www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Nitro > Nitro Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrades/ Improvments/ Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 53>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 2:39am
Kiwi7 do I detect alloy upper mounts on the fusion ........
sirus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 5:56am
yeh i noe somone had a fuel injection system, but it wasnt vapour which is why it didnt work very well, and they didnt have QUT working with them, which leads the world in alot of experimental technologys.
blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 6:14am

Can some one tell me is rb mods in the U.S or U.K.........

Edited by blade954
kiwi7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 8:30am

Purple alloy upgrades....................... (they look great)

My philosophy with regard to this may be different than others but like I said it it is my opinion. I have upgraded the parts that I feel are at the heart of the stength of my car with purple alloy, ie the diff mounts and the upper suspension mount as I feel that this will provide overall strength to my set up. I could go and purchase some other pieces such as the upper wishbones and hub carriers by my feeling with regard to this is that these items which sit on periphery (the outside) of the car will provide strength but if I hit something ( which I can admit to doing) the impact will be transfered through these peices into more weaker parts thus causing damage. The part I have had to replace most in my car are the lower wishbones and imagine that if I had upper alloy wishbone and alloy hub the chances of having to replace this would increase.  I also think you have to be careful as the alloy parts though only fractionally weigh more if its is speed your after then cut down the weight. They also don't come cheap and I sure that if you gave your car a full going over in purple alloy your Mum, Dad or girlfriend/ wife ( or bank manager) would probably look like this.

Anyway here  a couple of pictures of the upgrades that I feel are most useful. You can find them on this site, if you go into product finder put alloy as the key word and select fusion 21 and a list will appear that will probaly have you reaching for the credit card. Hope this is of help, you may disagree.

I also have M4 and M3 nyloc purple alloy nuts but they are just for looks more than anything.

blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 8:40am
Yes i've heard that the alloy hubs can do more damage that you could think, And as I call these things disposible items Hubs,upper and lower arms its definatly cheeper than buying alloy all the time.

Edited by blade954
kiwi7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 9:23am

I would be intersted to see pictures/ text of anyones ideas for anything and why they did it. It dosn't have to be grand just any kind tip( ie starting, performace, handling, looks)

Has anyome fitted a NTC 3 low centre gravity fuel tank to there fusion. I have seen this done but I was wondering if the mounting holes on the fusion chassis match up or whether you need to drill new holes?

Edited by kiwi7
blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 12:56pm
I have ordered my alloy upper mounts along with a few other bits cant wait.... also am going to give the drilling thing on the 3 spd gearing that nitrohead told us....

Edited by blade954
kiwi7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 1:15pm
Come on Nitrohead show us some pictures and instructions........................please. You must have some school holidays coming up where you show us some more of your tricks.
nitrohead5300 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrohead5300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 3:06pm

Kiwi7 no vacations not for a looooooooooooog time The kids at my school have cabin fever!! They can't go out to play after school because of the snow or rain! I have a special winter project going on with my Fusion !! If it works I will post some pictures of it . I stretched the chassis out to 235mm  and mounted Serpent 235mm tires all around. My objective is to improve high speed handling.

Edited by nitrohead5300
kiwi7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 3:17pm

Unlucky mate my students go on holiday this Thursday. Do the 1/10 mugen tyres fit standard onto the hexes on the fusion? (ie I have seen some ellegi ones that look good)

Edited by kiwi7
blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 8:48am

Well here is another tip that I thourght that i would pass on....Its the removal and replacement of the e-start system hex bolt you can do it at home with a vice and basic allen keys so here goe's.......

First I remove the engine from the car now you don't have to do this but makes it easier i think like this........

Second remove the four small allen keys from around the e-start to end up with this.........

So now you will end up with this...........

Now turn the one way bearing around like this..........

Now place the bottom half in your vice taking extreame caution not to over tighten the vice, and squash the bearing like this........

Now put in the allen key and un screw with the one way bearing upside down it will grip on the shaft and let you unscrew the bolt once bolt is out you will end up with something like this.......

Now I give all a wipe down with a rag and then inspect the o-ring and then reassemble the whole e-start system carefully, witch will then look like this........

Now place the one way bearing back in the e-start assembly to which you should have this again......

Now your ready to place the e-start system back in the motor remember to place the concave bit up top like this.......

and once you have the system back in just wiggle the hex nut un till in locates back into the crank groove then replace the four small hex nuts......

hope it helps some newbies

kiwi7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 10:36am

Fantastic Blade, now we are getting things moving mate, keep up the good work and come on you others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another point while you have got the one way bearing out give it a wipe down before you put it back it.

Edited by kiwi7
lee_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 11:13am

This page helped me out a few time's so i thouht i put it on here to help other's check it out if your having engine trouble http://www.hobbytalk.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=New s&file=article&sid=47&mode=thread&order=0&am p;thold=0

kiwi7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 11:18am

Hey I have just checked it out. An excellent link and I am sure very useful for a lot of people.

Thanks mate I have printed it off

blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 11:42am
Exellent link lee_c have also printed it out....
blade954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 1:14pm

Heres another tip when you disassemble your lower arms clean the hinge pins in the drill with some polishing compound on the shaft then put the cloth over and squeese the rag on the shaft and the spin the drill around and polish the shaft to mirror finish. It then should sway freely backwards and forwards on the pin........ 

It also helps to determine if the pin is strait while you spin it around.... 

kiwi7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 5:52pm

There have been a few people asking about replacing gears and also gear meshing. I have currently got my gears off my fusion as I replacing the brake pad with the ventilated R12 version.( which will hopefully arrive tomorrow). Replacing gears is pretty easy,the hardest thing I found was getting 1st gear of once I had stripped the others back. I found that the flanged bearings can sometimes be pretty hard to move, I suggest using a very fine screw driver or some needle nose pliers or you my just have to give the spur gear a gentle pull. As long as you follow your manual and work backwards from page 19 to 17 you should be fine. My black gears had some chipped teeth so I replaced them with the white ones and they seem to be a bit tougher.( they come as white standard at the moment) While you have got your gears off you might as well take your brake out and give it a clean. A tip that I have picked up through reading is that if you havd a carbon fibre/ composite brake pad and steel calipers that you can give the disc a light sanding which will improve brake grip.(thanks to Nitrohead for confirming that for me)  I found the best way to do this was to lay the sandpaper on the table flat and move the disc in slow circular motions. ( you can see the slighty ruffened surface on the brake pad below, remember don't go wild) . So here a couple of pictures to get you on the way. ( If you have all the parts on hand it won't take long) When my new brake arrives tomorrow I will post pictures of how to ensure that your gears are meshed properly back into the pinion bell. One other pointer that may be useful to you. When you take it all apart have some ziplock bags handy there are some small pieces that can easily be lost.

Edited by kiwi7
kiwi7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 7:50pm

Some time ago we talked about boost bottles. I was very happy when I got home tonight and there was a parcel from the US. Inside was one of the boost bottles I had ordered. So I have fitted it in the manner I was told would work from a couple of people in the know and here are the results. I have also seen a couple of fusions in person with the bottle fitted this way. It was really easy to fit as all I had to do was undo a screw and replace it with the screw that came in the kit. By chance it was purple alloy and carbon fibre. I have another one arriving and probably put that on ebay but I will let you guys know if I do that.

Hope you like the picture, it was really easy mod and is suppose to  give a more responsive powerband and increase in bottom end acceleration so I will see how it goes. Hope people are finding the ideas we are putting on of use.

matt1049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt1049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 8:23pm

most of the things here ive got down pretty well from experience but this so far is a great thread that i hope doesnt die, keep up the good work guys and ill post my own stuff when i think of it or grab pics

(this is awesome, i dont know how many times ive tried to help explaining how to remove the screw from the estart to ppl having trouble, some things u just will never miss)

kiwi7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 8:32pm
Thanks mate if others jump on board it will only get better! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 53>
  Share Topic