www.racing-cars.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Electric > Electric Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mi4 vs Mi4LP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m500dpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mi4 vs Mi4LP
    Posted: 17 February 2010 at 8:36am

Currently on your favourite auction site a carbon Mi4 is available for around 150, which seems a bit of a bargain. are there any really crucial differences between the Mi4 and the newer LP? I am comparing the Mi4 Carbon to the Mi4LP race version....

My decision is the Mi4 in one of the above versions vs an xray T2R pro (yes probably the wrong forum to ask but I will anyway!) what are general views on the 2 cars?

(background, I already have an xray T1fk05 and T1R which will be dismantled for spares. My main concern is ease of set up and strength, as my driving is such that I cannot have a car that breaks bits at the slightest provocation!)

Reuben Manning View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reuben Manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 12:22pm
Be careful because there are Fake Mi4's being made in the
far east and going on said auction site. these are cheap
cheap knock-offs. stay well clear of anything that looks to
good to be true. especially if new!

unless they can show you box, instruction manual etc...
CuttingEdge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuttingEdge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 5:01pm
If its a New Mi4 for that money its a Copy , Don't touch it !!!

If its a Second Hand Mi4 it will be better than an Mi4LP Race , although there is nothing wrong with the Race , I have an MI4 a MI4LP Pro and a Mi4LP Race all are Great Cars .......

As for an MI4 or T2 the Mi4 is much better

Edited by CuttingEdge
Kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 10:30pm
I have owned 2 Xrays and recently got a normal Mi4 Pro and I have noticed i am much quicker with the schumacher after about 3weeks of driving it, I like the Schumacher alot more.
shaun m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 10:51pm

i absolutly love my mi4 pro , but now its all ballanced up etc , ive got it at 1470g  .... will fitting the lp chassis save alot of weight / not needing to put loads of weight on it , thus droping the overal weight ...

is there anything else needed to convert it, or just the mi4lp chassis..

also when changing the spur gear to the other side , what size spur is the biggest that can be fitted , i tried it with the 85t fitted and it hits my lipo plate/mount ...

cheers

olev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 8:33am
My chassis weight measurements:
Mi4 original chassis 73.9g
Mi4LP 2.0 chassis 62.3g
Mi4LP 2.5 chassis 80.5g

IIRC the LP chassis weights are without the battery guard and screws, so if you're going to add these, the weight saving is not quite that big.

But you really need no extra weight to balance an original Mi4, at least with normal ~5000mAh LiPos, weighing ~280g or so. Just flip the transmission, move motor in, then move the battery as much outward as needed to balance the car. Done. I had to set the battery approx flush with the chassis edge.

IMHO the main benefit of the LP chassis is that it's narrower and allows the car to roll more without hitting the ground.
Dasbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dasbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 5:39pm
With regards to your flipped spur hitting the lipo holder, I just modified my MI4 holder to make it similar to the LP version, which I noticed does not go all the way round the battery. No more rubbing
YZFAndy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YZFAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by m500dpp m500dpp wrote:

Currently on your favourite auction site a carbon Mi4 is available for around 150, 

I very nearly bought this believing it was a Schumacher. Luckily someone pointed out it was a copy. I should imagine alloy is made of that super soft cheese alloy and the rest would be a low grade steel.

shaun m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 9:56pm

Originally posted by olev olev wrote:

My chassis weight measurements:
Mi4 original chassis 73.9g
Mi4LP 2.0 chassis 62.3g
Mi4LP 2.5 chassis 80.5g

IIRC the LP chassis weights are without the battery guard and screws, so if you're going to add these, the weight saving is not quite that big.

But you really need no extra weight to balance an original Mi4, at least with normal ~5000mAh LiPos, weighing ~280g or so. Just flip the transmission, move motor in, then move the battery as much outward as needed to balance the car. Done. I had to set the battery approx flush with the chassis edge.

IMHO the main benefit of the LP chassis is that it's narrower and allows the car to roll more without hitting the ground.

ok cheers for your help ..its all ready for  frydays race night , but after ive fitted my fan , inttelect 40c lipos , transponder , and a self made battery strap which  weighs 80g , for the ballance .. the car now weighs a total of 1514g ....

how can i move the lipo , out any further , the lipos sat in the knotches in the chassis etc ....

soo dont you think a lp chassi s would make it any better .. ie less hastle to make it lighter etc ...

also thanks to everyone one else for helping ..

olev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 7:37am
If you have the notched kind of lipo, just turn it upside down, with the notches on top, move the battery where you need it and then if you want you can glue some battery locators under the battery (Schumacher sells CF pieces for that). No need for that 80 gram.
shaun m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 7:42am

Originally posted by olev olev wrote:

If you have the notched kind of lipo, just turn it upside down, with the notches on top, move the battery where you need it and then if you want you can glue some battery locators under the battery (Schumacher sells CF pieces for that). No need for that 80 gram.

cheers again for your help ..

my lipos does'nt have the terminals right throu to the other side , so im unable to turn it the other way round ...

ian_r View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 7:50am

Is the narrow chassis of the Mi4LP that much of an advantage over that of the Mi4?

All I've seen from pictures of fully built cars is that you end up with the servo and ESC hanging over one side of the chassis and the Lipo hanging over the other, which to me cannot be good for either roll or impact.

Regards, Ian

jo90uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo90uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 11:06am

I love lamp

also the Mi4 is a great car, way better than the old S400 I drove 2 years ago.

Havent had a taste of the LP, but given its the same car bar a slightly wider looking chassis, id say get either.

Graham Kenny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 3:24pm

I found the Change from the MI4 - Mi4LP to be a good one.

The car just felt alot more balanced and precise, the Narrow Chassis definatly helps with the weight distribution around the car. I run my Drivetrain flipped and it gives me a good balance.

Mind you i did have the MI4STD balanced well but the LP definatly feels better.

I like the Shorter arms, they allow alot more corner speed and the Slim Hex's give more turn in.

A+++++ car in my opinion :-)

CuttingEdge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuttingEdge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 6:02pm
Yes I own Both Mi4 and Mi4LP , my LP is my Top spec race car its Fantastic and better to drive than the Mi4 , This could just be down to better ballence as it ballences Perfectly or it could be the shart arms , its deffanatly a lot sharper on turn in and does hold the corner speed better over my Mi4 .

I personaly would say buy an Mi4LP rather than trying to make the Mi4 into an LP , as its not just the chassi its the arms as well as the layshaft & other bits and bobs that all add up to a better car as well as getting the parts in Black
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic