would I need 2 of sets U730?

Also as I am 1 ball bearing missing is there a kit number for the ball bearings?

If you look at the first couple of pictures, I was able to hold the black parts at each side and quite easily spin the whole diff backwards and forwards.  Like when it was on the car with the wheels on, the centre bit of the diff must have spun by the power of the belts but did not turn the drive shafts.  Would the parts you have mentioned solve that?

Sorry for all the questions, but I feel I am getting somewhere with it if it looks ok and repairable to you.

I will order some parts but would rather get everything I need (or might need) in one go!

I will post up some more pictures of the rest of the car soon if anyone wants a laugh! but at the moments its in bits, and it really looks a heap!

Thanks again for your help so far
Lee

Edited by slipdigby - 09 September 2011 at 12:49am
MOOZO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOZO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 12:11pm
Did the large washer come from inside the diff drum?

Paul (cat3k2)? aren't there four washers )()(?

wheres the two washers either side of the thrust race?

Mick
slipdigby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipdigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 12:49pm
Mick - Im not sure where the large washer came from.  The 2 washers either side of the thrust race just crumbled to bits.EDIT**sorry they didnt i have found them they are still on the long screw.

Heres a few more to show what im working off.

Going off the above im missing "E", the thrust race assembly.
Also when you look at "3" and "5" in the above, im missing the 2nd and 3rd items down on each side - a 9x16x5mm BUSH and STEEL BUSH.  Does the sealed bearing in my pictures replace those 2?
Also my male & female washer carriers (M & F) seem to be different to those in the above picture, and also seem to be stuck fast to their Trilobe diff washers (item B).

Lee

Edited by slipdigby - 09 September 2011 at 12:58pm
CAT3K2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAT3K2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by MOOZO MOOZO wrote:

Did the large washer come from inside the diff drum?

Paul (cat3k2)? aren't there four washers )()(?

wheres the two washers either side of the thrust race?

Mick
Probably Mick, but for some reason most of mine only have 3 in them, if they have them at all.

As to your diff Lee. Looking at the new pics you've posted it definately looks like the diff has been run loose, getting them very hot and melting parts of the washer carriers. This would be the main reason you got no drive when you tried it as even a poorly functioning diff that's tight will still give you drive.

Also, the black looking plastic washers (minus the thrust bearing cage) on the last pic of your origonal set of pictures, now looks to me like it could be part of the melted washer carrier that's disintegrated.

Your right about the sealed bearings, it looks like someone has replaced the oilite bearings.

Looking now at your new pics, i'm not sure those washer carriers are salvagable. I don't know how easy it's going to be to find them. Yours is a sport diff and you could replace them with the alloy version from the pro diff, if you could find them. They do come up from time to time on ebay, one finished recently : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schumacher-Bosscat-pro-diff-/270750473127

I'll have a hunt about in my spares to see if i have anything suitable.

Paul.

MOOZO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOZO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 3:48pm
Yeah what Paul said totally agree lol

Mick
slipdigby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipdigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 1:21pm
Thanks for the info.  At least I know what Im looking for now!  I wish I could have got that diff from the ebay link looks perfect for me!  Only thing I dont recognise are the 2 black circular items on the top right of the ebay picture.  I dont have them at all.

If you guys have contacts or could point me in the right direction of someone who has one I would be very grateful.  I will be searching too.  I already have a post in the wanted section.

In the meantime I have plenty more to be getting on with on my bosscat as its a bit of a mess.  I will have to come to terms I might not see it mobile for a while yet!!

Thanks
Lee
MOOZO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOZO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 3:37pm
Lee the two black belt tensioners should be attatched to the metal transmission plates...the driveshafts go through them....

Mick

slipdigby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipdigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 4:09pm

I see.  Thanks Mick I recognise them now.  I have them.

Am I right in thinking that in my last picture the male & female washer carriers should appear the same and the one on the left is excessively worn and useless?  These could be replaced by the alloy items seen in the ebay picture?

Lee
MOOZO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOZO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 4:41pm
Yes you are right....i'll have a look to see if i have anything and let you know...the other one thats not worn should be ok..

Mick
CAT3K2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAT3K2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 9:05pm
A pair of the alloy washer carriers were on ebay not long ago : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schumacher-U1245S-23mm-Pro-Diff-Washer-Carrier-Rare-/330610236341?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4cf9e7dbb5
Seller has quite a few old schumacher bits, might be worth sending him an email to see if he has any more.

slipdigby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipdigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2011 at 7:37am
Excellent, thanks Paul, I have sent a message through ebay.

Lee
DM613 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DM613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2011 at 6:16am
This step is missing the manual, so it is entirely possible, the original owner never installed them all. These are the washers concave shape like this (not usually three of them if I remember, and will install () (behave like spring, and you can tighten the gap and maintain the enthusiasm to stop it opening up I think spring in this kit are designed for:. U857, but not completely sure.

slipdigby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipdigby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2011 at 6:22pm
Ok guys im getting somewhere with this car now.
I have some alloy washer carriers, new ball bearings, thrust bearing and concave washers (u857) on the way for the back diff.  Once I have them it should be good to go.

I have also took apart the front diff.  I now understand alot more about how these things work.  All was good with the front one but im going to renew the thrust bearing as it was a little deformed, and also get some concave washers for the front too.

Luckily within the box of junk I got with the car, there is a new drive belt so going to put that on when it goes back together.

Today I stripped the rear leaking shocks to sort them out.  I have a pack of o-rings in the post so going to wait to see if one fits the shock threads before i put them back together.

Had a bit of a mishap with the undertray.  I decided to try and strip the paint off it with thinners as it was looking a mess.  The whole undertray just dissolved! oops!  Looking around for one of them now!

Hopefully get it up and running again in a couple of weeks from now.
MOOZO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOZO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2011 at 7:06pm
Undertrays are available from the website everyone loves, companys called tbh and are situated in canada Lee.....

Mick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic