www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XTR World !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 10:04pm

You say you picked up this XTR in working order.  Since it has not been in production for a long time I will assume that it is 2nd hand.  If I was buying a 2nd hand model, the first thing I would do before I even attempted to run it would be replacement of all the fuel lines, then I would purge the old fuel from the tank and give it (the tank) a blast out with nitro cleaner, paying extra attention to the brass clunk filter in the bottom of the tank.

You should also make sure that the lid closure spring hasn't weakened at all with age or use; if it isn't able to put adequate closing pressure on the lid, the pressure from the exhaust line will be lost and you will either risk running lean and frying your engine, or it won't create enough feed pressure in the tank to even start or idle.  The other thing you might want to try too is disconnecting the fuel feed line at the tank end and giving a healthy blast of nitro cleaner through the fuel line to make sure your carb, especially the adjustment needles are clean and free-flowing.

The only other thing I can think of would be that your engine has reached the end of its life; if the piston and sleeve are worn, it may have lost compression and probably won't be able to build enough pressure.  You haven't mentioned this of course and it's only a small possibility; you should know if it has good compression from the resistance you feel when you are attempting to start it.
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 10:06pm
Never mind; just seen your reply.  In my defence; I did start typing this well over an hour and a half ago but then got stuck on Skype with my dad for an hour... WinkLOL
currall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote currall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 6:28pm
haha thanks anyway for that just adding to my knowledge! do you have an xtr at all?
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 8:49pm
No mate. I keep watching for them on eBay though as I wouldn't mind one, but all the ones I've seen recently have been sheds and would require a bit too much to restore. I've got a Menace, Manic and Raptor from Schumacher and a few others...
The Menace, XTR family and Fusion family all have common parts (engine and transmission especially) though, so they're pretty similar to work on.
currall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote currall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 9:42pm
what's the menace like? my mate has one and doesn't realise how much he could sell it for so iv offered him £50 all working alloy upgrades! I'll post a pic a bit later
Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:12pm
Not quite as mental as the XTR but pretty close; the 4wd system robs a bit of the power, so you won't win a drag race against an XTR, but apart from making it understeer a bit, the 4wd system makes it infinitely better handling, especially on a track. I say get it from him if it's available. The only downside of the Menace inherently is bad brakes; Schumacher stuck with the same carbon system as the XTR and Fusion, but I don't think they took into account the transmission and heavier wheels/tyres than the Fusion, and I rate the stock system as the worst I've ever come across. In the end I paid one of the lads on here for a custom steel disc and I made some composite pads and it stops a lot better than before. I don't use it so much these days, I have a 1/5 scale which gets a lot more use because it needs a lot less tuning, plus if you compare the price of a gallon of unleaded against a gallon of nitro, well, easy winner really...
currall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote currall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:46pm
yep I totally agree I have a hpi baja 5b love it but to
be honest my xtr is beating it! got it fully tuned and nice now running
on 20% wheelies a lot! think I'll get the menace tomorrow
ryi83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryi83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 8:52pm
Hi can any one help me im trying to find the right pull start for my xtr 3e either the part number or if anyone has got a spare?
Jonnnblue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonnnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 8:55pm
Best of buying the drill start attatchment, availble from schumacher direct
ryi83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryi83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 9:06pm
Thanks for the reply, I did have that. But replaced it. Do u know if a thunder tiger pn0229 will work?
Jonnnblue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonnnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 9:12pm
I wouldnt like to give a definte answer as i dont have that pull start but i dont think it will. The new pro 21 pull starts dont fit.
ryi83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryi83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 9:16pm
Ok, do you have a xtr? What pull start do you have? Do you know what glow plug it takes? I have it sat for about five years so needs a a good sort out.
Jonnnblue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonnnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 10:02pm
I have 4 of them in top condition and 2 others in bits. I do have pull starts on a couple of them, of the top of my head i think the part number is PN0077 but the drill start is alot easier and more reliable. I use OS No.8 plugs on all my engines, of which i have about 20 or so. Its my plug of choice. I also use Byrons Race Gen2 fuel. Ensure your gears are meshed cortectly and your engine is mounted tightly. If your all up for a good check up, id also open the diff up to check the condition of the drive belt. They deteriate over time. Ive trashed 2 in the last month alone so i think its well worth the 10 mins it takes.
ryi83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryi83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 7:10am
Nice, where abouts are you from? I will take a look at the belt, is there another alternative air filter as the foam one at schumacher are out of stock?
Jonnnblue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonnnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 7:18am
Worcestershire im from. Any big block or 1/8th air filter of ebay will work
ryi83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryi83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 9:19pm
can anyone tell me if the schumacher g522 pullstart will fit a 21xtr 3e, thanks for reply jon, just getting things sorted now? where can i get a new drive belt from if i need one? 

ryi83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryi83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 9:22pm
does anyone want to sell me a spare pullstart for a 21 xtr 3e please. 

Jonnnblue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonnnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 9:35pm
I just had a quick look on the net for the G522 part you mentioned, its not available from schumacher anymore but it is the right one and available from overseas sellers.

The drive belt is
U1637 or U2410 which is for the TT transmission. Youll know if you have the TT Trans by looking at your diff housing. Around where the drive shafts exit the case, there will be TT embossed into the plastic.

My advice would be to got for the drill start option G556. Pull starts are all well and good but hard to come by now and less reliable.

All the part numbers ive listed are available from this site and are in stock. I checked :-)

ryi83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryi83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 9:46pm
Would u fancy selling one of your pull starts? Thanks so much for ur help. I found one place in Australia but they want 79 aus dollars to buy and ship it? What do think?
Jonnnblue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonnnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 10:10pm
I think it would only break. The pull strts i have im using as i dont have enough drill starts. I would even suggest buying a donor car of ebay maybe, for spares. I got 2 that i stripped for spares. As you have the 3e, i would definatly buy a spare set of gears for it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic