www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Planet Menace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elven wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planet Menace
    Posted: 31 July 2010 at 6:59am

One of Schumacher's best rc's. The Schumacher Menace. 1/10 scale / 4wd  / .21 Thunder Tiger / 3 speed auto
       I have spent very many hours and years with the Menace only to say it is one of the finest's rc's around.

Comin at you

Crazy mod power

A constant runner. One of the most reliable 4wd drivetrains ever. The Menace keeps runnin and runnin

Early Menace years - in the beginning

It floats !

restoring Menace's

Schumacher Menace all around model pics -

Menace

front end purple aluminium

Purple shock

purple post holder

Purple Alloy Diff Mount

shock cap

front suspension

front purple suspension arms

.21 Thunder Tiger

topview suspension

Alloy Purple Suspension Mount

purple gear cover protector

purple fuel filter

rear tire / rim

high bite tire

Schumacher Menace Diagram

2nd look of a fairly stock Menace

Alloy front hub / Purple Alloy Yoke

topview engine head

3 speed auto

chrome rime

Menace

EZ - start

fuel tank

front end tower / shocks

topview shock tower

back end

Alloy Wishbones

engine / muffler

.21 Thunder Tiger engine head

overview Menace

bottom of chassis

Menace body

side rear

back end

3 Speed Auto

Bad gear / good gear

Menace story - After a year's worth of running everyday and many engines gone thru finally the first gear went out. Pretty amazing. This Menace went thru all kinds of dirt conditions even in the desert. Schumacher gave the Menace a very tough reliable 3 speed auto.

stripped gear

it all started with a broken tooth then shortly the domino effect happened

just a little cleaning is all that's needed

Menace roosters - Large clouds and billows of dust - The power of the .21 Thunder Tiger

Street Menace - with venom tires

High Speed Flyin !

Speed runs

A menace can get away from you fast

4wd street Racer

and away she goes

Misc Menace section - fixes, crashs, replacing etc

diff servicing

front diff taken out for servicing

time to clean the crude out

everything is to be cleaned

from a bad crash

gear set colors - white 3 speed gear set

gears set colors - black 3 speed gear set

hard day of runnin

Crash !

rear arm broken

busted ! time to fix

time to put alloy arms on

brace

putting together

torx screw

one alloy arm one stock arm

change both arms to alloy or change one arm to alloy till the stock one breaks

Engine Rebuild

taking the sleeve out

crank

on start - up

.28 Axial Engine

one powerful engine for the Menace

Question is - can you handle this much power ?

THE GREEN HEAD

axial carb

the Axial is so powerful it just rips those tires apart like nothing

tires gone

The Power is MADNESS !

if you thought the Thunder was powerful the Axial is utter craziness !

The power is anywhere on throttle

Extreme Torq

Donut King !

The BRUTE STRENGTH POWER of the Axial is so immense that the tires are hard to keep on the Menace with the Axail .28 in it. I can honestly say the Menace's drivetrain has been trouble free with the Axial .28 in it.

Testing the Menace

I spend very many hours testing the rc's everyday, Making sure there runnin in top condition. I do this to all the rc's.

hitting 3rd gear in no time !

Fast ! very Fast !

in complete control with 4wd

some drifting moments

just skimmed over that rock

The Rc's go thru lots of this a week

I love the dust, looks awesome

even looks good without the body

I see the wheel & the antenna

runnin perfect, good tune, superb idle - everything good

straight line passes are important it's a good indication of how well your engine is running

this Rc is perfect in so many ways

Edited by elven wizard
elven wizard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elven wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2010 at 8:21am

Restoring Menace's

I restore Menace's that are really in a bad state. Some abused to the point I care not to mention here. Gutted, maimed, abandoned you named it.

In sad shape

slowly coming back to life

time and patience

can't forget the electronics

coming together

getting there

Bringing back Menace's to life

like many others, here's 2 Menace's that were restored back to life

Purple Menace Shots

Edited by elven wizard
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elven wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 5:54am
Menace Check

check the carb - any dirt clean it out. The Thunder Tiger can last a long time without any debris going in the engine.

check throttle / brake - make adjustments if necessary

check the layshaft

check the fuel tank - are you losing fuel ?

clean the fuel tank it while it's out

now that you checked it - is there any cracks ?

check diff & belt

clean out the debris

remove the diff & layshaft mount set

diff coming out

now that the diff is fully out check overall condition

clean out and check teeth

clean / check 3 speed gears

check every tooth of every gear

This is just a few things to check when your servicing your Menace

Edited by elven wizard
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elven wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 4:32am
check out on youtube - elvenwizard12 for menace and XTR'3e video's

better yet subscribe to me for future video's

Edited by elven wizard
GBDUO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBDUO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 1:02pm
Nice!

I really need to get mine out working again, hopefully with the weather
improving I will be able to!

Looking good with the desert pics, I wish I had that much land to play
with...!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elven wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 5:48pm
The Menace is a awesome Rc. Still today nothing like it. Even in the desert the Menace can handle it thanks to it's 4wd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzUG2KMsi7E
britishrallying View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britishrallying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 10:38pm

Hmmm im so tempted to upgrade to a Axial engine, is there much difference between a:

Axial AX0331 .28RR Spec 2 Black Head     to a:

Axial AX0320 1/8 Nitro .28 Spec 2S Green Head

Need to get a decent set of tyres for mine now, only good for tarmac, think im mostly going to be using it on grass...

Gaz

MaxD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 12:58am
I use Proline Speed Paws with 2-stage foams - great for grass and off-road.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elven wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 1:31am
 The Axial AX0331 .28RR absolutlety screams. It's 1500 more RPM than the Axial AX0320 1/8 Nitro .28 Spec 2S. Either engine is more than enough power to make the Menace into a Super Menace. Watch my video's on youtube about the pipe conversion, with all these power combinations you can't go wrong. Here's my link in 1080p - http://www.youtube.com/user/elvenwizard12#p/u/51/DGBDLtDrtJM

Here's the Super Menace running with the stock pipe. With the pipe conversion it made the Super Menace into a Super "Xtreme" Menace !

copy and paste

http://www.youtube.com/user/elvenwizard12#p/u/68/zWzlyVYPk_Y

Edited by elven wizard
MaxD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 1:13pm
Don't forget the .28 found in the Havoc - same way to start the engine.  It's not bad for what it is.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britishrallying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 8:41pm

Originally posted by elven wizard elven wizard wrote:

The Axial AX0331 .28RR absolutlety screams. It's 1500 more RPM than the Axial AX0320 1/8 Nitro .28 Spec 2S. Either engine is more than enough power to make the Menace into a Super Menace. Watch my video's on youtube about the pipe conversion, with all these power combinations you can't go wrong. Here's my link in 1080p - http://www.youtube.com/user/elvenwizard12#p/u/51/DGBDLtDrtJM

Here's the Super Menace running with the stock pipe. With the pipe conversion it made the Super Menace into a Super "Xtreme" Menace !

copy and paste

http://www.youtube.com/user/elvenwizard12#p/u/68/zWzlyVYPk_Y

Cool videos, what tyres have you got on the Axial Menace and also what muffler/silencer is it youve put on to give it more power?

Gaz

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elven wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 9:35pm

Dirt Paw 2.2 This is what you want.

These tires will tear up everything in it's path !

The header doesn't have a name on it. There a few out there just like this one It came from 2 boxes full of headers I have. It took alot of testing and fitting of header's to finally find this right one. So look at the video in the closely and find one just like the one I have. ( the same size if possible ) Also there are so many muffler's out there. Get the best one ! This one here is a Werks pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkR_4FF824 - in 1080p

This exhaust set up is very tough and reliable after many roll overs. As if it was made to be on there from the beginning. Totally reliable !

Edited by elven wizard
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britishrallying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 10:06pm

Looking at the Axial engines still, im thinking this one would possible be too powerful for the standard clutch and diffs, and be ridiculous to control?

Axial 32RR-1 Nitro Engine AX0332 1/8 .32 RR-1

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax0332_32rr-1_engine.html

Menace 4x4 .32  

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elven wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 10:49pm
The .32 rr-1 would be really pushing it. Especially on the pavement. Run that with dirt paws on the dirt. Just have a couple of diffs on hand. The .28 wakes up the beast in the Menace but the .32 would be just
 maddening !
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britishrallying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 11:01pm

I dont know that much technical info on nitro engines, are the cranks the same measurements? i.e where the clutch bell fits, noticed on the Axial engines theres a brass tapered collet, am i right in thinking you take this collet off and the schumacher clutch bell fits on?

And last of all the exhaust manifold is it a standard size? menace header pipe fit all nitro engines, with a round exhaust port?

Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 11:02pm

A .32?!  I question your sanity sunshine...

It's bonkers enough with the .21 (when tuned right).  I'm surprised to be honest that no-one ever fitted a .25/.26 before jumping to the .28's though.  A .32 is probably a step too far; the drivetrain is nowhere near as tough as say a monster or 1/8 buggy.  I think you'd spend all your time replacing chewed gears.  They are plastic don't forget.  Possibly the diffs and the occasional belt too.  I have a .32 fitted to my monster and the torque is too much sometimes for metal bells and spurs.  Besides, when you are going up to blocks that size, you're probably going to start losing top-end too; I think a rough rule of thumb is the bigger the displacement, the less the active rev-range.  Your best bet is probably to go .28 max, or buy a new TT .21 and then spend a bit more on getting it ported & polished or some other mods.  I read on here ages ago that RBMods and a couple of the other top modder companies say that the TT has great tuning potential.

If you DO shoehorn a .32 into it though, be sure to get some videos up on here for us!

Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by britishrallying britishrallying wrote:

I dont know that much technical info on nitro engines, are the cranks the same measurements? i.e where the clutch bell fits, noticed on the Axial engines theres a brass tapered collet, am i right in thinking you take this collet off and the schumacher clutch bell fits on?

And last of all the exhaust manifold is it a standard size? menace header pipe fit all nitro engines, with a round exhaust port?

The cranks may be a little bit longer.  I remember that from fitting the .32 in place of the .27 on my MT.  I had to mill the engine mount plate holes so the engine could slide further back.  The brass collets I think need to stay; you could possibly use a better clutch with the Menace bell, but you will need the collets to mount which ever flywheel you use.  And yes, the exhaust outlets are the same size, but you will definitely need to change your tuned pipe for a dedicated big-block pipe; if you stick a .21 pipe onto a .32 engine you will likely have tuning issues.  The same pipe on a .28 you might get away with, but not for definite.  Ask MaxD what pipe he uses with his .28 conversion for a straight, been-there-done-that answer.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britishrallying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 11:28pm

Originally posted by Paul M Paul M wrote:

The cranks may be a little bit longer.  I remember that from fitting the .32 in place of the .27 on my MT.  I had to mill the engine mount plate holes so the engine could slide further back.  The brass collets I think need to stay; you could possibly use a better clutch with the Menace bell, but you will need the collets to mount which ever flywheel you use.  And yes, the exhaust outlets are the same size, but you will definitely need to change your tuned pipe for a dedicated big-block pipe; if you stick a .21 pipe onto a .32 engine you will likely have tuning issues.  The same pipe on a .28 you might get away with, but not for definite.  Ask MaxD what pipe he uses with his .28 conversion for a straight, been-there-done-that answer.

Cheers Paul, think I probably will only upgrade to a .28 at some point. Would like to try and get a .32 running in a menace, project for the future, have to make quite a few custom parts on the lathe!!.

Happy to get the .21 running right first though, thanks for the info, most appreciated..

Gaz

Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 11:32pm
Not a problem mate. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elven wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 12:55am
Right on. Paul gave you the right answers. I would take it into steps before jumping to the .32 You will find the .28 axial is a wonderful engine for the Menace. It just screams. You get addicted peeling out like crazy. The power is so awesome. You light up the wheels like nothing !

Edited by elven wizard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic