www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

manic needle rollers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor_owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: manic needle rollers
    Posted: 30 April 2010 at 6:26pm

hi all

im looking for a way to oil my needle roller bearings on my bell on my manic can any1 give me an answer to this dilema without having to take the clutch bell off is there anydevice you can buy to squirt it in through the top of the clutch bell?

thanks in advance steve

perrin21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perrin21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 6:37pm
i will have to do mine over the weekend so i will let you know how i get on.
think its an easy job to do.
stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 9:26pm
I assume its similar o the Rascal needle bearings.  Easiest way is to take the cb off, remove needles etc and grease the shaft, this helps hold them in place when you reassemble.
Jonnnblue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonnnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 9:12am

i do mine quite regular...as it says in the maual to do it after every hour of run time, i have noticed that when the rollers get dry the clutchbell rotation has a noticable noice and friction increase, this is how i do mine.

-Place the car on its left side so the clutch is facing upwards. The Manic sits nicely on sides of its wheels without having tobe supported

-Remove the clutch bell screw and washer so the ends of the needle rollers are exposed

-Place the tip of a flat screwdriver into your choice of lubricant. I use diesel engine oil as its thicker and i have noticed it lasts longer.

-Via the top of the screwdriver, transfer the lubricant to the needle rollers and rotate the clutch bell to work the oil in.

-Do this severl times to get plenty of lubriacant into the rollers.

-Replace the screw and washer, put the car back on all 4's and push it back and forth a few times to make sure the lubricant is fully worked in around the needle rollers.

-Nice and easy, no devices or clutch bell removal.

Edited by Jonnnblue
raptor_owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor_owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 10:38am

hi johnnblue

thank you for your reply.

i have come to a bit of a standstill with my manic becuse i cant get any oil in these rllers its doing my head in!!!!

i understand your concept to getting them oiled 1 problem is i cant get the screw and washer undone or out becuse i cant stop the engine turning over every time i turn the screwdriver it just turns the engine over. any answer to this????

as regards to the noise and friction i know wot you mean as my clutch bell now has glowing marks on it where it got so hot with fritcion. and i have noticed the like screaming needle noise that comes out of it.

hope you can help me many thanks steve

stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 10:52am
Try gripping the the flywheel with some molegrips or similar taking care not to squash it, that should allow you to loosen the bolt off.
Jonnnblue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonnnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 12:36pm

the flywheel is encased by the syncro dirt guard and unreachable.

I think because you have not removed the screw before its going to be tight. Mine was very tight as i remember, for the first time i think it may be a case of removing the engine complete, remove the dirt guard so you can grip the flywheel in hand and undo the screw. Breaking the initial seal will ease the removal of the screw in the future as all i do now is the procedure i described earlier.

The screw was VERY tight. im now on a replacement screw as the original was rounded off...i had to cut a slot in it to remove it.

perrin21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perrin21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:03pm
im at the same standstill now with these needle rollers. Its gotta be easier
than taking out the engine. They expect you to do this after every hours
running.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor_owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:09pm

yes i know this is my problem i dont want to take the engine out if i dont have to plus i dont have the 2 jigs you need to get them sycronised back together again if you slpit the cases.

im aware that you have to do it every hours running but the hard part is how without ripping it too bits.

i can feel a phone call to schumacher coming on myself!!!!!!!

thanks steve

perrin21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perrin21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:14pm
would WD40 or similar penetrating oil do the job? i have just sprayed some
on the little bolt and it freed up the clutch significantly. Still cant get the
bolt off though. I think the secret to getting the engine off is to undo the
chassis bolts and leave it in one piece on its mount.. Do not split the
engines.

Edited by perrin21

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor_owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:17pm

i honestly do not know i think you need something thicker like engine oil or grease to be honest but i guess if it goes in the hole and it freed up it must of done something.

i think i will phone schumacher on tuesday and ask them myself then they can tell me wot to you aswell.

steve

perrin21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perrin21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:19pm
well lets be honest. it only has to last an hours running. then it will need
doing again anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor_owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:21pm

well yes this is very true and if it will last that long i cant see y wd40 will not last another hour if you put some more in. when you have to do it again

steve

Jonnnblue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonnnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 10:04am

you dont need the jigs if you spit the case, as long as you dont remove the flywheels you can just mark them and the belt. i used a silver pen when i did it. removing the engine is very quick and wont have to splitt them

perrin21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perrin21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:29am
i have been using wd40 on these and it seems to be working just fine so far
if reapplied after an hours use.
Jeffwazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffwazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:22pm
I'm using bicycle chain lube. I prop the manic up at a 45 degree
angle, and put a drop against the washer/pinion. It seems to flow
around the gap, so I add another drop and wiggle the clutch-bell a
bit. The lube seems to flow down into the right area, and these lubes
do penetrate bike chains well, so I'm hoping it does the same to the
rollers. Seems good so far.
Beale View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 8:07pm

What would it be lubed with originally? I can't seem to find that info either for my Riot. High speed needle rollers at work would require a lithium based grease up to high load applications that have a high graphite content,

Will start with standard EP2 see how that lasts

stormdrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormdrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2010 at 10:50pm
I think its this.....
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/schumacher-moly-axl e-grease/
Available direct from Schumacher.

It could be this....
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=18466
But I am fairly sure it isn't

When I rebuilt my needles I used ZX-1.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic