www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Electric Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

out of the box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madonrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: out of the box
    Posted: 12 April 2010 at 9:30am
well sunday 11th Apr saw the first race for my Mi4LP. I built it as per the
instructions with Chris Grainger mendip set up on and what a car.
Running with a ko propo low profile servo, Nosran ESC, int 5000
batteries, SP 10.5 motor V3. Its the first time on tarmac with a touring car
and put it in the A final. Quality.

Has anyone else took there Mi4LP out this weekend for the first time on
tarmac as i know alot of people have only ran them on carpet. If so did
you change anything and if so, how did it effect it.

one more question on the instructions on the front settings it says link
washers , under ball, under bracket has anyone got any pics of these
changes s i dont under it. Also what difference will it make.
jo90uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo90uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 9:54am

Im guessing it meens place the washer between the ball joint and the link bracket. On the Mi4 the link is slung underneath the bracket, so when they say "under bracket" I believe that is the location they are pointing to, and not at the hub carrier end.

Havent run the car on tarmac, and only once on carpet snice getting it last year. Will be taking her for a spin very soon though, hopefully this weekend

jo90uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo90uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 10:59am

Looking at this again, he might actually meen under the actual bracket itself, so on the two screw points the bracket attachs to the uprights thats where the spacers are.

This will lift the ball up slightly, and slight inward to I believe. think that will make more camber change to the outer wheel pushing it more upright under depression and thus more grip mid corner/corner exit

ian_r View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 1:45pm

If you have a look at the Mi4LP instructions this shows spacers on the ball stud threads before fitting them to the rear camber link mounting plate, and spacers on the mounting screws for the front camber link mounting plate after they have gone through the plate, before screwing them into the bulkheads.

jo90uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo90uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 2:52pm
YZFAndy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YZFAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 4:53pm
If the washers go under the bracket it lowers the roll centre and if it goes under the ball it raises the roll centre.
luke thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 6:19pm
hi all, by shimming under bracket will make car less response and less steering. take shims out will give you more steering on front. the back will give you less grip or more grip.
MattW View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 6:56pm
The real reason for doing this is as follows - in the rear,
spacing the inner links upward means that the rear of the
car uses it's tyres more efficiently. If you were going to
use new tyres every run, you probably wouldn't worry - as
we can't/don't, you need to use them more efficiently. If
you take a new set of tyres, and run the ball lower - you
can see that it will only use the inside of the tyre.

On the front, raising it just "chills" the car.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 9:12pm
hi matt ,totally agree makes car less aggressive and better tyre ware.
shaun m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 10:46pm

this was just the info/help i needed ....

i run my mi4 on carpet , and lately have realised that my car has too much steering , and the rear end is a tad too loose coming out of fast and sharp corners ...

my settings are 0 spacers on the front , and a 2mm spacer under the rear link ..

soo by going by the above info , changing the front to a 1mm shim or so under the mount , and changing from the 2mm to a 1mm on the rear should give it less steering and make the rear end more planted ....

is that correct ....

i know that alot of other things can help, but the above issue is my only gripe with the car ..

for this frydays race meeting, i was going to run the hpi pinks and silvers ( changing from blue to white ) and i was going to change to a thinner rear roll bar ..but as we only get about 1/2 an hour practice before the racing , the car needs to be pretty much sorted ...but i want to change one thing at a time , just didnt know what ....  

Edited by shaun m
madonrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madonrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by jo90uk jo90uk wrote:

Yep, see page 8, i just checked, and will fiddle these
nito the build tonight

cars.com/images/Technical_Info/Schumacher/Current%20Cars/Mi4 LP/Ins
truction%20Manual/mi4-lp_page8.jpg"> http://www.racing-
cars.com/images/Technical_Info/Schumacher/
Current%20Cars/Mi4LP/Instruction%20Manual/mi4-lp_page8.jpg

if this is for step 15 on page 8 what does the washer on page 9 step 16 do
then because on the set up sheet under FRONT SETTING, LINK WASHERS ,
it point to the ball joint and not the washer which goes under the carbon
plate on page 8. Does this change the roll centre or something.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 6:11pm
hi there, by putting washer under plate gives the car more roll into bend and makes car less aggressive. by putting shim under the ball this makes it more aggressive(ideal for tight low grip tracks). as i say there is so many things you can do. i would suggest trying 2.8 front and 2.6 back xray springs as these work more or less any were.
shaun m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 6:50pm

Originally posted by luke thompson luke thompson wrote:

hi there, by putting washer under plate gives the car more roll into bend and makes car less aggressive. by putting shim under the ball this makes it more aggressive(ideal for tight low grip tracks). as i say there is so many things you can do. i would suggest trying 2.8 front and 2.6 back xray springs as these work more or less any were.

cheers for your help , so what would you advise on changing first ..

change the 0 shim to a 1mm shim under the front pale and still change the rear from the 2mm shim to a ?? ..

or fit these hpi pinks and silvers  springs ., as i said my only gripe is that it turns in too good and the rear end is a little loose ...

cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 8:00pm
hi shaun,what are you running on and is it tight or flowing and what is the grip level. let us no and will try and help.
shaun m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 10:00pm

Originally posted by luke thompson luke thompson wrote:

hi shaun,what are you running on and is it tight or flowing and what is the grip level. let us no and will try and help.

hi luke , im running it on carpet , the track changes every 4 weeks ( and 3 to go ) at the moment its  a mixture of tight and fast flowing , and its a high grip carpet ....

thanks for your help , and sorry for hijacking the thread  maybe it will help a few others aswell ...

jo90uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo90uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 8:37am

Try a change at a time, maybe remove the spacer from under the ball link first, do a run, see how the car feels, then add one under the bracket, again see how the car feels.

Thats what I will be doing at West London this weekend

CuttingEdge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuttingEdge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 6:25pm
Ummm Jo does this mean you are one of the Nuttters that run the On OFF Switch known as a Tekin RS Pro ???????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 6:38pm
hi shaun,run with no shims at all in back end, run 1mm shims under plate and no shims in balls .if you run shims balls and plate this just cancells each other out.i run 3.0 xray springs on front and 2.8 xray springs at carpet wars which was very high grip.go with 5 droop on front and 4 droop on back. canvers 1.5 front,2 rear. ride hieght 5.4 rear,5.2 front. 3 toe on rear and 1 front.shock position front middle hole ,rear inside first hole. roll bars, 1.4 front 1.2 rear. run diff tight.run 2.5 top deck if got one.try this and see how you get on let us know thanks luke.
jo90uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo90uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 9:05am

Trev - Aye, that be me......rocket ship time !!!!

Luke - whack that into a setup sheet....my mind was frazzled by no shims in the first sentance hehe

Reuben Manning View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reuben Manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 1:24pm
ive only ever lowered the ball-stud in really low grip
conditions for tight corners (lowering rear camber
plate). Other than that running the rear camber plate at
0 shims under bracket and ball seems to be the place to
be.

Regarding the front, I am usually arround 0 - 2mm under
the camber plate (nothing on the ball stud). Grip
dependant. When the grip comes up I add some shims under
the camber plate, when the grip isnt there the plate gets
lowered. I usually start with 1mm under the front camber
plate for the first run (kit setting i believe) and then
move up or down from there depending on how aggressive
the front end of the car feels.

One thing I have noticed is, if you run the front camber
plate to low vs the grip available, you start to scrub
off to much speed mid corner and the car digs in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic