www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fusion 28 repeated breakage help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSpetrolhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fusion 28 repeated breakage help please
    Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:22pm

Wondering if anybody has had the same breakage on a fusion 28? or anybody could offer some help with the underlying cause?

Basically the drive pin through the layshaft (part U2550) snaps.  The pin is recessed into the drive rachet plate which sit in front of the brake disc.  The first time this happened the pin eat through the rear of the rachet plate which was a plastic jobby.  I mate had a metal version laying around and donated this to me which I fittd with new drive pin.  each time i drive the car, this pin now snaps.  I onky get 2 minutes running before is gives up and ends up in 3 peices!!!.  Today i was only driving it slowly, not even anywhere near the usual abuse it gets and it snapped.

It is now doin my head and cant figure out why this is happening, the drive train seems free running and smooth.

HELLLP PLEASE !!

Paul M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 11:35pm
Even if you have upgraded to the metal ratchet, the pin should not be snapping so regularly.  I would assume that something else on your transmission is binding somewhere and that is putting extra strain on the pin.  If everything is running smooth and freely I suppose the only other thing you could check is that your layshaft isn't bent or worn where the pin inserts.  If it is putting an uneven load on the pin then that could be to blame.  Other than that, no guesses; it shares transmission with the Menace and guys have put 28's in them without this problem, and the Menace transmission is a bit harder on the pins, what with the wheels being bigger and heavier.  I think the only other thing you can do is to fire an e-mail to Schumacher's tech department. 
Anthoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 5:50pm

I am sure I can remember someone else having this problem, I think that was down to a bent layshaft..but my memory is pretty hazy.

Other than that, as Paul has said check for binding and check the hole in the layshaft and the recess in the metal rachet where the pin locates, you are looking for excessive freeplay.

I have never had a problem with this pin and I am also using the metal rachet with a .28 engine

Edited by Anthoop
RSpetrolhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSpetrolhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 1:18pm

Thanks for the advise gents.  I must say im not so sure the layshaft is bent, i did check for this the second time the pin failed, but without the right tools it was more of a quick visual check.

Im going to order a new layshaft today, as anything is worth a try. Im getting withdrawals not having the .28 screaming away on these hot weekend afternoons. 

Uptil now i have had hours of fun with this model, which i bought soon as schumacher launched it in 2008 and cant wait to get it onto the tarmac and burn rubber.

Watch this space and will get back to you if the new layshaft is the fix required.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSpetrolhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 12:22am

I fitted the new layshaft, but during the strip down i decided to play with the belt assembly, stripped out the rear diff, and turned the belt through the front diff and every now and then it felt tight. After lots of playing some small stones dropped out.

Got to take the fusion 28 out last weekend and didnt even get through 1/2 tank of fuel when it broke again!.  But I cant blame anyone other than myself cos i stuck the plastic plate that sits into the rachet plate the wrong way round.  The tappered slots were facing the rachet, but had a spare in my box & repaired it ready for this weekend.

actually managed to burn 2 tanks of fuel with the fusion 28 today, before it broke again !. 

Not sure what has gone, as i didnt have time to strip it all down, but i can see the plastic thingey that stripped last time it damaged again, but also a new problem with the clutch.  Usally when the clutch goes there is no drive, but this time the clutch is stuck in the enagaged position, as when i turn the gears i can feel the compression in the engine !  When i first bought the model, i only run 6 tanks of fuel through it before the clutch gave up, and slipped. Poor design or what, if you compare it to kyosho, and alike, they use te metal shoe type which seem bullet proof.

Is it just me guys, but the whole time i have had the fusion it never runs sweet for more that 1/2 hour, sometimes less before something breaks ????

Anthoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 6:22pm

...but the drive pin is ok now?

Interesting that you are now stripping that plastic ring that fits between the ratchet and 1st gear. A forum member with a Menace was having the same problem and I started making a new ring out of 6061 aluminium, in the end it was going to require too much time to make the part.

The clutch? Yes it was poor with the .21 engine so why they used it again on the .28 is a mystery. You can find a 3 pin flywheel and clutch bell upgrade at http://www.wolfpackradicals.com/ , you must email him for prices, his address is on the site.

Edited by Anthoop

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSpetrolhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 6:09pm

Well.....so far so good with the drive pin, it is still in one piece....

Interesting you mention the wolfpackradical upgrades, I have glanced at the website before and there is some top notch upgrades on there, so will have a look at the upgrade for the clutch.

A mate got me an upgraded clutch which constisted of a sturdy flywheel assembly and metal shoes, which was aimed at a buggy type chassis arrangement, and the flywheel was a large diameter and therefore would require a slot cutting into the chassis so it would not rub the chassis, in the end I decided not to fit this new clutch assessembly for this reason.

You mentioned the clutch was also the same on the .21, and now carried over to the .28.... well supprise supprise its also on the .28 TURBO ! more power power, more melted broken clutches, more spares sales !!... clever cunning plan ! ooooppps!

Shame you didnt manage to make the aluminium ring to replace the plastic ring at a reasonable cost, im sure there are load of schuey model owners out there that would pay you for one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSpetrolhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 2:17pm
You must have a virus matey, cos you dont make any sense and we are not wanting any replicia Rolex's.
blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 2:49am
Yep the clutch was a big letdown in the 21 then they go and fit it to the .28 its a schumacher thing i think... the wolf pack clutch and fly wheel is the go here is the difference and with spring choices and teflon shoes makes for more exiting driving...

Edited by blade954
MaxD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Anthoop Anthoop wrote:

...but the drive pin is ok now?

Interesting that you are now stripping that plastic ring that fits between the ratchet and 1st gear. A forum member with a Menace was having the same problem and I started making a new ring out of 6061 aluminium, in the end it was going to require too much time to make the part.

The clutch? Yes it was poor with the .21 engine so why they used it again on the .28 is a mystery. You can find a 3 pin flywheel and clutch bell upgrade at http://www.wolfpackradicals.com/ , you must email him for prices, his address is on the site.

That was me with the stripping of that part....  In the end I went back to using the plastics ratchet on my 28.  I still don't mind how long it takes for you to make an alloy one...... I'd go for more than 1 as well!!  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic